Best way to improve?

Shadowchaser

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested to know how you can shoot springing teal as the target is hidden under the barrels. Same with driven.

I shoot with both eyes open iam right handed and my left eye takes over and I can measure the lead with no problem. The gun and the clay are miles out of line though. It works for me.

If you want to improve listen to what WW says - go and get at least 2 or 3 lessons with an instructor who comes recommended - not necessarily from one of the organisations. Many of the best coaches do not belong to the various organisations, as they have no need, they get their work through their reputation and personal recommendation.

At the ground we get so many people who phone up having just got their brand new certificate after a long, long wait - rushed out and bought a gun and then find that can't hit anything like as many clays as they thought they would.

First you need to establish a sound, simple, reliable, consistent technique - easier said than done. You need to establish a good stance, mount and fit and eye dominance. This can all be covered quite quickly but it will then give you confidence to move forward. Start off on easy clays and gradually move on to more difficult ones once you have mastered the basic techniques. You will never achieve your potential if you just blaze away at competition standard targets hoping to occasionally connect at some point. It will cost you more and be so frustrating you may well give up before reaching your potential and gaining maximum enjoyment from your sport.

You certainly cant analyse someone's problems on a forum - you need to check them out and see them shoot otherwise it is just guessing blind.

John

He said he shoots maintained lead for every shot - driven, crossers, rising, rabbit, quartering etc. Very difficult to achieve any sort of standard, shooting right handed with a left master eye. Too many parts of the equation.

Never mentioned left master eye. If the right eye cannot see the clay as in teal and driven the left must take over.

iam right handed and my left eye takes over

If you have a right master eye - you would be looking straight down the barrel. Your left eye would not come into the equation. The fact that you are using your left eye, suggests it is dominant. PS - you did mention your left eye. "The left must take over" - no it must not.

If it works for you, good luck, but I cannot comprehend how anyone could shoot to a decent standard with such a mish-mash of technique.

As a rather new shooter here (started last october), I'm approaching the sport like I did many others. To me, the various methods of following/leading the target are worthless without proper musculature. I approached the subject by looking at what sort of muscle groups were in use while shooting, and doing a little bit of a workout on these especially; THAT will at least remove the problem of lack of precision and only leave the technical side. To me it was the shoulder adductors, left triceps, and the side abs. Doesn't need to be a LOT of workout, but I think you need to be aware that musculature matters when swinging a heavy object while trying to point it with some sort of precision at a target.

For the technical side, I took on skeet. It's as easy as that; I don't /particularly/ like it as a sport, but it's a great training practice. Try to find a ground that has a delay/remote and shoot 200, 300/day; work on /everything/ and nail down the feet placement, gun mount, pick up point, lead/follow/pull thru and try to get that down to some sort of 'instinctive' level. The hardest bit is to try to concentrate, most especially when you start to be tired. I'm not there yet.

After that the 'only' thing remaining to work on is the mind. I find that the physical of shooting is actually pretty straightforward, but the mental is extraordinarily important. I don't have a solution to that yet :-)

I did a 84/100 the other day, and the following one I did a 72. That 72 I dropped ONE in the first 35, then the mental collapsed and was all over the place. I was in the mode of "blimey I'm doing great-must-not-think-about-it" and then, I did :-)

So yes, 'lessons' are possibly the solution, but you need a great coach. A normal coach might mess you up more than anything, coaching is a LOT harder than shooting after all. It's not a given in any sport...

Buze that's some budget your working in the 200-300 clays a day at let's say £10 for 25 clays and cartridges that's £80-£120 a day or £560-840 a week £2240-£3360 a months.

Plus the time so about 1hour 20 mins per 100 so best part of 4 hours a day.

Hats off to you your really committing to this hope it pays off for you.

Buze that's some budget your working in the 200-300 clays a day at let's say £10 for 25 clays and cartridges that's £80-£120 a day or £560-840 a week £2240-£3360 a months.

Plus the time so about 1hour 20 mins per 100 so best part of 4 hours a day.

Hats off to you your really committing to this hope it pays off for you.

How did you decide to extrapolate this? I shoot my 200-300 every other week-end when I'm in wales. It's not the frequency, it's the volume that matters. Frequency is good, but volume is also important, it's like weightlifting.

How did you decide to extrapolate this? I shoot my 200-300 every other week-end when I'm in wales. It's not the frequency, it's the volume that matters. Frequency is good, but volume is also important, it's like weightlifting.

I misunderstood your 200-300/day comment

I disagree though volume can be a bad thing leading to issues especially with recoil sensitivity

. It's not the frequency, it's the volume that matters. Frequency is good, but volume is also important, it's like weightlifting.

Last year I was shooting 3 or 4 times a week. I`d do a 30 bird sporting on Tues, a bit of skeet on a Fri, then more sporting on Sat and Sun. My shooting undoubtedly improved. However if I`d tried to pack all that shooting into 1 day I doubt I would have seen the same improvement. It may be different for you but I would find it hard to concentrate and remain disciplined shooting such a large volume in a single session.

Looking through the gun is great and as Ed says only work with a totally right dominant shot, it's great for driven and a really useful skill to teach clients.

However I've not taught clients to shoot driven targets or teal with ML. I'd be interested to know Ed if you teach ML for normal driven birds.

going back a few years, I was with a group of guys that traveled around shooting sporting and fitasc, we shot most weekends around the country, I went to Sealand one midweek afternoon with a lad that worked for me and a slab of cartridges, went on the skeet range target by target, gun down ISU style with the lad deciding the delay, shot the slab, the following weekend the remarks from the other shooters on the way I was shooting and the improvement in my score, proved to me the benefit of skeet for practice,

thing that lets me down is my mind games, just wish I could turn thinking off and just shoot

I misunderstood your 200-300/day comment

I disagree though volume can be a bad thing leading to issues especially with recoil sensitivity

I shoot 24g for these sessions. Might even pick up 21g, as it does'nt really matter at that range, I'm either on it, or not!

The idea of shooting 300 is to make shooting 100 easier. it works!