New Licensing in scotland ???

CannonCBR1000

In what way?

Have you applied for one?

As they're a legal requirement as of July 1st but everyone has until 31 Dec to make sure they're covered, then they may delay printing them until numbers come in....or they may just be on a pdf ready to edit/print.

FAC/SGC holders don't need to have one until next renewal time.

Yes i have to apply for the licence but was wondering how long it takes to come through, I have also applied for my shotgun cert at the same time, I spoke to the police and they have said to send shotgun application to local firearms and airgun application to Glasgow i was wondering how long it takes?

AirWEAPON is a separate "ticket" now, as with Shotgun & firearm certificates.

No jump in power - still the UK "airgun" power restriction of 12ft/lb for rifles & 6 ft/lb for pistols.

Current FAC & SGC automatically cover airWEAPONS until your expiry, at which point AirWEAPON is an additional "co-ter-minious" option.

No itemisation (for NOW) of each airgun owned, so akin to the old dog licence; quite apt given the old dog that signed it into power, Auld-Fishy-Face herself!

Rumours are the take up nationwide is approaching double figures.

Another positive use of power by the SNP, long may the Forth Reich dictate what's best for us.

So you having to pay for the Airgun and SGC? If so that does seem VERY unjust.

Could you not just sort out the SGC first then as the guidelines are that everyone has until the end of the year to see they are covered that way you will have a current SGC and a legal way of owning the airgun? Then all you pay is £5 for adding the airgun when you renew the SGC again (unless they change that too). SGC & FAC holders according to the guidleines will not be paying full price of the airgun ticket.

The whole thing is quite unclear none of the fine detail inc different scenarios has really been considered. Looks like the approach taken is that if they dont know then you pay full whack??

You with BASC? If so might be useful to call them. Also you mentioned local firearms dept and Glasgow. If your based within the Glasgow catchment I would have thought all applications go to them?

Edited by Andra

AirWEAPON is a separate "ticket" now, as with Shotgun & firearm certificates.

No jump in power - still the UK "airgun" power restriction of 12ft/lb for rifles & 6 ft/lb for pistols.

Current FAC & SGC automatically cover airWEAPONS until your expiry, at which point AirWEAPON is an additional "co-ter-minious" option.

No itemisation (for NOW) of each airgun owned, so akin to the old dog licence; quite apt given the old dog that signed it into power, Auld-Fishy-Face herself!

Rumours are the take up nationwide is approaching double figures.

Another positive use of power by the SNP, long may the Forth Reich dictate what's best for us.

I like that one Clyde!

So you having to pay for the Airgun and SGC? If so that does seem VERY unjust.

Could you not just sort out the SGC first then as the guidelines are that everyone has until the end of the year to see they are covered that way you will have a current SGC and a legal way of owning the airgun? Then all you pay is £5 for adding the airgun when you renew the SGC again (unless they change that too). SGC & FAC holders according to the guidleines will not be paying full price of the airgun ticket.

The whole thing is quite unclear none of the fine detail inc different scenarios has really been considered. Looks like the approach taken is that if they dont know then you pay full whack??

??? NO, seriously?

IF you or anyone else ALREADY POSSESSED an FAC or SGC BEFORE July 1st, then that FAC/SGC acts as an authority for airguns, until it is renewed, at which time the airgun certificate must be added if you wish to own/use airguns.

No FAC or SGC, but also want airguns? = then the ONLY option* is to apply for co-terminous airgun certificate at the same time as applying for FAC/SGC.

Your suggestion would be treated exactly the same as someone with a new SGC deciding to also buy an FAC rifle, but not bothering to apply for the FAC to save a few quid until next renewal. = Fine/Jail = and the joy of being the scape goat for the new law with no doubt wide coverage in the media

*other than destroying them or trying to sell via an RFD: & best of luck there!

• 2 weeks later...

??? NO, seriously?

IF you or anyone else ALREADY POSSESSED an FAC or SGC BEFORE July 1st, then that FAC/SGC acts as an authority for airguns, until it is renewed, at which time the airgun certificate must be added if you wish to own/use airguns.

No FAC or SGC, but also want airguns? = then the ONLY option* is to apply for co-terminous airgun certificate at the same time as applying for FAC/SGC.

Your suggestion would be treated exactly the same as someone with a new SGC deciding to also buy an FAC rifle, but not bothering to apply for the FAC to save a few quid until next renewal. = Fine/Jail = and the joy of being the scape goat for the new law with no doubt wide coverage in the media

*other than destroying them or trying to sell via an RFD: & best of luck there!

