Fox club

WelshMike

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One from Friday night. This one came into a tenterfield whistle, watched him come from a long way off through the thermal then on with the lamp ,that stopped him 50 yards out and the .204 stopped him permanently.

My trusty old ATN Voyager has served me well, but 'tis now on the blink. Could I ask what thermal you're using, please?

One from Friday night. This one came into a tenterfield whistle, watched him come from a long way off through the thermal then on with the lamp ,that stopped him 50 yards out and the .204 stopped him permanently.

Nicely done Brendan :good: Weather here has been foul of late so havent been out much. Hopefully it is set to clear shortly so back out in the next couple of days. Glad to see the new toy is proving to be a valuable addition to the kit list (if you get fed up with it I will rehome it for you :lol: )

Nicely done Brendan :good: Weather here has been foul of late so havent been out much. Hopefully it is set to clear shortly so back out in the next couple of days. Glad to see the new toy is proving to be a valuable addition to the kit list (if you get fed up with it I will rehome it for you :lol: )

Ha! Don't think I'll be getting fed up with it any time soon Mike, but if I do I'll keep your generous offer in mind! The weather here has been shocking recently so not been out much either, I'm hoping tonight will be ok as I really need to get on top of the ever expanding rabbit population around here.

Ha! Don't think I'll be getting fed up with it any time soon Mike, but if I do I'll keep your generous offer in mind! The weather here has been shocking recently so not been out much either, I'm hoping tonight will be ok as I really need to get on top of the ever expanding rabbit population around here.

Thought that may well be the answer bud :lol: May need to dust the armbands off for some bunny shooting myself, if they havent all drowned. Good luck and try and stay dry mate.

The weather finally behaved last night so I headed out to a couple of farms to see what the local fox population was up to.

Had a mooch round at farm 1 for 3/4 of an hour, spotted a fox, over to the NV and gave a quick squeak to stop the fox...big mistake, it turned and ran off and didnt look back. Fortunately it only ran into the next field and decided to have a nose around the sheep troughs so I managed a shot off the sticks at about 100 yards. Nice vixen in fine condition

23.11.16%20Fox%20no%201-%20vixen_zpsdxdw

Over to farm 2 where there always seem to be foxes of late. Onto the first part of the farm and out with the foxpro and vixen call. Within a couple of minutes I caught a flash of eyes so over to the NV and spotted a badger where the eye shine had come from but the eye shine was that of a fox..who was about 10 yards from the badger. Needed to move up the field for a shot but one presented at about 90 yards and fox no 2 was down. Young dog fox

23.11.16%20Fox%20no%203%20-%20Vixen_zpsb

Headed to the other side of the farm where I had spotted a fox the week before in a small copse. Set the caller up and spotted the fox but it wouldnt come out despite lots of different calls. I got to about 30 yards and finally had a clear shot through the fence so shot her in the centre of the chest. Small vixen and no 3 down. Cant get the pic to load for this one.

I decided to head to the last part of the farm that borders another property that often holds a few foxes. Set the caller up on vixen call and within 2 seconds I woke up the fox that was having a snooze about 20 yards away. Got the rifle on the sticks and saw the fox limping off (front leg injury) quick squeak stopped her and then the 58 grain round permanently stopped her. As I reloaded I noticed a second fox the far side of the field. Over to the vixen call and he came and sat just the other side of the fence. Finally a clear shot presented and Fox no 5 was down. He was a big old lad and must have been waiting for his girlfriend that I had just shot.

23.11.16%20Foxes%204%20%205%20dog%20and%

All in all a good nights work and takes my total to 101, my first ever foxing century in a 12 month period.

Thanks for reading

great numbers mike. i am not near that but have been knocking a good few numbers over recently just need my apprentice to do the write ups. All of mine are shot under the lamp or daylight but i have finally give in and recently set up with nv so be interesting to see if numbers improve next year. plus access to alot more ground :yes:

Jesus Mike , RSCPA seem to be dropping off for you a lot lately , lucky ****** , wish they would drop some off for me. I managed a vixen last night that made the mistake of calling just as I got out of the car ... 71 for me.

