12g SxS vs 20g O/U - small walked up days ?

Salop Matt

Folks am trying to weigh up moving forwards with my gun of choice for my bit of rough / game shooting.

My current 12g SxS has gone belly up with ejectors doing there own thing and fore-end degrading.

I need a replacement and am torn between the above choice.

Alot of walking and not much shooting as we are a small DIY shoot, my Browning sporter is just way to heavy to lug around, I have tried it once and am not in a rush to do it again.

So what are your thoughts ?

ATB

Matt

A 12g actually shoots a squarer charge than the 20g although the 20g may be lighter.

However if you are shooting 28grm shot through the 20g it will kick like a mule, and if you use 24grm shot you will have less shot in the air.

All in all I think a light 12g would be preferable.........................................unless you can find a nice 16g ;)

G

I agree with the 16g suggestion - you should be able to find a nice SxS for not a lot of money - why not go for a Hammer Gun to add a little spice? Your current SxS would be cheaper, I would guess, to repair than the cost of buying a new gun so less of the old Flannel - you just want a new gun :whistling: . If you could find a Damascus barrelled English Hammer Gun in 16G I think you would be delighted at the weight and the handling.

A 12g actually shoots a squarer charge than the 20g although the 20g may be lighter.

However if you are shooting 28grm shot through the 20g it will kick like a mule, and if you use 24grm shot you will have less shot in the air.

All in all I think a light 12g would be preferable.........................................unless you can find a nice 16g ;)

G

But as he says, a lot of walking and not much shooting. So a 28g (or even a 30g) cartridge through a 20b SxS won't be that punchy on the shoulder, if that's the case.

SxS is gentler to carry due to wider body, so weight for weight feels lighter than OU.

If you are after a light feeling gun, a 20b of either configuration is carryable all day long, compared to most 12b.

Look at 7/8 (25g) of no7 which will drop birds to 40 yards witout any problems.

I am under 5lb with my ou 410, 18g of 7 or 7.5 kills to 35 yards, makes those rough walked up days very enjoyable.

16g is a killer on cartridge price and availability - I have herd someone refer to the 16 as: Carry`s like a 20 but hits like a 12.

30 gram 5`s is my preferred load.

Am not bothered on barrel sight picture and am happy with one or two triggers, its down to comfort carrying and performance with the appropriate cartridge.

I would happily keep my current SxS if I could both sort the ejectors and get the iron work secure in the fore piece. But am not sure what this would cost.

ATB

Matt

I have been down the same road and opted for a Aya XXV in 12 gauge mine is a sidelock but they do a boxlock as well. 25" barrels and if I remember correctly it weights 6lb 3oz. I use it on all my walked up shooting and quite fancy a go in a hide with it and It is light enough to chuck around after the quickest of exiting woodcock.

I would personaly go with a shortish barreled SxS boxlock 12ga for this sort of shooting, the SxSs are nicer to carry in my opinion.

A 20ga is ok and well capable, but when i am rough shooting a 12 with a shortish barrel gives you close enough to a 20ga in handling weight etc so i just go with the 12ga SxS.

Use a no 4 in 26 inch myself for this style of shooting, not everybodys cup of tea perhaps, but you could do a lot worse.

Agree with the 16b suggestion. Look for a Belgian 16b sxs.. they are as cheap as chips cause they are so out of favour, but are as good as anything elase many times their value.

I have a 26" SXS and its a sweet thing to Shoot and easier to carry yhan the O/U 20b meddlist I aldo have.

G

Well that's news to me,

I am a bloke of relatively short stature and weight, and I find no problems at all in using 28g shot through my AYA No 2.

If you have tried this, then I would assume that the gun that you used was a very poor fit.

I have been down the same road and opted for a Aya XXV in 12 gauge mine is a sidelock but they do a boxlock as well. 25" barrels and if I remember correctly it weights 6lb 3oz. I use it on all my walked up shooting and quite fancy a go in a hide with it and It is light enough to chuck around after the quickest of exiting woodcock.

Definitely one to consider! I had one and loved it. Superb handling and light enough to carry all day!

Why did I sell it? don't know now....must have been mad!!

GH

Well that's news to me,

I am a bloke of relatively short stature and weight, and I find no problems at all in using 28g shot through my AYA No 2.

If you have tried this, then I would assume that the gun that you used was a very poor fit.

Stop being silly. A 28grm load through a light gun has to kick more than a 28grm load through a heavier gun. It's the law of physics that every action has an equal opposite reaction.

React if you wish, but this is the last I'm going to say on this matter.

G

my lanber game 20g weighs 6lbs 3oz the same as some lightweight 12g models so i would expect recoil to be the same when useing 28gram carts in either gun.the difference is the 20g shoots a tighter pattern.so u hit em or miss em.