paid stalks

Mike Dickinson at Calton Moor. Just up the road from you?

I did try ringing today but looking for a 'personal review' as I don't want to part with my hard earned cash to not even see anything :lol:

I do understand however that with stalking/hunting there are blank days however with it being my first stalk would like to maximise my chances :)

is scotland too far try my friend winston churchill in argylegood quality set up

Cheers for that however it Is a bit far for me.

Even on a blank u should still be learning and a decent stalker will probably be pointing out fresh signs, prints, poo and any fraying etc as u go. Amazing how u can have a blank even in a wood full of deer if ur lucks off

If ur not fussy u tend to get more value for money on the females (does, hinds) than shooting stags/bucks usually more about too and less cover. But would mean waiting till end Oct

Cheers for that, I can stalk them and have spent many years getting within a few yards of them. I can track them and spot signs of them, as you say, tracks, poo, fraying. The only thing I havnt done is shot one! Id like ideally to go in August at the start of the season, after a young buck/stag as I think it will be more memorable!

Possiblt too late if u've already booked and possibly a bit far, but if u wanted a really memorable 1st stalk u could have a go on the red's in totally different environment to wot ur used too. Push the boat out and go away for the night :)

There is a boy Solway stalker based around dumfries (so not that far into scotland) he has pretty good reviews on Sd site and his prices are never that dear either, he has access to goats and boar too. Really nice country where he stalks, pretty sure u'd remember it, althou i'm sure ur remember it where ur going too. Enjoy

Possiblt too late if u've already booked and possibly a bit far, but if u wanted a really memorable 1st stalk u could have a go on the red's in totally different environment to wot ur used too. Push the boat out and go away for the night :)

There is a boy Solway stalker based around dumfries (so not that far into scotland) he has pretty good reviews on Sd site and his prices are never that dear either, he has access to goats and boar too. Really nice country where he stalks, pretty sure u'd remember it, althou i'm sure ur remember it where ur going too. Enjoy

as a total newbie to stalking what kind of prices are we talking for a days stalking on deer

How fat is ur wallet?

Will depend on all sorts of factors almost too many to mention and whereabouts in uk u are

Generally speaking u should get a 4hr am or pm stalk on roe does for 60-90 quid or a day on red hinds for about 150ish. But there may be alsorts of things on top with some stalkers, a cheap outing rate+ a shot/kill fee so cheaper stalk if u don't see anything, or limits to how many u can shoot.

When u get on to the male deer price can be eye wateringly expensive esp if u want a medal class deer, thou not always the case and someplaces charge the same price for any buck/stag.

I'm sure if u search here will be plenty of previous threads on here will go into more detail

How fat is ur wallet?

Will depend on all sorts of factors almost too many to mention and whereabouts in uk u are

Generally speaking u should get a 4hr am or pm stalk on roe does for 60-90 quid or a day on red hinds for about 150ish. But there may be alsorts of things on top with some stalkers, a cheap outing rate+ a shot/kill fee so cheaper stalk if u don't see anything, or limits to how many u can shoot.

When u get on to the male deer price can be eye wateringly expensive esp if u want a medal class deer, thou not always the case and someplaces charge the same price for any buck/stag.

I'm sure if u search here will be plenty of previous threads on here will go into more detail

I was contemplating speaking to solway stalker as I'm a member of sd. As for prices Il be paying £70 for the stalk, no shot fee bar ammo at aprox £1 a pop and no medal/trophy fee. That's on the reds. Pricket, stag or hind :)

• 2 weeks later...

+1 for Colin aka Solway stalker, I've done 4 visits and had 5 deer and 2 suckling boar, my last visit was @ 6 weeks ago I got 2 roe in the morning including a 6 pointer and the 2 boar in the evening / night, that was a great experience. He has loads of land to go at and will try his very best to get you on something. I will go up again on the does later in the year when my venison runs low.

S

How fat is ur wallet?

wow pretty expensive then realy paying for walking round a field and not shooting anything . No wonder lads catch them with dogs for free lol

wow pretty expensive then realy paying for walking round a field and not shooting anything . No wonder lads catch them with dogs for free lol

Come on Kev, get real.

Where's the problem if all fees are declared out up front.

No Like No Do!

I assume you like to be paid?

By the time fuel cost and Vat gone where's the wage?

In the carcase at the butcher.

He's not going to get rich just taking you for a walk is he?

As for your comment about dog men, I best not comment, but if not a joke on your part, take a guess?

Why would it be a joke ? Only joke was the hunting act banning it in my eyes. But I guess I would say that as sight hounds are my true passion and shooting comes second . I would much prefer to pay to run a sight hound on a deer than pay to shoot one .

As for me been paid .. Well yes is like to get paid for my work but as my job is hard work involving heavy lifting I'd expect to be paid however paying 60 to 150 for walking round a field doesn't realy appeal to me (if I blanked that is )

• 3 weeks later...

I'd say ur right old man.

But if u go fishing do u only pay if u catch something or if u go to fitba/rugby only play if ur team wins?

If ur really only enjoy being out wen ur pulling the trigger ur in the wrong sport, u should be enjoying just being out with nature abd the chance of a shot is a bonus

The stalker could/will be paying out decent money for a lease, then he has his overheads 4x4, quad, ins plus depend in in deer species may have a short season with stuff to shoot days when no clients or weathered off.

Not many stalkers get rich doing it more a passion/lifestyle job

If u think there is no heavy lifting dragging deer out off woods/off hills? Even a couple of roe can get fairly heavy by the time u get back to ur motor.

Not a lot of SE boys will work for £120 a day never mind when u have quite a lot of overheads and work is not regular 2 stalks 5 days a week

My opinion on this, is you dont want to pay for someone to take you out you don't have someone to take you out :lol: I am more than happy to pay for the privilege hence the reason I'm paying. All fees have been said and I'm happy with the price, what more can you ask? He has his rifles, ammo, vehicle, dogs and a Business to maintain... Cant be done free now can it?

• 3 months later...

+1 for Colin aka Solway stalker, I've done 4 visits and had 5 deer and 2 suckling boar, my last visit was @ 6 weeks ago I got 2 roe in the morning including a 6 pointer and the 2 boar in the evening / night, that was a great experience. He has loads of land to go at and will try his very best to get you on something. I will go up again on the does later in the year when my venison runs low.

S

Another vote for Colin, he's spot on. Put me at ease for my first stalk and great country too!

• 2 months later...

A short while since I couldn't do that other stalk however whilst up here in the forest of Dean for a week I've just booked myself on to another stalk with 'redcoat' off the stalking directory. I have to say, it's not a bad price what so ever with the morning stalk a minimum of 3 hours for £60... That's use of the estate rifle and ammo. If I do bag a roe doe another £40 to take it home. Well the stalks on Wednesday and it means getting up at 5 on my holiday but I'm excited now :lol: