Scotlands airgun amnesty

Scully

And the power of being economical with the truth.....

https://ukshootingnews.wordpress.com/2016/05/31/scottish-airgun-surrender-campaign-nets-0-45-of-provinces-plinkers/

...or should that be facts? Facts such as the airgun which was used to kill the toddler was owned by the toddlers father and was being considered for use as a part exchange mechanism for the drugs the toddlers father was buying from the man who killed him. It is anyones guess as to why it was loaded, indoors.

Am I justified in being angry or am I just turning into a grumpy old man? It seems the older I get the angrier I get. :yes:

I'm totally indifferent to the amnesty; it is absolutely meaningless.

...plus the amnesty ends WEEKS before the ban is given Royal assent, and over SIX MONTHS before it will become an offence to still be in possession of an airgun.

The costs & paperwork & admin. aspects of the new licence will not be announced until after the assent date of July 1st (no doubt media attention that date will be on the Somme: but only IF the meeja realise that was 100 years ago to the day!)

The Scots gubmint will make as neat a job of it all as they did of the new trams; total incompetent *******.

I have 4 airguns 1 i am going to sell and the other 3 will be cut up with an angle grinder in to bits and thrown in the council skip, i dont want to give the cops the chance to do as they have done in the past in Edinburgh, when guns/knifes handed in were sold on or ended up in private collections

We've needed to have airguns on an FAC here for years. It serves to keep them out of the hands of the unscrupulous characters in our society. For those who have a genuine interest or need for an airgun, they will still be accessible. It's another hoop to jump through, but as a shooter if you don't jump through that hoop, you're just lying down and admitting defeat.

We've needed to have airguns on an FAC here for years. It serves to keep them out of the hands of the unscrupulous characters in our society. For those who have a genuine interest or need for an airgun, they will still be accessible. It's another hoop to jump through, but as a shooter if you don't jump through that hoop, you're just lying down and admitting defeat.

By "here" I take it you mean Northern Ireland?

How successful was the FAC system there at keeping guns "out of the hands of the unscrupulous characters"?? Not very!

It's not about saving lives it's about control, political point scoring & media sound bites.

By "here" I take it you mean Northern Ireland?

How successful was the FAC system there at keeping guns "out of the hands of the unscrupulous characters"?? Not very!

It's not about saving lives it's about control, political point scoring & media sound bites.

Making assumptions based on media reports doesn't detract from the fact that our licencing arrangements have undoubtedly prevented airgun related incidents. There will always be those who can and will get hold of airguns and firearms illegally, but there are also those who would have an airgun if it was as simple as walking into a shop and buying one. Petty criminals etc that have very little control over their emotions and who just aren't right in the head.

I'm all for airgun to be licensed.If you're law abiding citizen, you get a licence.just the same as a shotgun/firearms licence. It's a good measure to take out the all the neds.If your passionate about airguns, a licence will not be an issue.

At the end of the day, they did and can kill, so you must prove you can be responsible for the safe use of an airgun. Sure they will still be un-licensed one's In circulation,so If the airgun Is In the wrong hands-they get the jail.

Carry on the anything can kill logic.....for Scottish deaths per annum from alcohol....or smoking....

Oops best not.

Tax revenue would take a hammering if these two harmless social activities were banned.

BUT, why not? Tens of thousands of lives saved.

Anyone suggesting it in Holyrood would end up more disappeared than Lord Lucan!

ETA: Still amazes me that people don't see this as the start of SNP gun legislation. They're not stopping at airguns. Full devolution will mean a complete ban.

Edited by saddler

I'm all for airgun to be licensed.If you're law abiding citizen, you get a licence.just the same as a shotgun/firearms licence. It's a good measure to take out the all the neds.If your passionate about airguns, a licence will not be an issue.

At the end of the day, they did and can kill, so you must prove you can be responsible for the safe use of an airgun. Sure they will still be un-licensed one's In circulation,so If the airgun Is In the wrong hands-they get the jail.

It isn't a license which keeps law abiding people law abiding; law abiding people don't need licenses as they don't go around shooting peoples pets or other people. The biggest shooting atrocities in this country were all carried out by people who were licensed to own firearms.

People seem to see a license as some kind of cure all for societies ills.

Politicians can now sleep soundly in their beds knowing they have done 'something' in the eyes of the public, knowing full well it's all deception because what they have done will have absolutely no effect on airgun crime whatsoever.

I know, let's license knives!

It isn't a license which keeps law abiding people law abiding; law abiding people don't need licenses as they don't go around shooting peoples pets or other people. The biggest shooting atrocities in this country were all carried out by people who were licensed to own firearms.

People seem to see a license as some kind of cure all for societies ills.

Politicians can now sleep soundly in their beds knowing they have done 'something' in the eyes of the public, knowing full well it's all deception because what they have done will have absolutely no effect on airgun crime whatsoever.

I know, let's license knives!

I think that is pretty close! :yes::good:

I may stand corrected but I understand if I now wanted to purchase an air weapon (from an RFD) in Scotland I need to have a air weapon licence and if you already have a FAC or SGC and own an air weapon then you can keep it until you need to renew your certificates. It will take years of an amnesty to recover all the air weapon that were only used for the odd plinking.

I don't know what I will do with mine, haven't used it for a while.

I may stand corrected but I understand if I now wanted to purchase an air weapon (from an RFD) in Scotland I need to have a air weapon licence and if you already have a FAC or SGC and own an air weapon then you can keep it until you need to renew your certificates. It will take years of an amnesty to recover all the air weapon that were only used for the odd plinking.

I don't know what I will do with mine, haven't used it for a while.

From January 1st 2017, yes.

Why any person should be expected to surrender their legally bought property without recompense is beyond me.

I was hoping for mass non-compliance, similar to the S1 shotgun legislation brought in following Hungerford. :)

Edited by Scully