Pulling on lead in group

fitz

My statement was that the dog was pressured into taking the lead (s'cuse the pun) whereas yours suggested it was actually actively trying to, that's all.

But to be fair we are splitting hairs :)

It is always interesting to hear someone else's interpretation. For me, the crucial part of the problem is contained here;

"On the lead she wants to pull me (mainly) in whichever direction we're all walking. It tends to be worse if Liz is with me and our other dog Hollie. If I'm walking Freddie she watches where Liz is and wants to follow. So this in my head makes Liz the alpha male and I'm the idiot on the end of the lead."

Freddie thinks that she can dictate where they are going. So in effect she is asserting herself over her owner in the pack structure.

When we started training new police dogs the first exercise was a group walk. Maybe four or five handlers and their young dogs. It was noticeable that the dogs that had recently been assigned to the handlers all behaved in the same way. If they were at the back of the leading pair they would pull like *******. The front handler had it easy whilst those behind struggled to control the pace of their dogs. But if a handler had got a young dog that they had brought on themselves for any length of time prior to the course starting, they would usually be walking side by side with no battles going on. Those handlers had already sorted the pack structure in their partnership and the dog deferred to the handler regards pace.

Freddie needs to know who is boss and for me the easiest way whilst on a walk is the Halti nose collar. If kids can lead two tonnes of bull around a show ring using a rope attached to the bull's nose then that is sufficient control for me.