Is it standing wheat or barley that can blind your dog ?

Royboy

The awns from ripening barley can break off and go up the dogs nose, in it's ears, it's eyes or pierce anywhere in it's skin. Some awns and seeds have been known to go into a dogs heart.

Most of the dog owners that I know who love and respect their dogs will not take them anywhere near ripening barley fields. It's not just a question of a huge vet bill but the health of the dog.

The awns from ripening barley can break off and go up the dogs nose, in it's ears, it's eyes or pierce anywhere in it's skin. Some awns and seeds have been known to go into a dogs heart.

Most of the dog owners that I know who love and respect their dogs will not take them anywhere near ripening barley fields. It's not just a question of a huge vet bill but the health of the dog.

Yeah I thought I'd heard that Jdog, I just wanted to double check but there's no chance I'd let him in standing barley now. Thanks for reply.

I've never done it anyway because i thought the dog would do more damage than a feeding pigeon

How do you tell the difference between grain and barley?

I thought knew - but now I'm not so sure.

Your question makes no sense.

Barley is a grain, as are wheat, oats, rye etc.

Pigeon shooters should have a basic knowledge of crops and other food sources to enable them to make the most of shooting opportunities.

How do you tell difference between Wheat and Barley I think is what was meant Jdog which is a question I'd like the answer to too pls. I have a half decent amount of crop knowledge now but before I started shooting more a few years back knew nothing. It's not always easy for us townies to be educated in such things and where we need help from more experienced members like yourself thanks.

Your question makes no sense.

Barley is a grain, as are wheat, oats, rye etc.

Pigeon shooters should have a basic knowledge of crops and other food sources to enable them to make the most of shooting opportunities.

Sorry - should have been clearer. I meant Barley and Wheat. Thanks for the pep talk. Can you answer the question now? I've been shooting for over 20 years but have usually shot over peas, beans or OSR (which I can differentiate) and usually wheat. I thought I knew how to tell the difference between wheat and barley but it seems I don't think I do (and I'm now worried about walking the dogs near local crops when I'm not sure what they are).

How do you tell difference between Wheat and Barley I think is what was meant Jdog which is a question I'd like the answer to too pls. I have a half decent amount of crop knowledge now but before I started shooting more a few years back knew nothing. It's not always easy for us townies to be educated in such things and where we need help from more experienced members like yourself thanks.

Every day is a school day! Hopefully we'll both learn something from it. :good: