petition for 2nd referendum ?

ditchman

People a signing a petition for a 2nd referendum on the EU...it has already reached 1 million

question

• is this valid
  • at what stage could this be implemented
  • what if a petition is started for "stay as it is" could one petition nulify another petition

what is going on now ?.......is it hard cheese or something serious..........

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm inclined to agree, unless it reaches the proportions of the winning total for the leave campaign's referendum. only if it's up at 17 million do I think it needs to be considered, UNLESS there is clear evidence (and I mean CLEAR) that there was a concerted attempt to deceive the public in the campaign phase, but that's for the courts to decide and not a petition

Edited by chrisjpainter

So we have another referendum and decide to stay in.

Do we then have another petition for a third referendum?

Etc., etc., ad infinitum. I think not.

It's just sore losers throwing their toys around. You were outvoted, get used to it. (Grow up.)

When you think that what was it 40 million people voted to stay in it would not be hard to get just one mill people to do that the same would apply the other way I expect voting on the internet is so simple anyway.

This is why I think most of the time signing all of these internet petitions is a wast of time it proves nothing except that you can press a button.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

In Scottish referendum we were told even though vote was almost as close, unless there was a significant change we would have to live with it.

Lokks like shoe us on other foot now.....

I think it is based upon she infers the dynamics have changed. Scotland voted to remain in the UK, and voted to remain in the EU, but by default they are now out of the latter. I can see the point she is making, but as Scotland voted to remain part of the U.K. and the UK voted to leave, then they surely have to accept the democratic process.

To do otherwise in my opinion is to set a dangerous precedent. When do we accept a final decision.....best out of three?

Cameron said at the start that whatever the outcome the result would be honoured.

The powers that be from all parties should now come out and make a statement that the result stands and there will be no second vote.

This just adds to the uncertainty and makes a stable future harder to achieve

I think it is based upon she infers the dynamics have changed. Scotland voted to remain in the UK, and voted to remain in the EU, but by default they are now out of the latter. I can see the point she is making, but as Scotland voted to remain part of the U.K. and the UK voted to leave, then they surely have to accept the democratic process.

To do otherwise in my opinion is to set a dangerous precedent. When do we accept a final decision.....best out of three?

She seems to (conveniently) forget that, at the time of the Scottish referendum, the EU made it quite clear that an independent Scotland would not be admitted into the EU.

would they even have us back if we did mentally change our minds ? im pretty sure on the run up to the vote one of the eu lot said there would be no coming back if we voted out ?

and this guys says theres no going back either.....

The UK's European Commissioner Lord Hill is to stand down, saying "what is done cannot be undone" after the UK voted to leave the European Union

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629646

I think this is just media nonsense.

In any event nothing but sour grapes, I wonder how many of the million voted in the referendum in the first place?

Entirely unconstitutional I would imagine, in any event could be sabotaged by initial out voters refusing to vote at all and then the outcome would be invalid.

It is based on a turn out of 72% there is no rule on turn out and also on the fact that less than 60% won it again totoal BS there is no rule on that 50.1% would have won it.. Sore loosers anyone signing this can **** off to Europe if they love it so much.

would they even have us back if we did mentally change our minds ? im pretty sure on the run up to the vote one of the eu lot said there would be no coming back if we voted out ?

and this guys says theres no going back either.....

The UK's European Commissioner Lord Hill is to stand down, saying "what is done cannot be undone" after the UK voted to leave the European Union

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36629646

Don't forget we haven't as yet actually requested we leave the EU - that won't happen till whoever is the PM presses the button so to speak. Remember all the referendum was , was a way to ask the population what the wanted - there is no actual legal requirement for the government to activate Article 50 Even Boris is saying we should wait a while to let the dust settle. It seems the EU leaders are far keener to get things going (which they can't until we formally ask). Cameron resigning is starting to look like a planned delaying tactic.

Don't forget there have been precedents of referendums being re-run (can't remember which country it was but first referendum was for not joining, then they had another go and it changed to a join). I have q feeling this is far from over!

Don't forget we haven't as yet actually requested we leave the EU - that won't happen till whoever is the PM presses the button so to speak. Remember all the referendum was , was a way to ask the population what the wanted - there is no actual legal requirement for the government to activate Article 50 Even Boris is saying we should wait a while to let the dust settle. It seems the EU leaders are far keener to get things going (which they can't until we formally ask). Cameron resigning is starting to look like a planned delaying tactic.

Don't forget there have been precedents of referendums being re-run (can't remember which country it was but first referendum was for not joining, then they had another go and it changed to a join). I have q feeling this is far from over!

This....the dust hasn't even settled yet.