Well done on your century anyway :good:

Thanks...I suppose :lol:

Good nights foxing Mike and well done on the century :good:

cheers bud

great numbers mike. i am not near that but have been knocking a good few numbers over recently just need my apprentice to do the write ups. All of mine are shot under the lamp or daylight but i have finally give in and recently set up with nv so be interesting to see if numbers improve next year. plus access to alot more ground :yes:

Thanks mate. I must confess that its only in the last 2 years that I have started taking on a decent amount of ground and properly getting into the fox shooting. NV has been a big game changer for me as I am not the fastest when it comes to getting a shot away so struggled a bit with the lamp. Your apprentice does a reasonable job of writing things up but I would keep an eye on him as I think he has a man crush on you :lol::lol:

Despite the fog I decided to head out on Saturday as I had promised one of the farmers that I would. The issue at the moment is half of the ground is being grazed by lambs which stampede all over the place when you walk into the field and the other half has young heifers on who pay far to much interest in you when you walk in the field and like to charge at high speed up to you....

Parked up and walked down the lane, quick flick with the lamp and spotted some nice bright eye shine, carefully negotiated the gate and over to the NV to confirm it was indeed a fox. Called for a while but not much reaction. Managed to walk over to a sensible distance at which point a rabbit got a little close to the fox who proceeded to chase it off into the wood. A couple of mins later and a bit of hand squeaking got the fox into range and fell to a chest shot off the sticks at about 50 yards.

Another couple of hours of muddy fields, fog and being pursued by the flippin cows and it was time to be off home.

Farmer was happy which is always good and another to add to the tally for the year.

Good foxing as usual Mike, well done on getting the hundred, that takes a lot of time and effort. I'm out after fox tonight so will hopefully have a good report for tomorrow.

Cheers mate. I doubt I am even close to your total for this year. How many are you up to? Must be getting on towards 200 or more. I am led to believe that Foxes are being put back on the protected list in your area due to a collapse in numbers :lol:

Good luck for tonight mate. Off after rabbits on a couple of pieces of commercial nursery ground tonight then away for a few days so no foxing for me until next week.

Mike that's a good nights work there.

We had many hours out on saturday visiting three farms drew a blank. We saw a couple but they did not want to play. About to give up on farm four after being given the run around by one. He came running in from behind and we set up for a shot. But it was not a great backdrop (even with a decent back stop) and we were not keen on taking it so held off. We were rewarded with it moving to an even less likely place and eventually it was off into the blackness. We were about to call it a night when we spotted some eyes at about 150m. On with the lamp and off it went through the hedge and promptly dropped in the field to fall asleep at about 150m :yes: Shooting uphill at a small target close to the ridge line was not a great idea and we set off up the hedge. 30m have a look, 20m have a look until we had closed the gap to 40m and put more bank behind the target and Bumpy took the shot to rearrange most of its face and neck. I was very impressed.

PS. NO MAN CRUSH INVOLVED. :lol:

I'm hoping to strike it lucky tomorrow night with my .243 /N750a. Weather is supposed to be good, and I've got all the kit, including a 'decoy Fox' with mating calls (via my Foxpro)

Good luck mate. I have had some good interest in the last couple of weeks with the vixen call.

Mike that's a good nights work there.

We had many hours out on saturday visiting three farms drew a blank. We saw a couple but they did not want to play. About to give up on farm four after being given the run around by one. He came running in from behind and we set up for a shot. But it was not a great backdrop (even with a decent back stop) and we were not keen on taking it so held off. We were rewarded with it moving to an even less likely place and eventually it was off into the blackness. We were about to call it a night when we spotted some eyes at about 150m. On with the lamp and off it went through the hedge and promptly dropped in the field to fall asleep at about 150m :yes: Shooting uphill at a small target close to the ridge line was not a great idea and we set off up the hedge. 30m have a look, 20m have a look until we had closed the gap to 40m and put more bank behind the target and Bumpy took the shot to rearrange most of its face and neck. I was very impressed.

PS. NO MAN CRUSH INVOLVED. :lol:

Nicely done gents. I dont believe the last line one little bit though :lol: