Some pigeons at last.

fenboy

It's fair to say I have been going through a bit of a pigeon drought of late so I was very pleased to put a tidy bag together today.

A week or so I saw some cabbages that were getting a lot of pigeon attention , unfortunately they are not on land I can shoot but fairly close to land I can.

Yesterday I went to call in on the farmer to tell him I had changed my motor and while chatting to him I saw quite a few pigeons dropping into cabbages on his land , I mentioned this and he said the field where I saw them last week had been shot a few days previously and the pigeon had left that for those on his land .

I asked if it was ok to shoot them as the growth was not too far along to worry about shot in the produce and he said yes no problem at all.

So I returned today after lunchtime and put a couple of hundred up driving onto the field , it is difficult to shoot as it has a busy road one side , ideally I wanted to set up in the middle of the field and shoot away from the road but this would mean the birds would be coming over the hide from behind so instead I elected to go to the far end of the field and hope the magnet would pull birds to me.

I set up with my hide in the open ( no cover) and put out 15 decoys plus two dead birds on landers and a couple on the magnet.

It was soon apparent the birds were going to come nicely to the magnet , it was pulling them up the field and they were dropping into the decoys lovely , the only thing was by the time they had come up the field against the stiff breeze they were a little on the low side and were difficult to pick out at times .

I had some steady shooting until around 16.30 when things slowed up.

I finished up with 77 for the photo picked one more going back to the motor and then returned with the dogs and found a further 5 that I had dropped in the wheat so picked up 83 which I was very happy with though I would have easily passed the 100 if I could have shot birds going to my right towards the road.

IMAG0646_zpsdutxowro.jpg

IMAG0647_zpsdlodt4pg.jpg

IMAG0649_zps17wkrlyy.jpg

Edited by fenboy

What a great report and result, we don't have any cabbages in our area, but I can remember good days on collards and cabbages in North Kent back in the 70's.

Another occasion when a hide out in the open paid dividends.

Hopefully this will give new shooters a bit more confidence about shooting where there are no hedges.

Its been that long ago since I got 80 odd in a afternoon the wildfowling season started then in August :lol: , you done well fenboy and your long wait was well worth it , after looking at all the Pea fields I go on today its going to be a fair ole while before my gun barrels get warm again.

One big field I look after is in a very good area for pigeons and the field itself tick all the boxes with a deviding hedge , no roads , odd trees and holding woods near by and while I am keeping a eye on it the farm are leaving the gas guns off , that is the good bit , the bad bit is a total lack of pigeons showing any interest , but after your post and Mottys last week things might be on the change for the better , Time will tell.

Its been that long ago since I got 80 odd in a afternoon the wildfowling season started then in August :lol: , you done well fenboy and your long wait was well worth it , after looking at all the Pea fields I go on today its going to be a fair ole while before my gun barrels get warm again.

One big field I look after is in a very good area for pigeons and the field itself tick all the boxes with a deviding hedge , no roads , odd trees and holding woods near by and while I am keeping a eye on it the farm are leaving the gas guns off , that is the good bit , the bad bit is a total lack of pigeons showing any interest , but after your post and Mottys last week things might be on the change for the better , Time will tell.

The cabbages I was shooting today only have a small potato field between them and some peas , the peas have not been touched , neither have the other 6 or 7 I can shoot over and some are now in flower.

A pigeon drought no more. Good one.

I have no experience with shooting over cabbages. I suppose that it is succulent food at a time of year when other options (like buds) are running out.

That is my best bag over cabbages JDog , they have caused quite a lot of damage in a very short time.

I know Farmers don't like lead shot over maturer greens, but would steel(or something similar) be a reasonable and acceptable option ?

How do you think your Farmer would react to that suggestion ?

To be honest I am not sure , in theory it should be ok but its still going to put a hole in the cabbage and possibly end up lodged somewhere even though its not toxic I guess it could still cause a customer complaint

If it was not for the road I would have set up in the middle of the field to ensure the shot left it but to be honest with how low the pigeons were coming in even then some would be going through the crop.