Or selling them in England or Wales

According to my nephew who has applied for a sgc certificate in february (i think) after i told him the sgc covered him for his airguns, he was then told by fettes (lothian and borders police) that he could not buy or sell airguns with a sgc only own them for the duration of his sgc, he has applied for his airgun licence now and will update how long that took after i speak to him ,re his sgc he had his visit last week and been told if he has not heard from them in a month to phone them.

Just to add ,he was told by the pc dealing with him that it was heartbreaking to see guns worth 2/3/4 hundred pounds being handed in to be destroyed, i went in last week to get some sg transfer forms at the firearms section ,rang the desk bell and a pc came out ,asked for the forms and he replied i know nothing re sgc or fac i am only here to accept airguns handed in i will get a firearms clerk for you. Last i heard 650 airguns have been handed in to the police in midlothian.

johnnie

Edited by AULD YIN

• 2 weeks later...

According to my nephew who has applied for a sgc certificate in february (i think) after i told him the sgc covered him for his airguns, he was then told by fettes (lothian and borders police) that he could not buy or sell airguns with a sgc only own them for the duration of his sgc, he has applied for his airgun licence now and will update how long that took after i speak to him ,re his sgc he had his visit last week and been told if he has not heard from them in a month to phone them.

Just to add ,he was told by the pc dealing with him that it was heartbreaking to see guns worth 2/3/4 hundred pounds being handed in to be destroyed, i went in last week to get some sg transfer forms at the firearms section ,rang the desk bell and a pc came out ,asked for the forms and he replied i know nothing re sgc or fac i am only here to accept airguns handed in i will get a firearms clerk for you. Last i heard 650 airguns have been handed in to the police in midlothian.

johnnie

Got his SGC on saturday so that took 6 months ,,,Airgun ....Sorry air weapon licence he got today so about a month for that,

johnnie

Getting a bit of rough shooting in scotland is going to be tough with all these shotgun certificates new compulsory certificates up there.

Ok a few will not bother with getting a shotgun cert with the application but i imagine the up take will be big.

I dont think the Scotish Government have thought about this very well at all.

The Government have effectively forced and given everyone who is even remotely interested in air guns in scotland a GOOD REASON to apply for a shotgun cert, and then buy own use one.

If you have a bit of land to hunt on lads up there hang onto it with both hands.

Edited by TONY R

Just an update: There is actually no 'official' air rifles clubs up here! Mine will be going on my SGC for 5 years and then i'll have to pay double the renewal next time around, thats if the Doc gives her consent or doesn't write a letter to the Police objecting to 'arms' in general or starts charging me quarterly fees for monitoring my medical records...Scotland has gone mad. SNP...nah, Nowhere to shoot an air rifle either, not many clubs want them or are too far away, so how am i going to say they are all collectible items, Original 50, HW35, Webley Senior (absolutely mint and i mean mint) and a BSA Airsporter Mk1, they aint getting scrapped, i'll keep them with the inlaws down south

Footnote: ****** SNP are trying it on with a sea angling licence to!

Got his SGC on saturday so that took 6 months ,,,Airgun ....Sorry air weapon licence he got today so about a month for that,

johnnie

He traded in some airguns at armadale at the weekend and showed them his air weapon licence ,that was the first air weapon licence they had seen so at least it had some novelty value for him,he bought a new outlander that after about 50 shots unscrewed the bead ,we put it back on with locktight.

johnnie

Just an update: There is actually no 'official' air rifles clubs up here! Mine will be going on my SGC for 5 years and then i'll have to pay double the renewal next time around, thats if the Doc gives her consent or doesn't write a letter to the Police objecting to 'arms' in general or starts charging me quarterly fees for monitoring my medical records...Scotland has gone mad. SNP...nah, Nowhere to shoot an air rifle either, not many clubs want them or are too far away, so how am i going to say they are all collectible items, Original 50, HW35, Webley Senior (absolutely mint and i mean mint) and a BSA Airsporter Mk1, they aint getting scrapped, i'll keep them with the inlaws down south

Footnote: ****** SNP are trying it on with a sea angling licence to!

I will just have to sit on the end of the pier with me little hand line and see what they can do about that lol.

To be honest, it's unlikely the rest of the UK will follow this hair brained bit of legislation. The SNP have made it pretty clear to anyone with an ounce of political acumen that they, and their policies are a joke.

Don't expect to see airgun legislation in England or Wales anytime soon.