Series 3 noise

la bala

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bloody hell you have done well.. :good::good::good: ..tell you what ...the chassis looks ok as well........thats a real bind to get that all out....well done boy

Yer ditchman after i struggled with all the frozen bolts the bloody seatbox was held down by seam sealer. The old girl has got some chairs to rub down, I said to her you can sit outside beside me doing the landy tommorrow, we can whisper sweet nothings to each other. :lol::lol:

When they designed Series Landrovers, why the heck didnt they make it so the gearboxes came out the bottom. And what sherbert designed the stupid little plastic thingies that hold the clutch release bearing to the clutch fork. Thats my rant for the day. :lol::lol:

Well happy with that, gearbox went to reconditioner 8am on wednesday morning, collected it 9am this morning. It has had to be reassembled minus the overdrive as it has some splines you could shave on, more bl@@@y expense :lol: if i can locate what i need.

i would think bits for the overdrive are like "fairy dust"..........

Craddocks have all the overdrive spares....just had a google

what is busted ?

I dont know what its called Simon will see if i can find a parts drawing. I have just realised there was another bit with it, which i think i have gone and left on the reconditioners bench der

When they designed Series Landrovers, why the heck didnt they make it so the gearboxes came out the bottom. And what sherbert designed the stupid little plastic thingies that hold the clutch release bearing to the clutch fork. Thats my rant for the day. :lol::lol:

It was made that way so box could be changed in a field, or swamp. And also the fact that in 1947 it was only pits, not ramps so I would imagine it's a big lump to manhandle out underneath, easier out the top.

Well done la bala. I have pulled a Rangie gearbox out and they had to come upwards through the door. Fortunately had a friend with and engine lift, but still one hell of a job and putting it back was almost as bad. Eventually they saw the light and put a removable cross member on the chassis. Still need some muscle and the right kit to get a box out. You did well and nice to know an old Landie is still rolling. Mine is a 1989 90 with a 4ltr V8 and LT 85 gearbox which has been in and out three times so I know how you feel :-)

It was made that way so box could be changed in a field, or swamp. And also the fact that in 1947 it was only pits, not ramps so I would imagine it's a big lump to manhandle out underneath, easier out the top.

It aint no picnic taking it out the top by hand :lol:

Well done la bala. I have pulled a Rangie gearbox out and they had to come upwards through the door. Fortunately had a friend with and engine lift, but still one hell of a job and putting it back was almost as bad. Eventually they saw the light and put a removable cross member on the chassis. Still need some muscle and the right kit to get a box out. You did well and nice to know an old Landie is still rolling. Mine is a 1989 90 with a 4ltr V8 and LT 85 gearbox which has been in and out three times so I know how you feel :-)

Too be honest i didnt have to do any lifting, i left the manually lifting out to my son and grandson, at my age heavy lifting is a memory i am afraid. :lol:

It aint no picnic taking it out the top by hand :lol:

If there's three of you get a long fence post (8') through the doors and sling it to the box. One person each side outside the doors lifts the post / gearbox and the third guides it in or out. It's not too heavy that way.

You can convert the cross member to removable quite easily, not really worth it unless you have a ramp though.

If there's three of you get a long fence post (8') through the doors and sling it to the box. One person each side outside the doors lifts the post / gearbox and the third guides it in or out. It's not too heavy that way.

You can convert the cross member to removable quite easily, not really worth it unless you have a ramp though.

:good: