Series 3 noise

la bala

Coming home from walking the dog yesterday, had a whoom whoom whoom develope. Athough i had done the hardy spices on the rear prop 12 months ago i whipped it off for a look, both good. Have given the rear wheels a good rock, no apparent wheel bearing play. Havnt taken the rear wheels of yet to check for blebs on tyres. I am wondering now if its diff or out shaft on transfer box.. I will also check engine and gearbox mounts, but any further pointers from the series boys on here would be welcome.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the noise increase / decrease at a given speed with clutch pushed in? Engine under load....

Have you considered the drum / shoes of the handbrake?

Noise increases and decreases in normal driving conditions. Backed the handbrake shoes off and readjusted yesterday. Definitely think its somewhere on the drive train.

Removed back prop yesterday, took it for a run on front wheel drive, bl@@@@ noise still there. Dropped transfer box oil this morning, all nice and clean. Dropped gearbox oil, along with a couple of ounces of metal, oh dear :lol:

gearbox easy enuff.....thank god it aint the transfere box............

I was offered a fully rebuilt gearbox with overdrive for £750 the other day by my mate if it is any use to you.

Thanks bud, have rebuilt many engines in my life, but never attempted a gearbox, have been looking at the price of parts and considering having a go. Will certainly keep your offer in mind, as we all know some overdrives alone are priced up toward a couple of hundred quid.

WE WANT PICTURES AND BLOW BY BLOW ACCOUNT.....THIS includes all the swearing and blood stains and divorce papers .........dont want any reciepts as we all have plenty of them

I was going to post a pic of the debri that came out of the drain hole but its saying file too big. :lol::lol::lol:

might as well give it ...its 20 year clean...................give viking a shout he's good at cleaning stuff.........bet them ole plastic seats dont alf "draw" yer bum during the summer...

Might not be sitting in that seat for a while :lol:

i wish.....i couldnt afford one of those...my mate bought it very very cheap...it has 45hrs on the clock and is 6 years old and owned by an old buffer who moved up here from down south..............it has never been serviced and had never been cleaned ..the cutter deck took me 2 days to clean !!!....it has an hose att' to connect the hose up when you run to clean it.....the plastic cap that covers it when new was still on it..........bloke just buys it dosnt read the manual (beneath him) puts petrol in it ......

he got fed up living up here cause there aint nothing to do...so he offloaded everything and moved back down south..

mate mate is a spawny jammy tight lucky *******..........