Fox club

WelshMike

300m of vision and a girly rifle...how frustrating :lol::lol::lol: At least you have the ability to shoot at 60m, the training is going well then mate :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

roll on febuary. you wait and see he will hand call {a old dog fox the only one left above ground} from three miles and then plug it 300 yards with his mighty hmr :yahoo::lol::lol::lol: he is worried about his usual wool shooting jumper though :lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

roll on febuary. you wait and see he will hand call {a old dog fox the only one left above ground} from three miles and then plug it 300 yards with his mighty hmr :yahoo::lol::lol::lol: he is worried about his usual wool shooting jumper though :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I forgot to ask if you boys have set a date for the wedding yet? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well the last day of the season yesterday, beater day shoot was a good day 97 in total and some grateful comments on the Fox control. And I was asked by the Estate owners wife to leave the Fox's alone for a while as they don't see many around anymore LOL

Sounds like a tidy day. Just a suggestion...pop the dead foxes on her lawn and then she will get to see them :lol::lol:

Finally managed to get out last night as the weather was decent enough for a change. One of the chicken farms had spotted a fox about. Given the restrictions on poultry the 60,000 or so chickens are all shut in so the fox cant get to them but as soon as the restriction is lifted there will be trouble if anything is about.

Set the caller up in a couple of different locations for 3/4 hour with no luck. Decided to have a look over the other side of the farm and caught a flash of eyes. Over to the NV and a quick squeak revealed the culprit, which was indeed a fox. Got set up for the shot and another quick squeak brought the fox into a shootable position at around the 100 yard mark. 58 grain .243 to the chest. Nice vixen and a very happy farmer.

Farms 2 and 3 drew a blank.

Farm 4, flash of eyes, sticks out NV on Fox at 40 yards...so easy...round away...fox away....so easy I didnt think and missed the little blighter :lol::lol: what a tool. Never mind, one for next time.

Did the same myself last night Mike. Was out with my shooting buddy up on the hill, letting him have Rabbits with the HMR (crawling with them) When he had enough I said we'd have a go for a fox back down over the hill towards the motorway. Drew a blank on the first 6/7 fields, I can never understand how it can be so wet and slippery on a hill, you'd expect the water to run off. Anyway I slid down to a gate and had a quick scan and at about 200 I saw a glint just leaving the field, squeaked and managed to stop him. Then realised I'm resting on top of a metal gate which to be honest I'm not great off (prefer my sticks) and being somewhat, how can I put this vertically challenged was a little stretched. A few squeaks later saw it coming at a gallop. I stopped him with a shout at about sixty yds and I must have been leaning on the gate a more than I thought, because as I fired the gate slid in it's keep a bit, resulting in a good solid contact with the ground 18'' to the right of said fox. I swear I saw his central digit extend to me as he turned and exited the way he had come, albeit a bit quicker :no::/:/

Edited by tonker

Did the same myself last night Mike. Was out with my shooting buddy up on the hill, letting him have Rabbits with the HMR (crawling with them) When he had enough I said we'd have a go for a fox back down over the hill towards the motorway. Drew a blank on the first 6/7 fields, I can never understand how it can be so wet and slippery on a hill, you'd expect the water to run off. Anyway I slid down to a gate and had a quick scan and at about 200 I saw a glint just leaving the field, squeaked and managed to stop him. Then realised I'm resting on top of a metal gate which to be honest I'm not great off (prefer my sticks) and being somewhat, how can I put this vertically challenged was a little stretched. A few squeaks later saw it coming at a gallop. I stopped him with a shout at about sixty yds and I must have been leaning on the gate a more than I thought, because as I fired the gate slid in it's keep a bit, resulting in a good solid contact with the ground 18'' to the right of said fox. I swear I saw his central digit extend to me as he turned and exited the way he had come, albeit a bit quicker :no::/:/

At least you have an excuse mate, gate movement. I was set up on my primos trigger sticks (tripod version) with a nice steady rest. I have missed some nice easy ones before and reckon that as they are so easy you dont concentrate. I watched him for about 200 yards as he ran at full pelt into the distance and over the hill. After some coarse language I had a little chuckle.....might not be laughing in a couple of weeks when the first of the lambs start being born though...Take it easy

After rain stopped play on Wednesday night spent last night from 8 till 1 chasing foxes all over Somerset. The fields were doing the best impression of the somme it was wet everywhere. Some of the gates were nearly over the top of my wellies. We walked miles and saw maybe four fox. Spotted one in a corner and had we shot as it went in a large arc around us. Of to the next field and it nearly gave a shot as it trotted through a gate. There was three of us out and it was difficult to move quietly. We went back to where we had started and a deer carcas had been left earlier in the day and spotted one on a bank. Jobs a good one I think but it wont play and vanishes into the undergrowth.

I get home about 0200 and make tea. All week the bait in my garden has been taken and I have been staying up till midnight without any luck I decided to set up in the window whilst I caught up on the PW posts. Saw a couple of badgers for the first time :good: bimbling about on the hill. Nothing to shoot until I decided to call it a night at 0300 and went to collect the rifle. One last look through the NV and spotted what looked like part of the tree sticking out from the trunk. Zoomed in and what looked like a branch moved it was the tail of a fox further up the field eating the bait but it was covered by the trunk of the tree. I waited maybe 10 minutes the tail went down and the fox walked to the side and sat down licking its lips. Took it through the bib at about 80m (girly rifle) and it dropped on the spot. Very impressed with this HMR.

Was hoping to sleep a little later but my dog had different ideas.

IMG_10311_zps2utrardi.jpg

Good shooting Oowee. :)

Not a great week for me. Was out on a couple of permissions on Wednesday night. Nothing doing at the first; but all hell broke loose at the second. As I was walking up the permission I scanned ahead with the thermal and saw a fox come through the wood straight at me, but still a good 500 yards off. He was heading in my general direction so got the gun on the sticks, powered up the scope and thought I'd watch him into range. Just picked him up in the scope when he makes a sudden dart to his left (my right) behind a small rise in the field. I was thinking whether to get after him, quick scan with the thermal and he reappears back at the same spot, back on to the scope . . . he had a newborn lamb in his mouth! He started back towards the wood so I got up and ran as quick as I could to try and get the range down but he was back in the wood before I could get a shot.

Back to the same field the next night, sat under a tree with the foxpro occasionally running a 'lone lamb' call . . . 5 hours later!! Not a dickie bird. Had to call it a night by 1am and because of some commitments I've not been able to get back since. Got it down for my second permission for tonight though so hopefully the lamb killer and I will cross paths later.

Edited by racing snake

Well done RS good to get the lamb killers dealt with pretty swiftly and second place goes to Ow as his fox was more then likely tame and doing no harm at all.

The weather here has been horrendous so havent made it out lately. Hopefully a bit better this week so a fair bit of ground to catch up on.

Keep up the good work gents

Not been out much recently, I put it down to 1 part work, 1 part weather and 2 parts lazy! Anyway, I did manage to drag myself out and pick this dog fox up and spot another two last night.

Brendan.....we were missing you buddy so glad to see a post from you mate. Dont think the weather of late really helps either.

Well done on this one and look forward to seeing your usual regular posts again mate :good: