Benelli Raffaello Power Bore Deluxe

B25Modelman

Well I have gone and ordered one.

It was the only one at the importers GMK and in 28" barrel. I did much research and viewed two in the flesh but only the black and silver receiver models. A number of the reviewes stated it was manufactured in limited numbers and will or maybe now discontinued. I just liked the laser engraved details. Unfortunately I was unable to get a sighting of the wood quality but am hoping it's got some figure....maybe like this perhaps.

Edited by B25Modelman

hope you get the nicely grained wood you were after.

It appears the Deluxe has grade 3 wood, as per the not so profusely engraved silver model. I have seen some plain ones of those in my searching so with only one available it is going to be the luck of the draw.

The dealer has not unpacked it from its factory delivery cartons so even he has not had a look see.

Edited by B25Modelman

Got it.

The wood is not too bad, a little lighter than I would have liked but beggars cannot be choosers when there was only one available at GMK Ltd.

It has some figure port side but plain starboard,

The Italian Proof House stamp is CN which means it was tested in 2015

the laser engraving is superb.

I will upload more pics to my bucket page which is far easier and I can keep the images full size.

Thumbs up to Greenfields Salisbury for an excellent service.

Edited by B25Modelman

There is no point in getting the wrong impression to start with so, even though I drove by Spitfire, I spent an hour yesterday setting up the cast/drop shims and just looking over the gun.

I have it set as close to my B25's as possible with 37mm drop and 60mm heel...might even go further on heel because B25's are 63mm. The cast seems to look after itself and the gun mounts fine.

My only comment is the sharpness of the chequering on both stock and forend. Obviously it is new and had little handling so maybe I felt it more than that of a shop demo gun which has perhaps had much handling. Certainly the two I pre-handled did not feel so sharp. The chequering is conventional diamond on these guns and I would loved them to have used the fish scale/snake skin as used on the 828U.

Just wondering if I can top the chequer points with 1200 grit wet and dry paper.

Edited by B25Modelman

I wish you all the very best with your new gun. It looks mighty fine.

I owned an older version of the Raffaello with upgraded wood. It was a good gun. Nicely put together with great barrels.

The one thing that let it down was a poor trigger. It went to the 'smiths several times and still no good.

Hopefully your gun will be a different kettle of fish.

Edited by Whitebridges

I wish you all the very best with your new gun. It looks mighty fine.

I owned an older version of the Raffaello with upgraded wood. It was a good gun. Nicely put together with great barrels.

The one thing that let it down was a poor trigger. It went to the 'smiths several times and still no good.

Hopefully your gun will be a different kettle of fish.

Was it still under warranty or did you have problems with GMK.

Was it still under warranty or did you have problems with GMK.

I didn't go there.

Original trigger adjusted twice by a reputable gunsmith. Ended up getting another trigger unit fitted supplied by GMK. No better so reluctantly sold the gun for an A400 Extreme which i prefer. Not from a looks perspective i might add but

for me it's a better option.

Interesting, unlike Browning Maxus guns where, on new factory issued guns, the action frame has the same serial number as the barrel, the Raffaello does not.

The Beretta a400 is the same and it says in the instructions that as the barrals are interchangeable the serials won't match

I had my first outing this morning and put 130, 28g, Evo cartridges through it and was pleasantly surprised. The recoil is much the same as a Maxus and the slimmer fore-end was more comfortable to hold. Elsewhere I have commented on the 'sharp' chequering but I did not notice it after a few stands. I would still like to reduce it a tad. I am sure it can be and re-oiled.

This semi-auto is noticeably softer on recoil than the 828U. Comment elsewhere on that.

• 2 weeks later...

It's my second outing now and getting used to the feel of this gun after another 120 cartridges through. The sharpness (at first hold) of the chequering is OK. I like the thinner fore-end which is akin to my Browning schnabel's.

The build quality of these Benelli's is excellent, barrel in particular. IMHO far better than the Maxus though I still prefer the Maxus speed load system.

Edited by B25Modelman