Who is out on the 1st?

Richie10

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well less than a month to go now. I am intending to be out , but had some heart problems a few weeks ago so it will have to be somewhere close to the car with little walking. Got real problems with my new dog Pip. She was a year old when I got her in March from a guy who had health problems and the dog had not been out of the house for six months. She seems to be stuck in the puppy stage now despite being 17 months old. All my past dogs would have been trained up enough to be useable in the field at this age , but Pip still acts as though she is six months old. One day she will retrieve dummies perfectly , the next she will run off with the dummy wanting me to chase her for it. I have decided to put her training on hold for now and wait until she matures a little before starting again. I have trained several very good dogs over the years ( or perhaps rather they have trained me ) , but I have never had a lab like this one. Even the basics like sit and come are very hard work with her.

I have been bored silly over the past few weeks at home so started to edit my book as its at last coming into shape. Still a bit to do , with chapters on decoying and equipment ( the boring stuff ) , but stories which are the main part of the book are done bar proof reading. Next I will need to find and sort the photos and the printing so its still a good way off , but with luck all will be finished before next season as long as i do not spend to much time shooting this coming winter. .

Anser2 I hope you you can have an easy month and get out there on the 1st and for many more flights after that. Reading your reports on the days i'm stuck in the office unable to get out myself have become an important part of my season. They set to inspire me to be up and out on those cold wet mornings, despite the sleep-deprived stages of early parenthood.

I'll be there on the first, 03:45 in the car park, on the marsh for 04:00, more for tradition and a bit of banter with the "old boys" than anything else.

Keep us updated with regards the book - hope there will be a PW discount code!

Regards GS

Well less than a month to go now. I am intending to be out , but had some heart problems a few weeks ago so it will have to be somewhere close to the car with little walking. Got real problems with my new dog Pip. She was a year old when I got her in March from a guy who had health problems and the dog had not been out of the house for six months. She seems to be stuck in the puppy stage now despite being 17 months old. All my past dogs would have been trained up enough to be useable in the field at this age , but Pip still acts as though she is six months old. One day she will retrieve dummies perfectly , the next she will run off with the dummy wanting me to chase her for it. I have decided to put her training on hold for now and wait until she matures a little before starting again. I have trained several very good dogs over the years ( or perhaps rather they have trained me ) , but I have never had a lab like this one. Even the basics like sit and come are very hard work with her.

I have been bored silly over the past few weeks at home so started to edit my book as its at last coming into shape. Still a bit to do , with chapters on decoying and equipment ( the boring stuff ) , but stories which are the main part of the book are done bar proof reading. Next I will need to find and sort the photos and the printing so its still a good way off , but with luck all will be finished before next season as long as i do not spend to much time shooting this coming winter. .

Robert i wish you all the Best with your health also for the coming Season and your Dog.

Hopefully this will give you a bit of inspiration !!!! My Father who I'm sure you can remember is now in his 79th year has also suffered Heart along with other problems which he daily takes medication for.

Well this season he has joined a Coastal Wildfowling Club and I will be taking him to try for a Pink from the Foreshore something he has not done for over 20 years.

He is excited to in his words " just being on the Marsh hearing the Sounds seeing the Wildlife and Pink's will be enough if and a BIG IF I shoot a Pink it will feel better than shooting my First Goose "

Well it goes without saying I will be doing my dammed hardest to grant my Father's wish

I know exactly how you feel.

Getting older is cnot fun, its coming to us all theres no getting away from it, but it dont make it any more fun.

Get out when you can, everytime not only the time you stayed home because of X or Y or Z reason, You can never get that day back once its gone, I try now to not miss a single time, there will be plenty of time to stay warm in front of that fire and relax when you cant physicaly go no more, meantime go everytime life and time alow you too thats my advice.

Getting older is cnot fun, its coming to us all theres no getting away from it, but it dont make it any more fun.

Get out when you can, everytime not only the time you stayed home because of X or Y or Z reason, You can never get that day back once its gone, I try now to not miss a single time, there will be plenty of time to stay warm in front of that fire and relax when you cant physicaly go no more, meantime go everytime life and time alow you too thats my advice.

Can't disagree, the older you get the easier it is to talk yourself out of going!.......force yourself to go.....you won't regret it!

Just seeing the user names ( anser2 , 6.5x55SE and Penelope to name a few ) back on the wildfowling section tell me the season is again just around the corner , nowadays I don't get to excited during the early days and like the last couple of years I will be out on the 1st but not with my gun , unless I am going after pigeons that is , but I will be thinking of all the ones who are out trying to put the first species of wildfowl in the bag for the 2016 / 2017 season , GOOD LUCK to every one of you

anser2 ( Robert ) .... I am really sorry to hear about the problem you have , or having with your heart , also having a puppy that is testing your patience cant be helping with your stress levels , like some have already mentioned , the long wait for your book is in its final stages and with a bit of luck will be on our book shelf before to long , look after yourself and only do what your body is capable of doing and take it easy .

My two dogs are laying on my feet at the moment , the old one has hung his retrieving skills up now and the young one is getting ready to take on the roll , he bring pigeons back in the hide now but how he will do on wildfowl that is something we will soon find out .

6.5x55SE ( Boyd ) I love the idea of trying to give your dear old dad a chance of putting a goose in his bag at his young age , and I for one would be over the ( full ) moon if you pulled it off.

More of a challenge would be young Callum , yourself and your dad getting one on the same flight , a bit far fetched , but one you are more than capable of pulling it off . Good Luck and the sparkling wine is in the fridge all ready for when your dad have got one slung over his back and is safely back home with his feet up in front of the fire .

John thanot you for your comments.

It's funny how life turns. My Father phoned me this evening seeking some loading data. With all his questions about the Marsh Pink's etc took me back to a 11 year old when it was me excitedly asking all the Questions.

Health and Luck permitting I will forward sure post a write IF Father achieves his ambition.

Also may it be a Moon or Morning flight ( Inland ) i will definitely put 100% effort in getting Conor -Eric ( Father ) and myself a Pink during the same flight

You to John enjoy the coming season and look forward to hearing/reading you have bagged a Pink or Two

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. Its great that your dad is still out fowling Boyed. Give him my best wishes when you see him. I guess it must be more than 30 years since your dad and I last met on the sea wall on Lynn marsh. If he does not have any luck with the coastal pinks let me know and perhaps we can sort something out the easy way inland. We had a lot roosting on my shoot last year and thousands more feeding on the meadows. Off for a Rockland club meeting on Monday ( its a meeting where you can book your place on one of their marshes for the first and the boat rota is sorted out. ) and will be staying down there for a day or two. I want to see what is about on the Broads for this year. Had mixed reports on how the duck have bred , but I am told there plenty of greys about. While I have not been working for a while officaly i will be retired from Natural England by the end of the month and so maybe we will have time to meet up and have a chat marshman.

answer2..... Enjoy your forthcoming retirement , and I am sure with all your interests you will not be sitting about for long with your slippers on , or pottering about every day in the garden like so many do when the time come.

At the moment I go after pigeons in the afternoons around three or four times a week , and train my young dog at the same time , have one day out together which is normally a trip up to Wells or Blakeney and fish and chips at Cromer on the way home , the other couple of days I catch up with the house hold chores then have a look round to see where I am shooting the next day , my excuse is (a) I haven't got a pair of slippers and (b) I have only got a small garden which is my wifes department and I am not allowed to interfere :lol:

6.5x55SE ..... Boyed..... Sorry I left the E out of your name and young Conor became a Callum since last season , sure sign old age is here and here to stay :good:

No problem John I think all three of us suffered a little Blip .

My reply was wrong do to predictive text on my Mobile. Robert even after 40 odd years still has the habit of putting a ' e' in my name and yourself putting Callum instead of Conor.

Perhaps to much shooting over the years have effected ALL of our ' Grey Matter '

Best regards Boyd

anser 2, enjoy that retirement and do whatever you can do while you can still do it. I am now in the situation where, although 77 and still fit enough for the gentle marshes, I am full time carer for my wife and only got out a total of two and a half times last season. Couldn't do dawn or dusk flights so did two midday efforts and had lunch on the marsh on the half day. But, and this is the important bit, I still enjoyed every minute of it. Hopefully this season, having got myself a bit more sorted out with a relief carer on Fridays, I can get out a bit more.

On the other hand, if things don't turn out as planned, then I still have super memories and can read of the exploits of all you other, younger, chaps through the PW forums.

Vital that you get out as much as you possibly can mate - I am sure you will - because one never knows what is round the next corner.

Hope your health problems improve - getting out work will surely help - and that you have a super season.

Nice evening yesterday went for a ride on the old XT600 not been on it for ages, thought i would have a scout about,

As this years crop is in next seasons crop is building up just fine. And yes i waited to see where they went out too.

Its looking .....Well OK!

Picture258.jpg

Its not time yet

its still 78 days or

• 6,739,200 seconds
  • 112,320 minutes
  • 1872 hours
  • 78 days
  • 11 weeks and 1 day
  • 21.31% of 2016

Not that I am counting or anything, just saying :whistling:

I have been looking forward to getting out on 1st but also been waiting for an appointment for a couple of months and guess what its 11.30am 1st September and I dont want to delay it further. Just my flippin luck. Its normally a good crack having a bit of banter on the "first". Ah well it will have to be the 2nd now.