discovery 2 TD5 owners

viking

my 2003 td5 has got a bit of a problem that only happens now and again but enough to be a problem, now and again it goes into something like limp mode, today i was driving on a flat road, i went from 1st 2nd 3rd to 4th and there it sat at 2000rpm's at 28mph foot to the floor but that was all it was giving,i pulled over and reved the **** out of it for a while and it was ok, got home and googled it and it sounds like it could be the EGR valve, seems like ther is a blanking plate you can get to stop this happening, that seems like it is for the 300tdi, or there is a kit for the td5 that is pretty much the same only it has a bit of a tube with it,

any other disco drivers come across this problem before??

thanks.

lee

No warning lights on. Where is the MAF censor?

It only does it now and again so it will be hard to know straight away. And when I say now and again I mean every few month.

Sent you a PM with my mobile.

Call me when your by the car and I'll open my bonnet and guide you to it.

Cos

Not TD5 viking but a little story, in my younger life i worked with earthmoving plant, on this particular contract i was operating a Cat dozer, i was haveing problems with it losing revs every now and then, this didnt happen every day. Well for 3 or 4 weeks it had the fitters baffled, they had tried everything. As a last resort they decided to take the tank off and flush it out. When the tank was turned upside down out came a ladies G String, it had been floating about in there sometimes getting sucked to the pickup pipe. :lol::lol: . True story.

Sent you a PM with my mobile.

Call me when your by the car and I'll open my bonnet and guide you to it.

Cos

didnt get time to mess about with the disco today cos, just having a look online now though, is this the MAF censor??

post-9513-0-20042500-1468190176_thumb.jpg

didnt get time to mess about with the disco today cos, just having a look online now though, is this the MAF censor??

That's the baby.

As you open the bonnet, just above the passenger side haedlamp, in that corner there is a black box (air filter), and that picture you posted is the thick hose coming off that black box.

Press that silver clip down with one hand, and gently wiggle out that plug. You can drive the car with that unplugged, if you find that the problem is gone, you can start by trying to clean the MAF sensor (plug back in and see if it fixes things) or you will need a new one.

The downside to driving with the MAF sensor unplugged, will be that the car won't be running at it's optimum (power/mpg etc), but it's perfectly fine to drive with it unplugged until you can source one.

All this said, we ain't sure this is the culprit yet, but it's an easy check to do.

Keep us posted.

Cos

Edited by Cosd

blue peter badge on its way to you cos, you were bang on the money :yahoo::yahoo:

got home from work, took the censor off and went for a spin, went like a train, dont remember it ever running so well. then i pulled up and plugged it back in as soon as i set off :no::no: went like it has been of late, ****, when i got back home i was going to take the EGR off and clean it but there was one bolt i thought id never get to so i didnt bother, i blew the censor off with the air line, gave it a dose of WD40 let it soak in for an hour and blew it off again, left unplugged to get some air,iv looked at new ones but they look nothing like mine :hmm::hmm:

this is the one i found, but now iv found another but it seems like the hole pipe bit with the censor on top,

post-9513-0-71986000-1468258326_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-97384000-1468258332_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-49085800-1468258574_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-73177400-1468258581_thumb.jpg

well ill try the £25 one iv seen before i go to such extent and see how it runs, saying that i cleaned mine up yesterday to see if that helped and not even took it for a run,

is it the big one you got or the small one, and i do remember seeing the price of the small one at about £100

tried the cleaned censor but still didnt run properly, would it or may it make a difference if i took the hole lot out and cleaned it, as i only cleaned the censor bit, and reading up on them i should probably of took it all out and cleaned it :hmm::hmm:

tried the cleaned censor but still didnt run properly, would it or may it make a difference if i took the hole lot out and cleaned it, as i only cleaned the censor bit, and reading up on them i should probably of took it all out and cleaned it :hmm::hmm:

Only just seen your reply Viking, glad you'e found the culprit!

Like I said previously, you could run it indefinitely with the sensor unplugged, but the car won't be as efficient as it should in both power and economy.

You need to be careful with an airline, the sensor is delicate. I would strip it apart as much as possible and clean it with contact cleaner, allow to dry and put it back in. It may or may not do the trick.

When I had the issue with my Mercedes, I could buy just the sensor itself saving a packet on buying the whole thing; I don't know what the options are with the TD5 I'm afraid.

It's worth getting yourself on The D2 Boys club forum and asking on there where to buy a MAF sensor, those boys will know if any aftermarket ones are worth buying. if all else fails you will get some discount from one of the suppliers on a new one, and you might also grab yourself a used one.

Cos