12g SxS vs 20g O/U - small walked up days ?

Salop Matt

Stop being silly. A 28grm load through a light gun has to kick more than a 28grm load through a heavier gun. It's the law of physics that every action has an equal opposite reaction.

React if you wish, but this is the last I'm going to say on this matter.

G

I wish some people would read the post before getting all high and mighty and presenting the obvious as their own thoughts.

The post referred to a small walked up day - he wasn't intending to shoot hundreds of shots.

Everyone knows that in a lighter gun recoil will be more than a heavier gun for the same weight of shot - obvious isn't it!

In my beating days on large shoots I saw many ladies firing 28g/30g loads through 20 bores, and they didn't complain after a 'hard day'.

I wish some people would read the post before getting all high and mighty and presenting the obvious as their own thoughts.

The post referred to a small walked up day - he wasn't intending to shoot hundreds of shots.

Everyone knows that in a lighter gun recoil will be more than a heavier gun for the same weight of shot - obvious isn't it!

In my beating days on large shoots I saw many ladies firing 28g/30g loads through 20 bores, and they didn't complain after a 'hard day'.

I think the thing is that recoil is felt differently by different people, and dependant on cartridges, I like 'fast' cartridges especially dark storm and 28g 12 bore through a light sxs is enough for me, 30g hellfire is just about OK, 30g imperial game is ok, 26g imperial game feels almost devoid of recoil.

All I said was that a light gun will kick harder than a heavier one. Jeeze what the hell is the matter with you.

G

This is about right. >>> It wasn't until recently that many people shot 1 oz + 28 grm loads. Most loads were 1-1/16 oz or 1-1/8oz. and for a bigger bang it was 1-1/4 oz. guns dont kick like mules, it's recoil if the gun fits you and you hold it right there is no problem unless your a seven stone weakling

I agree with the 16g suggestion - you should be able to find a nice SxS for not a lot of money - why not go for a Hammer Gun to add a little spice? Your current SxS would be cheaper, I would guess, to repair than the cost of buying a new gun so less of the old Flannel - you just want a new gun :whistling: . If you could find a Damascus barrelled English Hammer Gun in 16G I think you would be delighted at the weight and the handling.

AYA make a nice 16

Handbags at dawn

post-3209-0-26116400-1464367442_thumb.jpg

All I said was that a light gun will kick harder than a heavier one. Jeeze what the hell is the matter with you.

G

Quite simple really - think before you hit the send key when you are calling people silly.

As I said - your post displayed a nil relationship with the original post question.

All the original poster has to consider is finding a gun that he likes and that fits him well, that he can afford and that he can put the lead on the target with. For walked up any cal will do If he can put the lead on the target. Carts for 16 and 28 are pricey but he won't be using hundreds. I have 28,20 and 12 in all types and I wouldn't pick any one over another. As far as I am concerned a gun is just a tube that the shot goes up to be guided to take a target of with. The wood and engraving are secondary to being able to shoot with.

Salop Sniper........whatever you decide I hope you enjoy it.

Even if it is a 20g that kicks like a mu.................................Sorry a nice soft shooting 20 bore ;)

G

Well, you've done very well for someone who pompously declared 4 posts ago that this would be my last post on this matter.

Try a decent, well-fitting 20 bore - you may well change your mind on that as well.

Live long and prosper. Enjoyed the skirmish. If you lived close to me then I would even consider buying you a pint.

Guest cookoff013

gauges are virtually immaterial now,

if you are after a light gun, buy a light gun.

i`ve reloaded light shells before now, 32g #4 1000fps, absolutely no recoil in a sxs game gun, hits like a freight train, handles like a cup of tea.

Folks am trying to weigh up moving forwards with my gun of choice for my bit of rough / game shooting.

My current 12g SxS has gone belly up with ejectors doing there own thing and fore-end degrading.

I need a replacement and am torn between the above choice.

Alot of walking and not much shooting as we are a small DIY shoot, my Browning sporter is just way to heavy to lug around, I have tried it once and am not in a rush to do it again.

So what are your thoughts ?

ATB

Matt

hello matt, let us know what you decide to buy, i was hankering to buy a 12g XXV like i had in the 60s great light game gun , well maybe one day :)