Strange problem

Harry136

I have a Browning Maxus, it's correctly adjusted etc and has a 1/2 choke in it. My problem is that i can hit clays at distance with it, but anything close and i'm going really high! Whats going on? What can I do? I never experienced this with my Benelli M2!

If you are hitting clays at a distance but not up close then it can only be the fact that the shot has had chance to spread - you must still be shooting high but the spread of shot is masking the error. Fit full choke and sort yourself out on skeet range targets would be my suggestion.

I have a Browning Maxus, it's correctly adjusted etc and has a 1/2 choke in it. My problem is that i can hit clays at distance with it, but anything close and i'm going really high! Whats going on? What can I do? I never experienced this with my Benelli M2!

Genuine POI issues would manifest themselves on distance birds too because as true as it is to say patterns are bigger at range, the reality is that you simply cannot consistently connect with anything other than the centre of a pattern, peripheral/random strikes with the edge of a pattern not only produce weak breaks they also lead to misses.

Depending of course on what you actually call close, the cause is much more likely to be technique or method flaws. How do you for instance know you're going really high ? Really high close would mean high at range; are you placing the pattern below the line of flight on purpose on these ? If so then it isn't set up right is it. I'd get a coach or expert shot to watch you shoot, the cause would be pretty obvious.

I have been shooting for 47 years and for the last 40 only used guns with 1/4 choke max. A skeet 27.5" bored cylinder 1/4 and 30" bored 1/4 1/4. Both guns can and do clean break 40 yard target...when you are in the right place. For the last 20 years I have used only #8 shot after seeing and reading what the late great AJS could do with them. No messing about with which is in which barrel.

With my Maxus I started out using the 1/4 which again had no problems on far and close targets. A few weeks ago I switched to the cylinder choke and it proved just as effective on both ranges.

So my suggestion is reduce your choke to 1/4. If things get better reduce it again to cylinder.

All this said, I too am a bit, shall I or shan't I keep it. I held an A5 recently and it was a little more comfortable holding the thinner forend (forearm). Then I started looking at Benelli's semi-autos.

Edited by B25Modelman

I dont have this problem with my Browning Cynergy! Just thinking, could it be to do with the fact that both the Benelli and the Cynergy has a raised rib and the Maxus is flat?

The Maxus rib is not parallel to the barrel axis. There is quite a taper from breach to muzzle as seen here compared to a Browning OU. It would if anything make the gun shoot high.

Edited by B25Modelman

I have pattern plated it and its smack bang in the center!

Odds on are that you arguably "aimed" when doing this. This would have kept your cheek on the stock. Check that you're not lifting your head when shooting normally. But as said, a coach job before you starting spending more good money after what might well turn out to be not bad after all