Can I take a friend clay pigeon shooting if he has no shotgun certific

Depends on the ground you are going to if they have the I think section 11 exemption and they are ok with it (some places insist on an assessment for new shooters before they let them lose on the ground).

Also the person must be able to use a shotgun legally i.e. not be a prohibited person under the firearms act.

Edited by Zetter

Zetter's answer is correct. Basically, you must ask the ground what their policy is, and abide by that.

For example, at one ground I know, they insist on any non-SGC holder having a lesson, and ensuring they fully understand gun safety, before they are allowed to shoot under your supervision.

On another ground I know, they are happy for a non-SGC holder to be under your supervision from the start.

Both of those grounds have S.11 exemptions in place.

If, on the other hand, it's just you and a mate on land that you own, and doing it very informally, then crack on.

The only proviso in all cases is whether or not the person is prohibited.

Section 21 of the firearms act allows non prohibited persons to be in possession of a shotgun whilst they undergo instruction at a shooting ground where a Section 11 (6) issued by the Chief Constable is in place.

Some grounds simply require the signing of a Section 21 declaration and then allow a SGC holder to mentor the non SGC holder.

Some grounds require a basic lesson to be taken by the non SGC holder with one of the grounds coaching staff prior to being allowed to shoot at the ground.

Our current policy at Rixton & Astley Shooting Club is currently the former; however, having witnessed some shocking DIY first shotgun lessons at the ground recently I'm afraid that the latter will have to be implemented very soon.

webber

Section 21 of the firearms act allows non prohibited persons to be in possession of a shotgun whilst they undergo instruction at a shooting ground where a Section 11 (6) issued by the Chief Constable is in place.

Some grounds simply require the signing of a Section 21 declaration and then allow a SGC holder to mentor the non SGC holder.

Some grounds require a basic lesson to be taken by the non SGC holder with one of the grounds coaching staff prior to being allowed to shoot at the ground.

Our current policy at Rixton & Astley Shooting Club is currently the former; however, having witnessed some shocking DIY first shotgun lessons at the ground recently I'm afraid that the latter will have to be implemented very soon.

webber

Probably sooner than later, John. Just the simple task of taking a gun from and returning it to a gunslip, tells me if I need take cover or not !