To Clip or not to Clip

I take it that is a typo above kennet??

Folk will always argue either way and both have plus's and minus's.

If u get a fox in pen first few nights ur birds are doomed anyway, after 4 or so nights ur birds should be beginning get up and roost. If u clip u might have that worry/risk for 2 weeks ish. All depends how confident u are with ur pens

Think worth clipping if u have a pen on steepish ground, small pens where birds can easily spook/flop over the wire or if problems with BoP's scaring them over the wire. Might be worth clipping.

Scully will depend when u get ur ex layers but u can't really clip them the same, if birds are already throu the moult and u clip will not get feathers back till the next summer, the same if u get older more mature poults

Very few keepers clip in my area and local gamefarmer hadly ever gets asked to clip.

1 shoot i used to help on used to only get some clipped for certain pens, as so steep, birds would easily flap from top and glide over the wire at botom despite the pens being big.

It also depends how hard (how much u take off) u clip them too

Rimfire, when u say keep bird sin pen longer, Do u have problems with lot's of birds going over wire in first week?

After the first week some birds will be flying almost normally anyway and by 2nd week most will have the new primaries gown in, so after 2 weeks probably won't make any difference.

Sometimes mature birds at 6 1/2 weks have primaries to big to clip

We clip ours to try and keep them in the pens longer.

I also help out at a big shoot with 3 keepers and we clip all of theirs as well, 2 teams and we clip about 1000 birds an hour per team.

1000 Birds per hour could be why they want me to have them unclipped got 3000 coming.

Scully will depend when u get ur ex layers but u can't really clip them the same, if birds are already throu the moult and u clip will not get feathers back till the next summer, the same if u get older more mature poults

We're not talking about ex-layers; the OP asked about poults. We clip neither our poults nor ex-layers, and the latter for the reasons you've given after advice from the NGO.

After seeing what a fox can do to clipped birds in the pen we HAVNT clipped them since.

But with a good steel mesh pen and electric wire it's less of a worry now to what it was.

You may hold them in the pen for a couple of weeks extra?? But I am one of the Unclipped brigade.