Fitting a xs titan mainspring

8outof10

Hey everyone, have just bought myself a xs titan mainspring for my hw95. I want to keep my air rifle under uk legal power so was wondering if anyone has fitted an xs titan spring to hw95 and know how many, if any, coils need to be cut off as the spring seems to be considerably longer than my current spring.

Many thanks in advance for your help

If you have bought the correct Titan spring for the HW95, it will fit. There will be no need to go chopping coils off, it is a Titan XS mainspring, there's a very good reason why it seems to be considerably longer than your current spring ;)

You will need a spring compressor to fit it, If you're close by I will happily fit it for you FOC.

Hi hyflier, ok thanks, i was just concerned that the spring being longer may increase the power above the legal limit. Yes, it is the correct one, purchased from t.w chambers and sons. Thanks for the offer, very kind. I am in mid cornwall, where abouts are you?

I have just fitted a Titan spring to a Webley Omega (see Omega thread) apparently the one listed for the said gun,Number 8 if i remember correctly (again from chambers) I took 4 coils off before i even tried to fit the spring, after fitting i then chrnoy the gun.Had to take more coils off.as a side note the gun/spring impressed me .smooth as you like.

Thanks bladerunnertoo, i shall fit it, then chrony it and see where to go from there. Out of curiosity, how many ft/lbs did it drop per amount of coils removed, just as a rough guide in case mine is over when fitted.

Good to hear how smooth/great these springs are.

I Fitted one to my XTH85, and the package clearly stated it was likely to exceed uk legal limits, I chrono'd it after 1st fit and had to go through a cut and test series of fittings to get it under the limit to about 10.8 ft/lb and ended up having to cut about 3 coils off and re-flat and finish. Not a massive job but so much smoother.

I guess the warning is there to refute any liability, so if you're not going to be able to tune it to your country's legal requirements, best get a gunsmith to carry out the work.

I have a brand new V Mach full kit - unopened in all it's original packaging with new seal, oil, molyslip lube, spring guard, top hat, internal spring guide and pre-tension washers etc. It cost £85 but yours for £70

PM if you are interested - you won't get better from a kit :good: check out Steve Pope and Venom :good:

Its likely to be over the 12, when you fit it. ! So fit it chrono it ,and see what you get , then adjust.

But don't get to close to the 12, as they have been known creep up ! About 11 will do you nicely.

My 95 took a good while to stabilize, at 11.2.

Great gun though , its now smoother than a 'cashmere codpiece'.

Good luck with yours.

Not understanding this here?

Buy an over limit spring perfectly made with correctly forged and ground ends, then cut down to keep legal?

Nuff said.

They're aftermarket springs. They are nearly always too long. Don't fit the guides and top hats.

So you buy a good spring and then butcher it to fit. Good isn't it? ;)

I refinished correctly after cutting with the proper application of heat, ensuring temperature conduction control so as to not anneal further than the cut coil.once reformed, I ground flat and polished the bearing face of the end coil, as per factory finish.

Not a complicated process by any means.

Also, I would point out -

These are mass produced and would not be cost effective to manufacture so many different variations for what is effectively a small market I.e. the UK.

Many of the other end users of these springs beyond our shores are not subject to our power limits, and are undoubtedly a huge market by comparison.

The UK gun trade market share is miniscule in comparison to the rest of the world's sport shooting market, so sadly we are not so well catered for.