Digging pigeons

Stimo22

Hi All -- I have a real problem with pigeon digging in my front garden borders, they are making a terrible mess with earth everywhere. Today had one with a muddy patch up its front which I have never seen before. The border contains a mix of marigolds and petunias and is about 15 inch wide so I can not work out what they are digging for

Can anyone offer advice, can not shoot then as to open

Agreed it is unlikely to be woodies unless you mean common ones. I get almost everything in the garden at some point including the odd duck that thinks the standing water is a pond, twice had magpies kill slow worms, twice had hawks kill and eat doves, rats which I kill but don't eat but never seen digging by pigeon. Crows paid the price last year and squirrels scrape the drive border on the front but despite neighbours goading me into shooting those I still haven't.

I'd say early morning squirrels although I have seen black birds move loads of chippings off boarders onto the grass.

I can assure everyone that these are woodpigeon and they are digging holes a couple of inches deep. I have seen them doing it and yesterday evening I saw one with a big brown muddy patch on its front. They are throwing soil all over the path and I am having to sweep up twice a day. I would not have believed it unless I had seen it myself

I can assure everyone that these are woodpigeon and they are digging holes a couple of inches deep. I have seen them doing it and yesterday evening I saw one with a big brown muddy patch on its front. They are throwing soil all over the path and I am having to sweep up twice a day. I would not have believed it unless I had seen it myself

Any pics :lol:

I have seen wood pigeons digging holes on a field of winter rape in September, they were digging for small black slugs, some of the holes were two inches deep, we eventually setup and shot the field and a good quarter of them (50) had crops full of slugs.

• 4 weeks later...