Ticks on the lawn!

bigbird

I can't believe it, my daughter's new JRT pup came out of the garden the other day and a little while later we noticed a tick on him!

Never a problem we've had before, I've no idea where they're coming from apart from birds I suppose?

Bearing in mind the lawn is where we put all the pups out to play I need to get rid of them asap or keep the pups in which would be a shame. Don't really want to use tick preventatives on the pups as they're only 6 weeks old but of course I will if I have to.

Anybody know any tips/tricks/lawn treatments that can put the horrid critters off settling there?

Edited by bigbird

Thats not good, the last thing you want on young pups. I remember when my daughter lived in Spain it was a ritual every evening de ticking three dogs, it was a good thing to give yourself a look over as well. Horrible little things, hope you get sorted asap.

Edited by la bala

Ticks are the worst i have ever seen this year, and midges too terrible round here.

Likewise, the mild and wet winter has really ramped up the population around here too, blows, clegs and all other manner of nasties in abundance.

We had some of the young gimmers with ticks this year on lowland pasture that's almost unheard off to carry the little bleeders!

Silly question, but are you sure the tick was picked up in the garden?

As has been said, they tend to reside in tall grass/ferns and hitch a lift on passing traffic.

Could it have been picked up elsewhere/ another visiting dog? Either that or it's a one off as the tick got there another way.

Best thing you can do is monitor the pups and see if it's an isolated incident.

They are sadly on the increase linked to climate change . The warm wet summers and milder winters have created a perfect climate for them. The increase in deer numbers is also a key to their increase into new suburban areas .

If I remember correctly the smaller the host animal the more likely the tick will be infected with Lyme disease or one of the other blood diseases as they have to feed for longer.

Advantix is apparently the best treatment for dogs.

They are sadly on the increase linked to climate change . The warm wet summers and milder winters have created a perfect climate for them. The increase in deer numbers is also a key to their increase into new suburban areas .

If I remember correctly the smaller the host animal the more likely the tick will be infected with Lyme disease or one of the other blood diseases as they have to feed for longer.

Advantix is apparently the best treatment for dogs.

Agreed, we have had ticks on sheep this year where we have never before known them. The little **** seem to be everywhere