Post Hodnet Perspective

I went to Hodnet on Saturday with hopes/expectations of surpassing my previous year`s charity shoot score. I know I`ve improved in the last year and was hoping for a score in the high 50s or early 60s. However as the round went on I found myself simply hoping to hit 50%. The course was clearly harder than the one at Orston and on some of the targets I admit I simply had no clue how to approach them.

No complaints mind you, I like a challenge and I expected some tricky stuff. On that score I certainly wasn`t disappointed. Some of the birds were challenging simply because of distance (the midi at the top of the hill and the driven pheasant leap to mind) but others were simply deceptive because of line and or terrain. Very clever course setting indeed. I set up enough targets to appreciate the skill involved there.

So the round ended and I finished on 49/100. A disappointing score, especially as on two of the very simple stands I dropped just 1 bird on each, either of which would have given me 50 and in truth I missed a few others that I really shouldn`t have. A score in the mid 50s was certainly achieveable for me. However upon checking the scores against last years I noticed that quite a few of last year`s shooters were down by the same 3 birds, or more, that I was down by. So, obviously a challenging course.

On Sunday it was back to normal shooting at my own ground. After the majority of the customers had left we all went out to have a bit of a shoot. We don`t usually do a full round we just try a few pairs on each stand. We set off and I was nailing almost everything. Even my pet hate, the looper, was blasted into tiny fragments on each of the 4 occasions I took it on.

We eventually reached stand 1 at the far end of the ground. A looper coming off the top of the hill and a fast quartering midi that came from behind a tree and passed the cage at around 25-30 yards. I was straight onto them and although I missed a couple of loopers the midi posed little problem. A few of the guys found it troublesome though. The owner of the ground commented that it would be a hard target anywhere and I laughed and said compared to what I`d seen on Saturday it was medium-hard at best. Then after the others had finished I wandered down the safety line to add another 5 or 6 yards distance and asked for the midi again. It was duly sent and promptly dispatched in a satisfying cloud of fragments.

Then onto the 30 bird pub league shoot on Tuesday evening. I cleared the first stand for 6, scored 5, 5 and 4 on the next three stands and then 3 on the difficult final stand for a respectable 23/30 and the team`s high score by some margin. I was moderately pleased with the score but once back at the host team`s pub, after questioning a few of the better shots in the league, I was pleased to discover that I`d outscored a few of them too.

As I`ve already said I was disappointed in my score at Hodnet. However I was also pleased with some of the difficult birds I hit there. It`s made me realise that most of the birds I shoot aren`t really that difficult and that I`m capable of working out and successfully shooting much harder targets. After seeing and shooting at such challenging birds, targets I might once have considered difficult now look relatively simple. And even when they are a little more challenging rather than approaching them with a set idea I`ve learnt to try something new if my initial approach doesn`t work.

The final stand of the pub league being a case in point. This was a report pair of, I guess you`d call them, incoming springing teals. They rose from behind a wall above you and dropped down onto the banking some 30+ yards away. The first pair I took on I waited until they dropped and then shot underneath them missing both. I couldn`t really tell how much I`d missed by and so for the second pair I opted to take them as they were still rising. Bang, bang and it was pair dead, and even though I missed one of the third pair I was still happy that I`d found the best solution to taking them on. I think that before Hodnet I would simply have continued to try and take them on the drop.

So, finally, onto the purpose of this rather rambling post. If you`re a novice or intermediate shooter you shouldn`t be afraid to get out there and shoot some challenging courses and targets. Yes you`re going to miss a lot and perhaps you might doubt yourself, at least initially. But I believe that on the whole it will be a positive experience and that even if you only hit one or two of the more difficult birds, it will, in the long run, improve your shooting and give you greater confidence when you go back to shooting those easier day to day targets.

I know I`ve rather waffled on but if you`ve gotten this far then thanks for reading.

this is the thing i had, would always shoot at kibworth on a sunday with 3 to 4 other shooters. these targets were set up for paying customers and basically to keep them happy. then i started shooting registered shoots boy did i notice the difference. so whether that is the case im not sure.

3 of the stands were from the English open so they were a little bit tougher than normal. i wouldnt say it was the hardest course i have shot nor the easiest. i mainly shoot registered shoots and big competitions ( not very well most of the time), so i guess my outlook on it may be slighlty different.

I must admit i did think that some of the stands were a bit tough for some of the novice shooters that attended, ( no im no expert) i guess they have to try and cater for all levels of ability without knowing what our levels are.

I personally agree with your last statement thou, you will never learn or progress more if thats what you want to do, if you stick to the training stands or only the birds you hit.

I used to struggle with driven when i say struggle i could never hit them, full stop. But after coaching and looking at them from a different way im 100 times better now.

The best tip i can give is always try and get shoot with better shooters than yourself ask questions, but you will find that most will always help you out when asked. unless its a major competition.

I wasn't so happy with my performance at Hodnet, especially the first 3-4 stands (nerves??) but did improve later in the round and cleaned a couple of stands. However, at my club shoot on Sunday (I'm usually In the top 3 in B class) I was on fire! Ended up shooting 39/50, won B class by 6 birds, would have won A class, tied 1st for AA class and was 1 away from top gun!!! If not for 3 stands where concentration dropped (the easy ones) I'd have easily been top gun. I would add that this was a particularly tricky course around a shoot where no one has ever shot a straight 50.

Lots of comments on my shooting, as you say DM, getting out there and really challenging yourself can work wonders 🤗🤗

Gentlemen I suspect you are both guilty of shooting the same ground too often.

You have become familiar with the lay of the land and are able to judge distance better on these known surroundings.

As Kingo says you need to spread your shooting around a bit and get to other grounds, the unfamiliarity will help your shooting no end.

This was also a feeling I had too - then this is coming from an even more novice clay buster than you chaps.

I only really shoot clays around 4 times a year in total - with some pigeon shooting in between (most of my shooting is with a rifle on the rabbits).

However, the last couple of 100 bird's I have been on I have been getting into the 60's - then to go to Hodnet and get a rather embarrassing 42.

As you say though, different grounds, different settings etc... where I mainly shoot it is dead flat land so all this valley and hill stuff was a shock to my system and made it harder for me to judge what to do.

Personally, there were stands at Hodnet where I was just happy to have hit one of the clays and I come away from the PW shoot with some inspiration to start getting into clay shooting more, actually consult a coach at some point too, and also to travel around to some different areas grounds.

To me, the day was about the company and the banter - a better score would have been nice - but it was good to catch up with some friends, meet new members and have a go at a hard (for me) course.

I will be the first to admit I am no great clay shot, and never will be

My scores hover around the 65 to 75 mark at most reasonable grounds.

I found some stands there really baffling, as in without some advice, I could still be there trying to hit them without much success.

It was the use of angles and speeds to deceive, which is clever, anyone can stick mini on the horizon to make shot difficult.

My score was my worst ever at a CS, I don't think I really learnt anything from it but I still had a good time and catering aside, I really enjoyed the ground and the day out.

You have become familiar with the lay of the land and are able to judge distance better on these known surroundings.

As Kingo says you need to spread your shooting around a bit and get to other grounds, the unfamiliarity will help your shooting no end.

This was true for me. I'm started shooting again last September after a 12 year break and "hid away" at my local shoot out of embarrassment. This year however, I've shot the Midlands Grand Prix course, the Gamekeepers fair, the Northern shooting show and now Hodnet, not to mention having my first ever lesson, and am seeing my shooting improving in leaps and bounds.

Just waiting for the inevitable 'slump' now......

I improved my score by 10 from the first time PW shot at Hodnet,

I shoot clays 3 or 4 times a month (50 birders), most of my shooting (95/6%) is at our little club.

Yes I am sort of used to the ranges and layout of the land, we do change the targets every week so there is a difference,

I also shoot the Essex Masters (200 Sporting), the PW charity shoot and the odd club trip away,

I shoot for fun and the craic, I can't afford to shoot registered anymore or even more often than I do,

I hit between 60-70% of what I shoot at and am happy with that,

The only way any of us will get better is to throw money at it via shooting more or having lessons, neither is cheap but it all depends on what you want out of it.

