Advice needed please

Dan7626

Hi guys, I'm just after a bit of advice really.

Basically I've been going to see the hospital physio regarding my bad back for the last few weeks, anyway today when I told him it was no better after doing the exercises he gave me to do he told me he was going to prescribe me something.

Anyway when he came back he had a prescription for Amitriptyline. He described them as a muscle relaxant and that it would help ease the pain although I may feel slightly drowsy for a day or 2. Ok i thought, I'll give them a try.

Anyway the wife was reading the paper on the box just now and it turns out they are used as an anti depressant.

I haven't taken any but I was wondering if I did would they show up on my medical records when renewing my shotgun certificate as me having had anti depressants? Even though that isn't why I was prescribed them?

Hi guys, I'm just after a bit of advice really.

Basically I've been going to see the hospital physio regarding my bad back for the last few weeks, anyway today when I told him it was no better after doing the exercises he gave me to do he told me he was going to prescribe me something.

Anyway when he came back he had a prescription for Amitriptyline. He described them as a muscle relaxant and that it would help ease the pain although I may feel slightly drowsy for a day or 2. Ok i thought, I'll give them a try.

Anyway the wife was reading the paper on the box just now and it turns out they are used as an anti depressant.

I haven't taken any but I was wondering if I did would they show up on my medical records when renewing my shotgun certificate as me having had anti depressants? Even though that isn't why I was prescribed them?

Yes they will show up , but it will also say what they were prescribed for anti depressants treat a multitude of other things and I am sure your FLO will be fully aware of that , they are not interested in what your taking as much as what you are taking them for , so don't worry about it.

They are an anti depressant, but will help relax muscles etc. They are a powerful drug, and there are quite a few side effects that you may get. I administer them as part of my job. As the medication will be prescribed for your back pain, you should be okay. Just make sure the doctor's records state why they were prescribed for you.

What matters is what you've been prescibed them FOR.

So if you were prescibed them for depression, then yes, it would be notifiable. But prescribed as a muscle relaxant, then no, no need to inform on renewal.

The 'relevant medical conditions' includes depression and anxiety, but does not include musculoskeletal disorders or injuries.

Also. +1 for seeing an osteopath. Far too many physios seem to be setting it up for a regular customer, rather than getting you fixed and gone.

Taking an anti depressant does not make someone unfit to hold an SGC.

So so true, what they are doing is replacing a chemical the body is not making . Like some with Diabetes or over/ under active throid takes meds to balance things out. The only problem with modern meds is the side effects.

A lot off people seem to panick about depression ( low mood) I was on tablets for this very thing for three years or there abouts , got up one day and ignored all advice and stopped taking them and applied for my Certs , they got intouch with the docs big talk in interview and every thing was A1 , no need to panick just be truthfull

A lot off people seem to panick about depression ( low mood) I was on tablets for this very thing for three years or there abouts , got up one day and ignored all advice and stopped taking them and applied for my Certs , they got intouch with the docs big talk in interview and every thing was A1 , no need to panick just be truthfull

Clinical depression is as much as a low mood as a badger is a fish

Tried a chiropractor yet? Personally rate them highly.

a dr will give u some pills and slap you on the **** before pointing u to thr door. A physio although good will often treat the symptoms.

in my experience a chiropractor will get down to the nuts and bolts if it all and sort it out.

Tried a chiropractor yet? Personally rate them highly.

a dr will give u some pills and slap you on the **** before pointing u to thr door. A physio although good will often treat the symptoms.

in my experience a chiropractor will get down to the nuts and bolts if it all and sort it out.

Thinking of trying this next. Tried an oestiopath a few years back but that was no help and cost a fortune in the process. So thought I'd try the physio but that's proved next to useless so far.

Thinking of trying this next. Tried an oestiopath a few years back but that was no help and cost a fortune in the process. So thought I'd try the physio but that's proved next to useless so far.

Osti and chiro are the same thing really. Osti works more in depth with tissue and bones.

Chiro is just bones

Don't worry. I have been on these for over 15 years due to a complicated back condition. I had the same concern as yourself years ago when I read what they were. I went to my doctor and voiced my concerns on renewal of my shotgun cert. He told me not to worry at all as they are neurological and anyway if the police contacted him as they more than likely would, then be would explain all to them. I have never had any problems with renewals whatsoever, so don't you be worrying unnecessarily.