Any electricians?

walshie

We've got spotlights in the bathroom that use those GU10 bulbs. Is there a transformer or something in the light fitting?

Recently they have started flickering and going dim, then back to normal, all in a few seconds. Next day they are fine again.

The other night, in the middle of my crossword :lol: they went out completely and stayed off. I went to the light switch and switched it off then on again and they worked perfectly. hmm.gif

Would a new light fitting sort it or should i get a sparks to have a look?

Edited by walshie

GU10's don't have transformers.

First check, try a new bulb or try your bulb in another fitting.

It could be the fitting (the part your bulb twists onto) is faulty, very easy change and any decent electrical store will have them so you won't need a complete new downlighter.

Cos

Thanks, but I'm pretty sure it isn't the bulb. It's a cluster of 4 bulbs and they all do it. The total blackout then when I switched if off and on it was ok doesn't make sense to me.

AH, if it's a cluster and they are all doing it, it is almost certainly a connection (possibly loose) issue; And that will be either where the electrics connect to your cluster, or at the switch.

Again, if you can wire a plug, you can do a simple check and tighten yourself; Make sure to switch the power off at the fuse box, and before touching any wires, just double check there is no power going to where you are checking using an electrical tester (£2 at B&Q if you haven't got one).

Edited by Cosd

AH, if it's a cluster and they are all doing it, it is almost certainly a connection (possibly loose) issue; And that will be either where the electrics connect to your cluster, or at the switch.

Again, if you can wire a plug, you can do a simple check and tighten yourself; Make sure to switch the power off at the fuse box, and before touching any wires, just double check there is no power going to where you are checking using an electrical tester (£2 at B&Q if you haven't got one).

I didn't ask, but are these lights on a dimmer switch?

GU10's don't have transformers.

First check, try a new bulb or try your bulb in another fitting.

It could be the fitting (the part your bulb twists onto) is faulty, very easy change and any decent electrical store will have them so you won't need a complete new downlighter.

Cos

Beet me to it

We've got spotlights in the bathroom that use those GU10 bulbs. Is there a transformer or something in the light fitting?

Recently they have started flickering and going dim, then back to normal, all in a few seconds. Next day they are fine again.

The other night, in the middle of my crossword :lol: they went out completely and stayed off. I went to the light switch and switched it off then on again and they worked perfectly. hmm.gif

Would a new light fitting sort it or should i get a sparks to have a look?

Are you sure they are GU10s? From your diagnosis from above they could be low voltage and the transformer is starting to play up or if they are GU10 check for the main connection that feeds the 4 spots could be a bad connection