i am mainly doing U/J's

ditchman

Tomorrow i will be starting a MAJOR engineering job..//not ! ..........changing my universal joints....(hardy spicer joint)...an easy job for them who have done it before......so i will be doing it for the lads who need a bit of encouragement to do it themselves.......

all comments will be welcome........

• abusive
  • smarty panz
  • sexual
  • inuendo
  • helpful
  • trollish

boring comments will not be tolerated......

watch this space................

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you sure its a Hardy Spicer ditchman, and not the gearbox :lol::lol:

shut you up............you will cause a storm you will...........

So you want dirty torque?

How about a new one for you "finishing off a job quick because the fella has show coming up and needs to get the rebuild road legal and not have egg on his face" :lol:

he wants everything gold plated...............it will never see a drop of blood or a muddy puddle again.........and inside the carpets will smell of "fabreeze"...Mmmmnnn sweety

i will start it shortly..............as i had a rush job to do WHITEBRIDGES strimmer brush/cutter.....he needs it pronto for the shoot....anyway thats all done so if it is not raing tomorrow i will get on with it............

roight ...on with the U/J's..........

what is interesting to note is how the rubber seals have changed...the old ones ...you had to be careful not to overpump grease into it as it would burst the seal...but the new generation are more like an "O" ring so if you overpump grease into them the old grease will be forced out but the seal wont burst.....

in pic#3 you can see the needle roller bearings in the cap.;...and in pic #2 the circlips that hold the uj in place......

post-11401-0-38781700-1467996427_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-58863400-1467996440_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-00591400-1467996456_thumb.jpg

post-11401-0-77609200-1467996470_thumb.jpg

I think you was a photographer in a former life ditchman, cracking pics. :good:

the camera i have is an old 2nd hand Lumix 12 mega pixis...........................those U/J's are GKN.....if you buy them from a landrover dealer before VAT list price...£70 each

i got those from JSF ....including VAT..£12 each............HHmmmmmm. :hmm:

I have often wondered what it would cost to re build a landrover using genuine lr parts :lol:

on the rebuilt engine i have in the shed "on display"....the inlet valves .....were £ 3.18p each................yes 3 quid each....you dont want to know the landrover price for the same valve :lol:

you know i renewed everything on the rebuild...new teflon coated pistons everything .......all of you watched me do it...inc VAT @20%..just a shade over £600 quid.......i was quoted £1200.00 for an exchange rebuilt turbo-charger.....i renewed the turbine and bush and seals...and aluminium compression chamber...the parts came from Garrett in Italy 15 euro's postage total cost £57.00...(compression chamber was only £15.00 !!!............the injector pump was totally re-built and tested...with certificate £200.00..........a new one IF IT IS AVAILABLE...£2500.00.............

its same everywhere...i needed 2 swivel bearings for my mower a couple of years ago...so i rang Ben Burgess the agent in Norwich for the Acto and the bearings were £37.00 EACH...........went to the shop next to wensum welding they do bearings...got the same bearing £2.57 each.........the same with the mariner outboard engine i did a while back on pigeonwatch...the costings are there !!!

Edited by ditchman

havnt a clue gearboxes frighten me ................you would think so tho'...........isnt it what we call "the spider joint"...

Think it is, we always refer to them a "UJ's" though. Always liked doing the truck boxes, especially the Fuller range change ones, twin split could be a pig but not many of those about when I came out of it so only did a few. Hated engines, oil dripping down your neck under the ramp, and you just knew the driver was going to thrash the daylights out of it as soon as he got it back.

The twin splitter was a lovely gearbox. You only needed the clutch to pull away from then on it was revs and timing.

Oh I know all about that, when it came out I spent ages touring the local area to such as BRS trying to show the drivers how to use one :yes: Some drivers couldn't quite get the hang of it :whistling:

Must say though, it wasn't a box I liked at all and apparently was initially intended to be like the EPS in the Mercs, but they never finished it :lol:

im totally lost on gearboxs.....i did the reduction box on a grader once..........never got it right...and i had the instruction manual..........

Some like engines, some like transmissions. You usually find you get a better job if the bloke doing it likes what he's doing. The last main dealer I worked for worked to this principal whenever possible, and it worked well :good:

I was happy with diffs, gearboxes etc and also was the structural man (hook lifts, truck mounted cranes and did a lot of the "awkward" recoveries etc). Everyone happy, good jobs going out the door :good: