Fox club

WelshMike

How can you trust a man that has a hand bag? ????

Right .....if you want to play that game lets go....

Firstly I would like to thank Ed (Bumpy) and Grant (Oowee) for taking me out last night. Since the pleasantries are over lets take things in turn.

I met up with Ed. Nice guy but I think he has had to many pints of alcoholic apple juice as he is mad as a box of frogs, in addition I think he has some deep seated issues about bags and accused me of having handbags.....no manners at all . In addition he has a semi custom rifle that his kids have painted green, he cant tell the difference between a fox and a badger.....water trough....and Grants pickup. He can call in foxes really well but thats just because he is such a bad shot he needs them close. As far as I can gather if its much more then shotgun range its considered long distance.......in addition (not sure if it is some local tradition...) he keeps his tissue in the front objective of the scope which appears to make acquiring the target somewhat of a problem....also he was so greedy with the rifle he wouldnt let Grant shoot the fox that was sat about 40 yards away ...think it must have fallen asleep waiting to be shot

Over to Grant.....much posher and more polite than Ed, lovely stately home and I didnt need an App on my phone to understand him (unlike Ed with all his "hello my lovely" nonsense). Grant has way to much time on his hands as he is retired so drives around in his chelsea tractor (that Ed wanted to shoot having mistaken it for a fox) generally making a noise and shooting all of gods innocent creatures. We spotted a couple of foxes but as they gave Grant a quick bow (in honor of his nobility) he let them go on as only common foxes were on the quarry list.....

I would also like to point out that any comments that come back from those pair are unfounded... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

...seriously though a great pair of guys and we had a great laugh and managed a nice vixen. Just need to download the pic as its a cracker

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice shooting B20 welcome to the club for 2017. Out with some Bumpy and some Welsh bloke tonight, just got back. Lots of banter and confusion over shooting hares, trucks, water buts and the like all easily mistaken for foxes on a cold and wet evening. Surprising what looks like 150m to someone looks like just 50m to another :lol:

Picture to follow which will be much better quality than my usual effort. Watch this space :good:

I have to say you can meet some great chaps of PW all sharing the same interests, thanks for coming over Mike it was good to meet you.

Thanks Grant . At least you have some manners unlike Ed....

Firstly I would like to thank Ed (Bumpy) and Grant (Oowee) for taking me out last night. Since the pleasantries are over lets take things in turn.

I met up with Ed. Nice guy but I think he has had to many pints of alcoholic apple juice as he is mad as a box of frogs, in addition I think he has some deep seated issues about bags and accused me of having handbags.....no manners at all . In addition he has a semi custom rifle that his kids have painted green, he cant tell the difference between a fox and a badger.....water trough....and Grants pickup. He can call in foxes really well but thats just because he is such a bad shot he needs them close. As far as I can gather if its much more then shotgun range its considered long distance.......in addition (not sure if it is some local tradition...) he keeps his tissue in the front objective of the scope which appears to make acquiring the target somewhat of a problem....also he was so greedy with the rifle he wouldnt let Grant shoot the fox that was sat about 40 yards away ...think it must have fallen asleep waiting to be shot

Over to Grant.....much posher and more polite than Ed, lovely stately home and I didnt need an App on my phone to understand him (unlike Ed with all his "hello my lovely" nonsense). Grant has way to much time on his hands as he is retired so drives around in his chelsea tractor (that Ed wanted to shoot having mistaken it for a fox) generally making a noise and shooting all of gods innocent creatures. We spotted a couple of foxes but as they gave Grant a quick bow (in honor of his nobility) he let them go on as only common foxes were on the quarry list.....

I would also like to point out that any comments that come back from those pair are unfounded... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

...seriously though a great pair of guys and we had a great laugh and managed a nice vixen. Just need to download the pic as its a cracker

Ha:-) Brilliant! Sounds like a lot of was had!

grant what the hell did you invite this fool for. Makes me seriously wonder why there is a bridge. Roll on next time.

It was a great night if a bit too wet. Only disappointment was that we did not see more as we covered a fair bit of ground, but the wind and rain were not on our side. Look forward to the next one.

RS here Doris is playing havok. Off to see if there any trees down that need gathering in the morning.

Sounds like you've had a great time lads, and well done on 'bagging' one too. :)

Contemplating going out for a couple of hours, but Doris making things a bit wild outside. :hmm:

Grant and Ed were great fun and have enough of a sense of humor to have put up with me. They have some absolutely stunning ground between them. The weather wasnt ideal and what with the wind and showers I think a lot of foxes were tucked up out of the way.

I had some fun and games with Doris on the way home yesterday. M5 between Gloucester and Worcester there was a lorry on its side that had just been blown over so I stopped and gave the other nice people who had stopped a hand whilst the paramedics and police arrived. Fortunately the driver was ok. I was up on the top ..well side of the lorry holding the door open whilst one of the guys talked to the driver and then managed to get the sun roof open and the driver out...the force of the wind was unreal.

Had a couple of hours out last night, but the tail of Doris seemed to keep everything still in cover. Another chance tonight but the window was quite narrow as rain forecast to move in later in the night. Probably didn't pick the ideal permission tonight, a high altitude one that I have to cross a hill that's 1,200 ft above sea level to get to the more sheltered area of the permission. Pulled up at the end of the track and got geared up for the walk over. Nothing much seen on the hill, apart from a couple of hares, but after a couple of miles I get to the relative shelter of a stream valley that opens up to pasture on the other side. Before dropping down the final 100 ft down to the valley floor I thought I'd pick a spot in the gorse that gave me a bit of shelter but allowed me to scan the far fields for any sign of a fox for half an hour. Nothing much doing in the distance but a fox did appear down to my right after 20 minutes, she was on my side of the river (large stream is probably more accurate), and if she carried on following the riverbank it 'should' bring her to me at a distance no further that 150 yards (unless she crosses the stream, which I thought unlikely). Luckily she didn't cross, and when she got to the closest point of contact with me I tried to give her a squeak with the mouth but the vicious wind coming down the valley meant I couldn't get her attention to stop her, so I give her a big fat "Oi" and that does the trick.

