A trip to Cambridgeshire.

JDog

Fenboy had a decent outing earlier in the week on Calabrese and had seen birds on another field in sufficient numbers to shoot and he kindly asked me along.

In the meantime the field had been chopped up but there were still birds on it when we arrived. We set up 45m apart along a ditch. I sort of knew what to expect and I took along some long hazel poles to act as a backdrop. This worked well and it also kept the boiling sun off my back.

The first birds back decoyed well but as our session wore on lines went elsewhere and pigeons coming towards us flared off. I really enjoyed my afternoon until we decided to pack up ahead of a storm.

I am posting this from a layby having pulled over out of a black sky and torrential rain.

We picked 35.

Fenboy had a decent outing earlier in the week on Calabrese and had seen birds on another field in sufficient numbers to shoot and he kindly asked me along.

In the meantime the field had been chopped up but there were still birds on it when we arrived. We set up 45m apart along a ditch. I sort of knew what to expect and I took along some long hazel poles to act as a backdrop. This worked well and it also kept the boiling sun off my back.

The first birds back decoyed well but as our session wore on lines went elsewhere and pigeons coming towards us flared off. I really enjoyed my afternoon until we decided to pack up ahead of a storm.

I am posting this from a layby having pulled over out of a black sky and torrential rain.

We picked 35.

hello, boiling sun!!!!!!!! but still and nice bag and good company by all accounts from your posts, i hope your getting on with the semi auto ok now :good:

hello, boiling sun!!!!!!!! but still and nice bag and good company by all accounts from your posts, i hope your getting on with the semi auto ok now :good:

The semi auto feels very strange and I keep forgetting where the safety catch is. You must ask Fenboy how I shot today.

The hazel poles took me by surprise JDog , I wondered if you thought we did not have enough trees in fenland and was planting your own.

I guess 35 for the amount of time we shot was a decent result , but it was disappointing that the field had been chopped in a couple of days previous , they soon lose interest as the greens dry out , having said that we could have easily doubled the bag if they did not start drifting towards the road.

It's always nice to learn something from someone you take out , in your case I have learnt to try and avoid standing on the next peg to you on a shoot !

I would say he is getting on with the auto just fine , we will soon be hearing of his first triple ------ just as soon as he loads three cartridges and remembers where the safety is.

I would say he is getting on with the auto just fine , we will soon be hearing of his first triple ------ just as soon as he loads three cartridges and remembers where the safety is.

hello, that is good to hear despite the safety catch issue, it can be like that if you have been use to a thumb style. 3 shots 3 pigeons that would be something,

The hazel poles took me by surprise JDog , I wondered if you thought we did not have enough trees in fenland and was planting your own.

I guess 35 for the amount of time we shot was a decent result , but it was disappointing that the field had been chopped in a couple of days previous , they soon lose interest as the greens dry out , having said that we could have easily doubled the bag if they did not start drifting towards the road.

It's always nice to learn something from someone you take out , in your case I have learnt to try and avoid standing on the next peg to you on a shoot !

It's ok Fenboy, go roost shooting with him, he can't hit em for toffee 20ft away in a tree :)