Puntgunning

greenergp

This might seem a stupid question, but is puntguning legal on live quarry.

I mentioned puntgunning to a workmate who is a game shooter and he said it was illegal??

Yes it is legal but only in certain areas , on our estuary ( Breydon Water ) it was banned around 1968 .

Size of barrel is what counts...

Cannot remember exactly,but it is about:: 1:1/4" to 1:1/2".

You can Google it probably,Trouble is the SHOT, Would not like to fully stoke a Punt Gun..

Cost a fortune,,Once again into the romantics of puntgunning..

Yes,people love to read the stories of getting out on the flats,(Roost's) while they are sleeping and resting.. It will go down as a memory by the few that did do it..

I shall cherish mine.

Size of barrel is what counts...
Cannot remember exactly,but it is about:: 1:1/4" to 1:1/2".
You can Google it probably,Trouble is the SHOT, Would not like to fully stoke a Punt Gun..
Cost a fortune,,Once again into the romantics of puntgunning..
Yes,people love to read the stories of getting out on the flats,(Roost's) while they are sleeping and resting.. It will go down as a memory by the few that did do it..

Puntgunning is alive and thoroushing in most parts of the land. Some local areas prohibit it.

Rivers Deben and Alde in Suffolk - The Blackwater down in Essex and many other places have thriving puntgunner communities.

Up around the Wash you will also find working punts.

Thought it was the size of the gun that was restricted where you

Thus making punt gunning impractical

Though I maybe miss interpreted the wording

All the best

Of

Hi Of .......... Yes you can still shoot from a punt but not with what we would call a punt gun , when they made it into a reserve I believe the biggest shoulder gun allowed was a 8 bore , although to see a punt on the estuary now is very rare as there are no sheds left now where we kept our two and the other fowlers kept there punts , you are now more likely to see a Blue moon than a fowler pushing on to a bunch of Widgeon nowadays, :no:

The maximum calibre under WCA (national legislation) is an inch and three quarters, which excludes a number of historic pieces. However, I understand that on the parts of Breydon where you can still shoot from a boat only "handgun" sizes are permitted.

That is correct , the Broards Authority is now the main body on the estuary so things might change again before to long , but I can safely say , shooting a punt gun on there is now in the history books and unlikely ever to be seen again .

Puntgunning is alive and thoroushing in most parts of the land. Some local areas prohibit it.

Rivers Deben and Alde in Suffolk - The Blackwater down in Essex and many other places have thriving puntgunner communities.

Up around the Wash you will also find working punts.

Blackwater still has a few people doing it.

Still plenty of punt gunners on the south coast.

One chap I was talking to at one of the game fairs, who had a double punt and big gun to go with it was telling me , he didn't think there were more than 50 active punt gunners left in the whole country , How right this is , I don't know , but I wont have thought he was to far out .

Theres a few get to Lindisfarne but think only 2 shots were fired last season

Some punt gunners can , and do go a whole season without firing a shot , even more so this day and age with using non toxic shot , when you think the tides , sea conditions , wind , depth of water , fog , even the quantity of fowl and how tight they are sitting have all got to be right before the punt gunner decide weather its worth laying down and trying to get in range for a shot .

On the Chris Green wildfowling D V D he was saying there need to be at least five sitting close enough together to take a shot and for his size gun it cost over £20 a shot , for those who have got a bigger gun the cost would be more than that .

I know the cost isn't to much of a worry for how many shots are taken and maybe one of punt gunning friends will tell us what a shot cost and what would be his minimum amount of fowl he would think about before taking a shot ?

I have only been punt gunning once , but it was an amazing experience. A friend took me out from Sutton Bridge on the Wash and we followed the estuary far out onto the mudflats.and beyond to the open sea. The muds were full of fowl, wigeon and pintail in the main , along with a few teal and mallard. Our only stalk was ruined when a seal kept swimming around the punt eventualy raising its self up to look into the punt to see what we were doing. Of course the bunch of pintail we were stalking took wing. At one time we punted through a thousand pintail swimming on the water , but could never line up enough for a shot, they were too scattered. My friend had a sliding scale for a shot . 8 mallard or Pintail and 15 wigeon or teal before he would take a shot.

It was very cold that January day , but time never hung heavy for a moment , there was always so much to see, huge bunches of waders flocks of duck and once a lone drake long tailed duck that surfaced close to the punt. A day i will never forget.

• 1 month later...