Quite a big old girl for a vixen too, again in fine fettle. I had planned to run the caller down by the river for a while but a glance back to the hill I still had to go back over and the cloud had come down so I didn't want to get caught up there if it really closed in. I beat a hasty retreat back over. With no phone signal it's always in the back of my mind that somewhere like this isn't the place to go over on your ankle, you could be in big trouble, so when it starts to close in I don't hang about up there.

33055325456_32be93874f_c.jpg

Edited by racing snake

Had a couple of hours out last night, but the tail of Doris seemed to keep everything still in cover. Another chance tonight but the window was quite narrow as rain forecast to move in later in the night. Probably didn't pick the ideal permission tonight, a high altitude one that I have to cross a hill that's 1,200 ft above sea level to get to the more sheltered area of the permission. Pulled up at the end of the track and got geared up for the walk over. Nothing much seen on the hill, apart from a couple of hares, but after a couple of miles I get to the relative shelter of a stream valley that opens up to pasture on the other side. Before dropping down the final 100 ft down to the valley floor I thought I'd pick a spot in the gorse that gave me a bit of shelter but allowed me to scan the far fields for any sign of a fox for half an hour. Nothing much doing in the distance but a fox did appear down to my right after 20 minutes, she was on my side of the river (large stream is probably more accurate), and if she carried on following the riverbank it 'should' bring her to me at a distance no further that 150 yards (unless she crosses the stream, which I thought unlikely). Luckily she didn't cross, and when she got to the closest point of contact with me I tried to give her a squeak with the mouth but the vicious wind coming down the valley meant I couldn't get her attention to stop her, so I give her a big fat "Oi" and that does the trick.

Quite a big old girl for a vixen too, again in fine fettle. I had planned to run the caller down by the river for a while but a glance back to the hill I still had to go back over and the cloud had come down so I didn't want to get caught up there if it really closed in. I beat a hasty retreat back over. With no phone signal it's always in the back of my mind that somewhere like this isn't the place to go over on your ankle, you could be in big trouble, so when it starts to close in I don't hang about up there.

well done mate. sounds like some challenging ground

Nicely done bud :good:

I picked up a couple of new farms a week or so ago and was keen to get out. One of the pieces of ground looked perfect with a lot of rough ground and forestry close by so I went there first. Parked up, got my kit ready and headed out.

Hand call first and within 30 seconds that was met with a nice bright set of eyes. Over to the NV and could see the fox sat 100 yards away, quick squeak and he trotted in to be met with a 58 grain bullet. Nice dog fox.

Carried on calling and spotted another fox but 400+ yards away. This one didnt show again despite the electronic caller. Looked behind me and there was another fox in the field the other side of the lane. Headed over there as the fox wouldnt come in to the call.

Got into the field and spotted a fox up the top of the field. Not interested in the call and just curled up. Headed out slowly on foot and got to about 70 yards at which point (after getting the sticks set up) his night was ended with a head shot.

Over the other side of the road.......somebody flashing a torch in my direction so flicked my torch back..."Who the hell are you and what are you doing...." lots of ranting followed by "Im calling the ploice"...I was as polite as I could be and shouted back who I was, who I had permission from and what I was doing....since the land is new to me I popped the 2 foxes in the back of the pickup and headed down to the main farm to see the owner. The woman had already phoned his brother ranting....even though she told them she had been seeing foxes....

Bit more interesting then expected but at least I had the 2 foxes before she kicked off....photos to follow :yes:

People! tut, they just can't understand us wanting to kill everything just for the fun of it. :whistling::whistling::ninja:

Exactly what I thought mate :lol: I would have been happy if she had gone in and called the police rather then shining the torch on me until I left. Next time I will take the NV spotter and not use the lamp so she wont know where I am.

Nice result Mike, shame about the local lunatic! I managed to get out last Friday night between the wind and rain Thursday and the weekend it was the only chance I had.

Managed a dog fox and two vixens both about to drop cubs before rain stopped play again.The dog is the photo with the rifle.

post-51912-0-49690500-1488205175_thumb.jpeg

post-51912-0-69764500-1488205190_thumb.jpeg

post-51912-0-56772100-1488205215_thumb.jpeg

Nice result Mike, shame about the local lunatic! I managed to get out last Friday night between the wind and rain Thursday and the weekend it was the only chance I had.

Managed a dog fox and two vixens both about to drop cubs before rain stopped play again.The dog is the photo with the rifle.

Good result there Brendan, well done indeed. Those vixens look very close to dropping their cubs.

I must confess that I am getting well and truly fed up of this weather. Looks like I will struggle to get out again this week.

Keep up the good work...out of interest how much does it cost to re barrel a .204 :lol::lol:

Cheers Mike, I know the feeling re the weather, seems like if it's not raining it's foggy down here these days! The 204 is a fairly new rifle so hopefully get a bit more out of it before the barrel goes.

Sorry mate just taking the p e e with regards to the rifle :lol::lol: . I know its fairly new but a lot of rounds down the barrel in a short time.

Take it easy buddy.

Cheers Mike, I know the feeling re the weather, seems like if it's not raining it's foggy down here these days! The 204 is a fairly new rifle so hopefully get a bit more out of it before the barrel goes.

...no mention of your new toy buddy...just noticed the photon on top of the .204...more info please mate.....