Fox club

WelshMike

Yep, very rarely get a blank however, a few weeks ago I think I had about 6 blanks in a row, just bad luck and a few lamp shy fox making things very frustrating, a nv spotter soon got me back on track. I've got a xq50 thermal on order and should be here in a week or so, looking forward to that!

I have taken a disliking to you after that comment about a spotter...something to do with envy I think :lol:

I need to sort out some sort of spotter just not sure I can get away with being able to spend as much money as I want to. Any advice on good units?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have taken a disliking to you after that comment about a spotter...something to do with envy I think :

I need to sort out some sort of spotter just not sure I can get away with being able to spend as much money as I want to. Any advice on good units?

lol:drop a message to steve_b_wales off here, he sorted out a spotter and ir for me that works well and can spot out to 300 yards. I use it to spot a fox then call or try to get in range and set the rifle up ready so the first time foxy sees the lamp I'm on it and even if it runs straight away they normally stop for a final look back! When the thermal turns up I'll be setting up the dedicated nv rifle again. Edited by foosa

Hey Mike ...you should think yourself lucky that I will gracing you with my presence .... :lol::lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway .. here's a vixen I had the other night near the pen :yes:

trio%20002_zpskz2ruma5.jpg

:lol::lol::lol: Well done on shooting yet another tame town fox mate....Wait until you try and shoot one of my welsh country foxes...you will be in for a rude awakening thats for sure :lol::lol::lol:

No tame town foxes up here mate ......true wily country foxes.

The only foxes left will be the shy ones down your way seeing as you've already cleared up all the easy ones :lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Thats true I have shot all the easy ones as I need to make you work a bit harder then me. I have one farm that hates foxes with a passion and he would be most upset to know i have left the fox family alone as i wanted to save them for you. ....and all i get from you is abuse.

Hello guys, I'm enjoying reading your successes. I've a question related to Tripods. I'm shooting foxes using 12lb of kit- Tikka T3 Varmit (22 250), mod, glass and NV kit and I need a solid tripod with about 140 degrees motion in the horizontal plane scanning over flat ground with rising hill as backstop. I've seen some US based products and like the EMCalls.com . I'd appreciate some guidance on best products and swivel mounting. Most of my shooting is standing and some seated- no prone due to weather and vegetation height!

Thank you in advance..

Talks soon

Hello guys, I'm enjoying reading your successes. I've a question related to Tripods. I'm shooting foxes using 12lb of kit- Tikka T3 Varmit (22 250), mod, glass and NV kit and I need a solid tripod with about 140 degrees motion in the horizontal plane scanning over flat ground with rising hill as backstop. I've seen some US based products and like the EMCalls.com . I'd appreciate some guidance on best products and swivel mounting. Most of my shooting is standing and some seated- no prone due to weather and vegetation height!

Thank you in advance..

Talks soon

PM sent.

Thank you in advance..

Talks soon

Have you considered something like the Primos Trigger sticks in the tripod version? I appreciate that this isnt rifle mounted but at least you dont need to add weight onto the rifle. I have a Howa 1500 varmint with a N750A on top and it isnt light. I have a bipod fitted as a good bit of ground allows prone shots but I use the trigger sticks when shooting on awkward or flat ground and they are pretty good.

Have you considered something like the Primos Trigger sticks in the tripod version? I appreciate that this isnt rifle mounted but at least you dont need to add weight onto the rifle. I have a Howa 1500 varmint with a N750A on top and it isnt light. I have a bipod fitted as a good bit of ground allows prone shots but I use the trigger sticks when shooting on awkward or flat ground and they are pretty good.

same here the the primos trigger sticks are great with normal sticks you got to keep relocating sticks if fox runs about a bit the primos tripod alows full 360 panning on any ground

I use a Carbon Swarovski tripod, not the cheapest make by far, I've had mine couple of years and in use constantly and still no signs of wear and light as a feather.

It's is probably one of the best stable shooting platforms I've had, it folds down to nearly prone, the legs splay out as well as down

It's so stable no wobble just a solid shooting stick

If you have a look on google for carbon tripods swaro's you can get the rifle y piece rest as well

Well worth it

Good luck

Patrol

here one from the other night went for a few hours seen more than we have seen for a long time now somes been cut but no good shots on or was off as soon as lamp was on them just having a last look around this one came trotting down the side of keepers house only had 17 in hand IMG_20160809_002049_zpsgm9vb8dn.jpg

Edited by babs2020

Thought I'd better put one on for welshy

22.250 53 vmax

Nice one bud :good::good::good::good::good::good:

here one from the other night went for a few hours seen more than we have seen for a long time now somes been cut but no good shots on or was off as soon as lamp was on them just having a last look around this one came trotting down the side of keepers house only had 17 in hand IMG_20160809_002049_zpsgm9vb8dn.jpg

Well done mate. Lovely shot placement by the looks of it :good:

Nicely done Babs

Just set up 200 yds away from the the long side of the pen track, waiting waiting waiting according to the stealth cameras old Charlie visits around 10:30. Got a little 222 surprise waiting here for him.

Patrol

Edited by Patrol

Well done Patrol.

Out to a couple of farms last night. Saw a cub at the fist one that I missed off the sticks at 20 yards then managed to get a second shot after through a double fence at about 110 yards and dropped her on the spot. As the rifle is zeroed for about 175 yards I think it was so close the round went underneath the fox due to "key holing"....or more likely thats an excuse and I fluffed the shot :lol::lol::lol:

Over to the next farm which is a chicken farm so not a fan of foxes. Parked up, got out, saw a cub about 30 yards away, rifle rested on the gate, dead fox.

Must do better next time but considering I am not the best shot I should be happy, I got them in the end .

Cheers Mike, they keep coming

Nice bag there Foosa

They look (apart from the odd hole) in really good condition

I've been on a few scraggy foxes lately, but I'm sure it's the ones coming from an old dump, they appear fit but not carrying any weight which you would expect with all the food about right now

Good luck guys, out on foot fox patrol around the pens sat/ sun night.

Patrol

I got a small dog Monday night at 12.10am nice early one for a change. And iam out tonight as we have one that's got a taste for duck. Its been nice to catch up on sleep this week.

Well that was 5 wasted hours. Got up into the tower at 11pm waited until 4am nothing showed up. Got to work at 9.30 and they said " the fox has killed 5 ducks last night right in front of your tower" I thought no way it was getting light when I left, so we had a look at the ducks and they had all been killed by seagulls. So I had sat all night for nothing.

I have been after this smart bottom fox now for 3 nights, won't do calls just not interested. Walks all around the perimeters wrong side of the hedge. Stands out at 425 yards and skylined,at 20.30 -21.00, it's doable but not in that position.

This one's going to be worth the effort for sure.

Well that was 5 wasted hours. Got up into the tower at 11pm waited until 4am nothing showed up. Got to work at 9.30 and they said " the fox has killed 5 ducks last night right in front of your tower" I thought no way it was getting light when I left, so we had a look at the ducks and they had all been killed by seagulls. So I had sat all night for nothing.

never seen ducks killed by seagulls.

I have been after this smart bottom fox now for 3 nights, won't do calls just not interested. Walks all around the perimeters wrong side of the hedge. Stands out at 425 yards and skylined,at 20.30 -21.00, it's doable but not in that position.

This one's going to be worth the effort for sure.

Sounds like a real challenge and test of your skills.