Double cabs..

ElvisThePelvis

Cheaper road tax, being a commercial, but 50 mph speed limit on single carriageways and 60 mph on dual carriageways. 70 on motorways

Andy

The speed limit thing has changed now for double cabs. They are classed as "dual-purpose vehicles" and not subject to goods vehicle speed limits.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/q529.htm

Edited by walshie

One thing to bear in mind, two of my mates had accidents in them. Both were accelerating gently around bends / corners in the wet and the back end came round. One was pulling uphill out of a works drive and it did a 180 in the road, the other out of a roundabout on a dual carriageway, he closed the road for 4 hours :unhappy:

One of them has now passed away but got rid of it pronto, the other bought one with permanent 4wd. Both Toyota's that crashed.

One thing to bear in mind, two of my mates had accidents in them. Both were accelerating gently around bends / corners in the wet and the back end came round. One was pulling uphill out of a works drive and it did a 180 in the road, the other out of a roundabout on a dual carriageway, he closed the road for 4 hours :unhappy:

One of them has now passed away but got rid of it pronto, the other bought one with permanent 4wd. Both Toyota's that crashed.

Funnily enough I had been warned about that, I think the back is so light it just loses grip unladen.

second that. i would not want to be putting a dead deer in the back of the wifes car lol

I'm lucky, most of my permission is at the back of the house..

Cheaper road tax, being a commercial, but 50 mph speed limit on single carriageways and 60 mph on dual carriageways. 70 on motorways

Andy

I've never heard of those speed restrictions and I have been driving a pickup more than 5 years. Can somebody give me chapter and verse! Edited by Fisheruk

It is just a question of driving skill. Drive within the ability of your vehicle and there are no problems.

got a 2007 l200 as my daily runaround/work/shooting truck

does everything i need it too and more and will average 35mpg no matter if tooling around town or zipping along a motorway

has a great traction control system thats sorts out any rwd craziness that some are inflicted with whilst on the road in 2wd

beds a bit short (as expected) but i can still get all the junk i need in there

005_zpsyu88yde2.jpg

Not really sure where the hole it will kill you thing comes from! I have driven l200s and work and my own hiluxs and yes the rear will spin up if you hoof it out a junction, but never had one spin round or do anything remotely dangerous.

I love my truck, dogs, dead stuff and at a push 7 bales of straw in the back and the cab can be kept as clean and as pleasant as you like.

Some are Pug ugly especially some with hardtops.

As Fisher UK says drive properly and back end is not an issue.

I love parking mine on the flat over night when its raining, letting it fill with water. Then reversing it down the slope in the morning and stopping whilst i open the gate and watching the waterfall out the back. Ahhhh simple pleasures :lol:

The speed limit thing has changed now for double cabs. They are classed as "dual-purpose vehicles" and not subject to goods vehicle speed limits.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/q529.htm

Thanks for that Walshie. I changed my Ranger for a disco commercial 2 or 3 years ago. I don't suppose you can come up with a link telling me i can do the same speed as a passenger disco?

Andy

Thanks for that Walshie. I changed my Ranger for a disco commercial 2 or 3 years ago. I don't suppose you can come up with a link telling me i can do the same speed as a passenger disco?

Andy

Plus one, i was un aware of this too.

Re double cabs they are practical work horses you can put things in the back dogs engines axles they are a practical thing in this respect, but the whole driving experience is average at best, the hilux is the nicest to drive in my experience, but it is very much aruck not a SUV.

Handling is i dont think unsafe sure they step out if you provoke them but general driving they are fine. If you are in a blasing hurry though you will notice a difference even when comparing to a similat type of SUV like say a hilux to a colorado etc.

Mate had a late 1990s shogun sport he loved it, decided he would get a L200 for the double cab versatility, this would be 2008 the L200 would have been a 2004 or 2005 at a gues back then, what a difference, the L200 was terrfible compared to the shogun sport both on refinement and ultimat handling, the L200 was firm but skittered about if you pushed it hard compared to the shogun sport which rolled a little more perhaps but was predictable and tidy handling.

None of this might matter to you, but for heavens sake drive a few decide if they are for you first thats my advice.

Andy

I think the issue is deciding if your vehicle fits the criteria for being a dual purpose vehicle. Once you have sorted that, the limits are clearly stated on the government website. It's mostly to do with 4WD, under 2040kg UNLADEN, rear seats, rear windows and so on.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles/car-derived-vans-and-dual-purpose-vehicles

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

:good:

Edited by walshie

No weight over rear axle possibly?

No weight over rear axle possibly?

That's correct, as in the situation most are nearly all the time.

With regard to being useful to throw stuff in the back, can't argue with that, but you can't leave it unattended then if open. They have their good points and their bad points, only one person knows which outweighs which to the owner.

I must say I like the look of the two door king cab ones but I do not no what you can get behind the front seats.

I use mine (Hilux) mostly two up. The seat folds away to make a small van. If there some more people or messy stuff I use the tub. Its great. I really don't see rear end grip on the road as an issue its a truck not a BMW.

If you really boot it in the wet in an empty L200 the back end can start to slide, the traction control sorts it out but you do lose drive while it does, easy enough to sort though, once you're used to when the turbo kicks in you can ease off a bit to stop it slipping, or just stick it in four wheel drive when it's wet, warrior model and up has a viscous coupling and can be used in four wheel drive high on Tarmac without wind up, you could happily leave it in four wheel drive permanently if you don't mind the extra wear and tear and fuel consumption.

Edited by Jamesey1981

They seem to fit most pickups with Bridgestone duellers these are pants, fit a decent set of grabbers or bfg and it simply doesn't happen. I've had a few now and would find it hard to go back, dog smell in the back. Dead things in the back, logs, tip runs etc etc and it gives 33mpg plus on the work run. Just got back from Cornwall dragged the caravan down there again and in comfort. Add in the fact they are relatively cheap, well built and reasonable to run costs wise and it's a bit of a no brained if you want one vehicle to do everything