02 Freelander TD4

Glenlivet

A couple of days ago I started getting a sound like rushing air from the driver's side of the engine when given some throttle. I thought that possibly the air box or a hose from the air box had become detached and planned to have the car serviced this coming week. Now, however, not only is the noise getting worse but the car is also throwing out black smoke under acceleration. No warning lights or appreciable loss of performance and the car starts and sounds ok as usual.

I'm hoping someone will tell me that the grommet flange needs nipping up at a cost of five bob but I'm afraid the turbo is letting go. Anyone any ideas before the car goes to the garage tomorrow? A quick look under the bonnet didn't shed any light.

So,did you find a split then?

No, I'll leave it to the garage. I gave up ********* about with car engines when you needed a special socket to take off the engine cover and a computer to 'read' the engine. Just like to know how much blood I need to extract before I take the car in 😱