I'm waffling now so will end with this,

Shoot to enjoy it, if you shoot to win competitions then good luck to you, it's horses for courses,

The most important thing is that we are out there shooting.....Game/vermin/competition or for fun

It doesn't matter......enjoy what you do :good:

:shaun:

Hodnet is to me the Mecca of shooting good targets, you will never be beaten by speed or range of the clays. I shot all the course with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes even the long right to left up on the banking . Set up is very important as is pick up points..I always now wherever I shoot miss the really close stuff due to a cataract on my dominent eye which through it's cloudy vision allows my left eye to have a field day.. Will I give up, the hell I will, not when there are clays like that on offer. Just enjoy your shooting and if you need assistance see a good coach like Beretta on here, if you can't afford a coach use your time at the big grounds and watch, watch, watch, the best shots shooting, it will cost you nothing but will teach you loads. from Auntie.

Edited by 100milesaway

Hodnet is to me the Mecca of shooting good targets, you will never be beaten by speed or range of the clays. I shot all the course with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes even the long right to left up on the banking . Set up is very important as is pick up points..I always now wherever I shoot miss the really close stuff due to a cataract on my dominent eye which through it's cloudy vision allows my left eye to have a field day.. Will I give up, the hell I will, not when there are clays like that on offer. Just enjoy your shooting and if you need assistance see a good coach like Beretta on here, if you can't afford a coach use your time at the big grounds and watch, watch, watch, the best shots shooting, it will cost you nothing but will teach you loads. from Auntie.

Great post Auntie :good:

i also shot the whole course with 1/4 1/2 choke and to be would of been happy with 1/4 1/4 :yes:

last time i shot clays was at the last charity shoot . I even dropped 5 birds on my second stand which was an easier stand :oops: the long range midi and standard at the top of the hill i straight-ed and dropped one on the driven .

people see targets such as some at Hodnet and talk them selves out of a kill .

Shot the course with a Beretta 686 28" barreled standard mobil chokes .

sometimes people think to much .

When i found out my score i said to myself a 92 or 93 will win this and wasn't far wrong . forget chokes people with modern cartridges they will out shoot you ( i used Eley blues so mid range price wise )

As a side note , never had a coaching lesson in my life but have shot a few times with Beretta of the forum and he will not take credit for it but he taught me a lot just with shooting with him .

Funny what you can learn by shooting with and watching a good shot ;)

Edited by magman

This was true for me. I'm started shooting again last September after a 12 year break and "hid away" at my local shoot out of embarrassment. This year however, I've shot the Midlands Grand Prix course, the Gamekeepers fair, the Northern shooting show and now Hodnet, not to mention having my first ever lesson, and am seeing my shooting improving in leaps and bounds.

Just waiting for the inevitable 'slump' now......

Rather than a slump you are more likely to reach a plateau, you will feel that you have stopped improving.

You have to keep going and will eventually master the head games that your own head will be playing against you.

The improvements will then be smaller but each one will raise your confidence and increase your ability to read a target.

It may well be helpful to stick to one cartridge and leave choke changing alone and shoot everything with 7 1/2s and reasonably tight chokes.

Good luck

Rather than a slump you are more likely to reach a plateau, you will feel that you have stopped improving.

You have to keep going and will eventually master the head games that your own head will be playing against you.

The improvements will then be smaller but each one will raise your confidence and increase your ability to read a target.

It may well be helpful to stick to one cartridge and leave choke changing alone and shoot everything with 7 1/2s and reasonably tight chokes.

Good luck

Thanks. Already settled on 3/8-3/8 and Kent mmxvi carts and trying to hone technique and consistency.

Really enjoying my sporting, and bashing away at skeet for consistency.

Good luck

Ha HA you was changing barrels if i remember correctly :lol:

Ha HA you was changing barrels if i remember correctly :lol:

If you read my post aimed at advising Glenlivet correctly, I was suggesting how he could improve.

Yes I was changing from 32" fixed 3/4 and full to a pair of 29 1/2" Briley Series One Thinwall choked barrels for the driven and teaching my Son how to read the targets and decide upon which combination to use.

As you know both of us used George Youngs 28 Gramme 7 1/2 Proper Cartridges for every shot.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

I have never shot anywhere like hodnet so was an experience for me.

The distance was something I wasn't used to so was struggling to figure the lead out on some of the clays but think I would of got it with a bit of practice.

When I first saw that high long midi at the top it got in my head and was convinced I wouldn't be able to kill it! Got in the stand took my time and took my time and tried to work out how to kill it and then it exploded to my amazement I killed the thing! Now I think if I had the opportunity to shoot somewhere like that with the excellent layouts available think it would help improve my shooting no end. At the end of hodnet I got 54/100 which I was happy with and hopefully if I went there again I would be looking to try get into the 60s

I think a lot of it comes down to your head and as soon as you get in the mindset that it's hard and you won't hit it that's where your problems start.

If only hodnet was closer I would be back and trying to figure a few of them stands out as really enjoyed challenging myself and think I need to do it more

Thanks for all the replies. I`ve commented on a few.

this is the thing i had, would always shoot at kibworth on a sunday with 3 to 4 other shooters. these targets were set up for paying customers and basically to keep them happy. then i started shooting registered shoots boy did i notice the difference. so whether that is the case im not sure.

3 of the stands were from the English open so they were a little bit tougher than normal. i wouldnt say it was the hardest course i have shot nor the easiest. i mainly shoot registered shoots and big competitions ( not very well most of the time), so i guess my outlook on it may be slighlty different.

I must admit i did think that some of the stands were a bit tough for some of the novice shooters that attended, ( no im no expert) i guess they have to try and cater for all levels of ability without knowing what our levels are.

I personally agree with your last statement thou, you will never learn or progress more if thats what you want to do, if you stick to the training stands or only the birds you hit.

I used to struggle with driven when i say struggle i could never hit them, full stop. But after coaching and looking at them from a different way im 100 times better now.

The best tip i can give is always try and get shoot with better shooters than yourself ask questions, but you will find that most will always help you out when asked. unless its a major competition.

Very similar to myself. I set up and shoot targets that aren`t designed to be too difficult. We always put a couple of tricky ones on but if we made the shoot too hard we`d get complaints.

I did well on one of the open stands, the battue but the stand shooting down at the orange incoming crosser and the green driven incomer I managed only 1 hit. I`m not sure which other stand was from that layout?

I tend to agree that it was possibly a bit too hard for absolute novices. But it`s always tricky setting a course for a mixed group. You don`t want the best shots to straighten it, they have to be challenged, but at the same time you don`t want to completely demoralise the not so good shooters.

You`re quite correct TC. My usual shooting day has always been Sunday and now myself and a couple of mates are always setting up and running a shoot on Sunday. So that`s where I shoot most often. I know the lay of the land and how the traps perform. I still miss of course but I have a much easier time hitting a decent score. I shall have to try and get out to other shoots more often.

Personally, there were stands at Hodnet where I was just happy to have hit one of the clays and I come away from the PW shoot with some inspiration to start getting into clay shooting more, actually consult a coach at some point too, and also to travel around to some different areas grounds.

To me, the day was about the company and the banter - a better score would have been nice - but it was good to catch up with some friends, meet new members and have a go at a hard (for me) course.

That was one of the few consolations I had. I hit something on every stand. But you`re quite correct, the day was about the company and the banter. I enjoyed going round with our squad, everyone was friendly and we all had a laugh.

I found some stands there really baffling, as in without some advice, I could still be there trying to hit them without much success.

It was the use of angles and speeds to deceive, which is clever, anyone can stick mini on the horizon to make shot difficult.

lol, glad it wasn`t just me then. :)

I shoot for fun and the craic, I can't afford to shoot registered anymore or even more often than I do,

Shoot to enjoy it, if you shoot to win competitions then good luck to you, it's horses for courses,

The most important thing is that we are out there shooting.....Game/vermin/competition or for fun
It doesn't matter......enjoy what you do :good:

:shaun:

Likewise, shooting is a fun hobby for me. A day out with people I like doing something I love doing. I have considered trying competitive shooting but I can`t really afford all the travel and perhaps more importantly I think that in the long run it would spoil my hobby. I`m not as bad as when I was younger but I can be fiercely competitive and if I`m in that mindset then a bad performance would irritate me and put me in a very bad mood. Shooting for fun I can just brush off the misses (well, mostly)

Hodnet is to me the Mecca of shooting good targets, you will never be beaten by speed or range of the clays. I shot all the course with 1/4 and 1/2 chokes even the long right to left up on the banking . Set up is very important as is pick up points..

Good advice. I shot my semi-auto on the day and it had it`s usual 1/4 choke in it. I connected with 2 of the longest range birds so there was no doubt everything was hittable with that set up. The only variation I made on the day was a choice of cartridges. Alongside my standard 28gm Velocity+ I had a couple of boxes of 28gm 9s for the closer stuff.

I have never shot anywhere like hodnet so was an experience for me.

The distance was something I wasn't used to so was struggling to figure the lead out on some of the clays but think I would of got it with a bit of practice.

When I first saw that high long midi at the top it got in my head and was convinced I wouldn't be able to kill it! Got in the stand took my time and took my time and tried to work out how to kill it and then it exploded to my amazement I killed the thing! Now I think if I had the opportunity to shoot somewhere like that with the excellent layouts available think it would help improve my shooting no end. At the end of hodnet I got 54/100 which I was happy with and hopefully if I went there again I would be looking to try get into the 60s

I think a lot of it comes down to your head and as soon as you get in the mindset that it's hard and you won't hit it that's where your problems start.

If only hodnet was closer I would be back and trying to figure a few of them stands out as really enjoyed challenging myself and think I need to do it more

Yeah, yeah, yeah, after my helpful tips :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the round of clays at Hodnet :good:

There was something for all abilities and everyone taking part put in a respectful score :yes:

I only used to be a member of a local straw bailer clay club until I braved my first pw shoot back in 2012 at Grange Farm.

I enjoyed that shoot very much and was lucky enough to pick up a voucher for Catton Hall shooting ground where I shot my first ever registered comp (all be it birds only). Since then I didn't renew my membership of the straw bailer, I just got out and appreciated different grounds and varied targets.

I am in no way a competitive shooter, I just get out and enjoy myself. If I get over 50% then it's a bonus, but not always necessary for me to enjoy myself.

Don't beat yourselves up if you don't score what you expect, just enjoy the fact that you are able to be out in the fresh air having a pop at our great sport.

The biggest element for me, after safety, is fun and have lots of it.

Back to this year's charity shoot, DM I was in the same squad as you and I thought you to be a good shot. There were a few stands that hurt your card but you made up for those on the others.

I enjoyed the driven stand towards the top of the hill even if I did give the first clay both barrels, only to hit it with the first :lol:

The little 20b and 21g cartridge combination did me proud, I was pleasantly surprised by my score especially after a slow start.

Roll on next year :yahoo:

Back to this year's charity shoot, DM I was in the same squad as you and I thought you to be a good shot. There were a few stands that hurt your card but you made up for those on the others.

I enjoyed the driven stand towards the top of the hill even if I did give the first clay both barrels, only to hit it with the first :lol:

The little 20b and 21g cartridge combination did me proud, I was pleasantly surprised by my score especially after a slow start.

Roll on next year :yahoo:

Cheers sabs, yes I know you were with me, who could forget "the wiggle" :lol:

Yes on 4 stands I hit 1/8, and that really hurt my card.

I was quite impressed you took on that course with a 20b, you did very well with it.

I`m glad you`ve popped in to comment. Mrs Sabs has a photo I wouldn`t mind getting hold of (ooerr). She caught me hitting that long range midi, wouldn`t mind a copy if possible. If you could either post it here or I can pm you my e-mail.

Cheers

Cheers sabs, yes I know you were with me, who could forget "the wiggle" :lol:

Yes on 4 stands I hit 1/8, and that really hurt my card.

I was quite impressed you took on that course with a 20b, you did very well with it.

I`m glad you`ve popped in to comment. Mrs Sabs has a photo I wouldn`t mind getting hold of (ooerr). She caught me hitting that long range midi, wouldn`t mind a copy if possible. If you could either post it here or I can pm you my e-mail.

Cheers

Ha Ha... the wiggle :lol: I think our ref said I missed out one movement on the one I dropped. :lol:

I love that little 20b. It is actually the good lady's gun but I am allowed to keep the dust from collecting on it (when she's not looking :whistling: I did have her permission to use it for the charity shoot as she was there to keep a eye on me :lol: )

I'll pm you regarding the picture :good:

Edited by shoot and be safe

Thats the beauty of this community and the same with the charity shoot it has that great mixture of people who just love to shoot and go out and have fun. you also have the competition shooters of all levels.

i do love my shooting i would shoot every day if i could. When i enter any form of competition i obviously go out there to win my class. I was over the moon last month i think it was when i shot a pb of 84, didnt matter i didnt win anything in class but for that one day i was over the moon i got into the 80's. Hasnt happened since.

Going out today to try out the new gun and see what massive learning curve i have to overcome now haha