Audi Q5

Medic1281

Not sure about the Q5 but the Q7 has a reputation for eating tyres (12000 mikes or less)

and the tyres will be the expensive type.

shocking on tyres nearly every time we get a q5 or 7 in its got illegal tyres i belive (and there's a higher authority than me on this thread) audi say 12000 miles at best

they also seem to suffer the same as an awful lot of VAG cars where they only seem to be involved in frontal collisions

so they've either got bad brakes or drivers

that said they do drive well and are roomy and reliable

as a 30 year motor trade veteran if you think you're going to beat a purpose built sports car in a purpose built suv you are deluded

in my opinion in that class of vehicle you'd have a job to beat an xc90

but thats my opinion and most people however much they protest buy Audi and Bmw cars for prestige

Edited by jonny thomas

The new ones look very good on the inside - very Scandi-cool.

Will the smaller XC60 copy the interior? I like soft roaders, but the XC90 is just too big to be practical for me, but the XC60 is about the right size.

For me the merc is too new, not many about in my price range second hand. The bmw comes out best in all reviews, but I really don't like the look of it! The Q5 ticks most boxes. I really like the look of the XC60 so may have to look into that a bit more, but the reviews aren't great compared to the German makes.

Wow, really? I have just had to replace one tyre on the Tourag that lasted 21,000 miles, i expect the back two will get to 25,000 and its the same platform (other front one suffered puncture). Tyres are around £200 per corner if you shop around so not too bad.

Have you tried www.blackcircle.com I can get branded tyres for my ML for 120 quid or nondescript for about 85 quid, I think Teal started a tread about them somewhere.

My ML seems to eat front tyres :unhappy:

Just seen your post about your ML, sorry but I love mine even though its rusty :lol:

Edited by harrycatcat1

Have you tried www.blackcircle.com I can get branded tyres for my ML for 120 quid or nondescript for about 85 quid, I think Teal started a tread about them somewhere.

My ML seems to eat front tyres :unhappy:

Just seen your post about your ML, sorry but I love mine even though its rusty :lol:

I think the older ones are better than the newer ones, I know a couple of people who have ones 10 years old or more and wouldn't part with them.

Yes, tried black circle, there are a couple of other sites too, I think used tyre shopper last time. To be honest I only buy the higher rated tyres, a hangover from being a biker I think, tyres can save your neck sometimes..

I think the older ones are better than the newer ones, I know a couple of people who have ones 10 years old or more and wouldn't part with them.

Yes, tried black circle, there are a couple of other sites too, I think used tyre shopper last time. To be honest I only buy the higher rated tyres, a hangover from being a biker I think, tyres can save your neck sometimes..

:good:

For me the merc is too new, not many about in my price range second hand. The bmw comes out best in all reviews, but I really don't like the look of it! The Q5 ticks most boxes. I really like the look of the XC60 so may have to look into that a bit more, but the reviews aren't great compared to the German makes.

The missus has a GLC 250d AMG flavour. It was one of the first in the UK. I borrowed it and drove there and back from Nottingham today.

When I put it in Sports + mode it came alive and I managed to overtake 2 x Q5's in quick succession. Has a brilliant 9 speed gearbox.

Rumour has it Merc will release a fully fledged AMG GLC with the fast boy engine in 2017. So watch out for the trade in on this one. :good::lol:

Edited by Whitebridges

shocking on tyres nearly every time we get a q5 or 7 in its got illegal tyres i belive (and there's a higher authority than me on this thread) audi say 12000 miles at best

they also seem to suffer the same as an awful lot of VAG cars where they only seem to be involved in frontal collisions

so they've either got bad brakes or drivers

that said they do drive well and are roomy and reliable

as a 30 year motor trade veteran if you think you're going to beat a purpose built sports car in a purpose built suv you are deluded

but thats my opinion and most people however much they protest buy Audi and Bmw cars for prestige

I think the front end collision thing is a problem with "I have four wheel drive and can hustle down this road really fast" this may be true but all cars have four wheel brakes and if you are going faster it will take longer to stop. Laws of physics and all that stuff.

David.

Best in class now is the Jag F-Pace Limited edition diesel but it's a hefty price. For drive and comfort the Merc GLC 250d is the best I've been in.

The Q5 as far as I know has the Haldex 4x4 system which is not a proper 4x4 system the A4 3.0 tdi Qautro I have was the last model to feature the full mechanical Torson all wheel drive system.

Drive as many mid 4x4's as you can some will suit you better than others, the new A5 3.0 diesel has 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds who needs petrol turbo engines anymore.

The other thing with the Qautro system is it eats its tyres average is ten thousand miles a set of four my cars in 68k has had four sets of continental sport contacts and two full sets of Eagle asymmetric F1's with three replaced due to punctures now it's ready for another set. Won't be putting silly expensive ones on this time but more of a mid range tyre. Tend to drive more sedately theses days :lol:

Edited by figgy

Depends on what the criteria is, had a look around the showroom this week and test driving one tomorrow but the early signs are that it is a very cleverly packaged badge selling exercise, not that in principal I have any problem with that.

The handling is meant to be good (not surprising as it's lower than others in class), run flats are not standard (regardless of what we individually think about these they are standard fit on all others in class especially at that money), no split tailgate (I expect this on anything pretending to fall between the X3 & X5 which is their stated aim), standard seats are likely to need upgrading by £1100 option to get lumber support (I am not fussy about these things but even the salesman agreed this was an issue for him too), defo not as roomy in front or back legroom as even the X3 which is shorter !

The car is cleverly pitched at a high but achievable price point with no discounts available as they're apparently walking out the door unaided. Also clever is the limited engine choices, basically they're relieving customers of X3 2.5 or even 3.0 money with greater standard equipment for 2.0 cars and the cache of new F-Pace badge.

ps. The Mercedes 250 doesn't look enough like a SUV for me.

Best in class now is the Jag F-Pace Limited edition diesel but it's a hefty price. For drive and comfort the Merc GLC 250d is the best I've been in.

Edited by Hamster

Suppose the biggest factor is how much off road driving will you do? If none I wouldn't touch any with a barge pole as a nice estate would be a better drive with much better handling.

As a big family car with plenty of space the Volvo XC 90 is a very good car.

I've a q7 love it running on general grabbers which are good off and on road currently on 55,000 miles and still loads of thread silly soft Audi oe ones lasted 7,000

If it breaks hard to work on as too computer based but I'd not change mine bought orginally due to kids like OP but it's done so much more now.

• 3 weeks later...