Monthly Clay Shooting Budget

ruraltownie

Hi all,

So as someone with a young family and only just getting onto the property ladder :hmmm: ... money is tight. However, I have recently got into clay shooting and have no intension of stopping :).

When budgetting for their monthly expenses, what do people allocate to their clay shooting budget?

First off, if there are any local to you, join a club. Regular shoots, cheaper than commercial grounds.

I don't go clay shooting much, though I am a member of a club. But when I do 100 sporting costs me £20, using another £15 of cartridges. Add in 2 cuppas and a sausage and egg buttie for lunch, and the total is about £40 for the day.

Hi all,

So as someone with a young family and only just getting onto the property ladder :hmmm: ... money is tight. However, I have recently got into clay shooting and have no intension of stopping :).

When budgetting for their monthly expenses, what do people allocate to their clay shooting budget?

Around £20 a week does you 50 clays and cartridges. Edited by BrowningB525

Hi all,

I am in the same boat.. What i do is when i can, i stock up on cartridges, buying in bulk is cheaper, 1000 shells lasted me well over 8 months last time! :( and then when you can afford both in terms of cash and time away from the family, you only have to worry about the entry fee, rather than entry fee and shells etc!! I am very lucky as my Dad shoots, so i can scrounge lifts off him to shoots, so that saves fuel costs, and even the odd cartridge or two from him! :) :)

What ever you do, dont tell you missus the true cost of shooting!! ha ha :lol: :lol: :lol:

I shoot a lot and consequently my budget is large - I don't want to put the figure here. I am able to spend this now on my favourite pastime as I have got to an age where family has grown, mortgage has gone, steady work etc and I am not someone who spends on clothes and foreign holidays. I have only been shooting four years but the husband has been shooting for 20 odd years and there was a period in our life where he had to give it up for three years due to money issues so now I like it that he can do as he wishes. Even though I can spend without much consideration, I still get up and make sandwiches and put a picnic together and take flasks on our Sunday shoots. I would say do that instead of spending on a bacon sandwich and tea - it all adds up. Don't spend silly money on cartridges - my old man will shoot the cheapest he can find and still does okay. It is a good idea if you have a good club to join as you will then get discount on your shoots. Make the most of what you can afford and hopefully as the family grows, monetary issues become less pressing you will be able to do as much as you like - anyway that is what I wish for you.

Depends how much and at what level you want to shoot, if I go to a local club a round of 25 will cost between 3.50 -5.00 quid plus cartridges, tea,travelling.

A registered 100 bird shoot for me and the missus costs around 150 for the day, that's entry fees, cartridges, travel and something to eat! That is in the happy world of trap shooting, different disiplines may vary slightly.

Also have a young family and my main pastime is pigeon/rough shooting but I try and go a couple of times a month to the local clay ground. as was mentioned previously I tend to buy cartridges in bulk usually 500 game and 500 clay carts, my RFD is happy mixing them up and still gives a good discount this is highly advised as its cheaper in the long run. Depending where and what I shoot (ie. sporting or skeet/DTL) it varies but I normally stick 50 quid in my wallet per outing. I also stay on the lookout for local small shoots on farms as often these are cheap and rough and ready and often more fun that the big clay grounds.

Like any sport you can plough a never ending amount of money into it but to me the most important thing is you enjoy it however many times you go!

I cant see much point in seeing what others budget , it comes down to what you yourself can comfortably afford.

It's not a cheap pastime when everything is taken into consideration.

Once you have met all your financial obligations for the month then just budget a sensible amount from whats left , if you have £200 to spare you have £50 a week for the shooting over the following month.

Hi all,

If you work on the basis of £20-25 for a 50 bird shoot you won't be far off. As others have said buy cartridges in bulk and join a club.

I shoot a lot and consequently my budget is large - I don't want to put the figure here. I am able to spend this now on my favourite pastime as I have got to an age where family has grown, mortgage has gone, steady work etc and I am not someone who spends on clothes and foreign holidays. I have only been shooting four years but the husband has been shooting for 20 odd years and there was a period in our life where he had to give it up for three years due to money issues so now I like it that he can do as he wishes. Even though I can spend without much consideration, I still get up and make sandwiches and put a picnic together and take flasks on our Sunday shoots. I would say do that instead of spending on a bacon sandwich and tea - it all adds up. Don't spend silly money on cartridges - my old man will shoot the cheapest he can find and still does okay. It is a good idea if you have a good club to join as you will then get discount on your shoots. Make the most of what you can afford and hopefully as the family grows, monetary issues become less pressing you will be able to do as much as you like - anyway that is what I wish for you.

All good advice, people spend what they're comfortable with which also depends hugely on their level of seriousness, the better shots spend thousands but may get back a fair bit in prize money although only a handful break even.

First off, if there are any local to you, join a club. Regular shoots, cheaper than commercial grounds.

I don't go clay shooting much, though I am a member of a club. But when I do 100 sporting costs me £20, using another £15 of cartridges. Add in 2 cuppas and a sausage and egg buttie for lunch, and the total is about £40 for the day.

Agreed Robbie. One I go to have an annual membership price of £40 ...... and charge .... £10 for seventy clays and throw in a meal at the local pub.

I spend 60ish per month which is £15 per week to do the 50bird sporting at Hodnet my local clay ground.

I also have cartridge costs but I do my beating threw the winter and first week of feb i take it all cash in hand and buy as many clay cartridges for the summer ahead as I can afford. This way I dont have to worry about cartridge costs the rest of the year !

ATB

Matt

Hi

Bit different from some of you but here goes

Shoot 2x a week always take one of the kids from the shoot

Some grounds let the kids shoot 1/2 price or free so just 400 cartridges and ground fees £29 ...100 variable for kids note half the cartridges are 4.10 or 20 bore although one is now on a 12 so you'll have to work that out 😊

Anyway op set a budget you can afford and stick inside it just enjoy the sport

All the best

Of

Sian remind me not to upset you if we ever meet :lol: shooting 300 on a Saturday you must have some strong arms.

I don't have a monthly budget it's more a free time issue for me, some months can be £400.00 or more depending on if any registered and how far I travel and other months could be as little £50-75.

With a young family and all the expenses I'd be looking to shoot 25 every week or 50 twice a month, that way it's not too expensive both money and family time :good: