Amber Hill in the DM

Salop Matt

hello, i put Amber Hill in the same light as any other competitor in the Rio Olympic games and wish her every success and if she shoots well to get a medal i think a recognition to the sport of competition clay pigeon shooting so that our younger generation can follow on, at least an OBE or one that justifies her dedication and skill to the sport. well a few sirs/OBE/MBEs we given to rowers etc what do other PW members think???

hello, i put Amber Hill in the same light as any other competitor in the Rio Olympic games and wish her every success and if she shoots well to get a medal i think a recognition to the sport of competition clay pigeon shooting so that our younger generation can follow on, at least an OBE or one that justifies her dedication and skill to the sport. well a few sirs/OBE/MBEs we given to rowers etc what do other PW members think???

I don't think shooters will ever get the recognition that shooters think they deserve,

It's like Phil Taylor and George Digweed

Chris Hoy gets 5? Gold medals and gets a Knighthood, then look at the number of titles the 2 above have won, yes they have been awarded OBE or whatever but to be honest anyone gets them,

Digweed and Taylor should have been Knighted on merit for what they have achieved in their chosen sports but alas it will never happen.

We have to accept it and move on

:shaun:

I actually think that Amber is very highly talented, started shooting at 10? Is now only 18? Has gold medals to her name, has her own cartridge courtesy of eley, is representing England in Rio. Lets see this daily mail writer have a go a skeet and see how good he/she is???? Plus it better for a child to learn a skill than sit in front of a tv or computer all day.

Edited by eastdevon

Lets see this daily mail writer have a go a skeet and see how good he/she is???? Plus it better for a child to learn a skill than sit in front of a tv or computer all day.

Unless I have read it wrong they weren't having a pop?

It was a good article?

I actually think that Amber is very highly talented, started shooting at 10? Is now only 18? Has gold medals to her name, has her own cartridge courtesy of eley, is representing England in Rio. Lets see this daily mail writer have a go a skeet and see how good he/she is???? Plus it better for a child to learn a skill than sit in front of a tv or computer all day.

It was a positive article from DM which is nice for once. And I thought she was representing Britain in Rio!!!

I don't think shooters will ever get the recognition that shooters think they deserve,

Chris Hoy gets 5? Gold medals and gets a Knighthood, then look at the number of titles the 2 above have won, yes they have been awarded OBE or whatever but to be honest anyone gets them,

Digweed and Taylor should have been Knighted on merit for what they have achieved in their chosen sports but alas it will never happen.

well put I have the same opinion. Shooting is always held back

i don't think you can compare they are completely different, Hoy or Redgrave they are "elite athletes" who have honed their skill with years of dedicated training, Phil Taylor & George Digweed however talented at their particular pastime are a couple of fat blokes who train down the pub, you might as well give the bloke who can eat 20 big macs in 5 mins a knighthood

i don't think you can compare they are completely different, Hoy or Redgrave they are "elite athletes" who have honed their skill with years of dedicated training, Phil Taylor & George Digweed however talented at their particular pastime are a couple of fat blokes who train down the pub, you might as well give the bloke who can eat 20 big macs in 5 mins a knighthood

Chrisjh yet again you prove that you cant fix stupid!!

Yep because you get as a good as George Digweed winning everything there is to win just on natural talent alone. You really are a pillock with a lot of your comments.......

So you don't think Taylor spends hours every day practising

You think Digweed just woke up one morning and was great......they have both "honed their skill with years of dedicated training"

Maybe it's the attitude of people like yourself who hold our sport and others back?

Ask Ed Solomons on here if he woke up one morning and was World Champion, I would think Ed has spent many years honing his talents to get where he is.......

:no:

I very rarely feel compelled to react to twaddle but you just take the biscuit. You obviously have no idea of the dedication it takes in shooting disciplines to achieve the level of skill displayed by our top shooters both technically and mentally. I'll leave it there because I'll get banned otherwise.

Clueless

I suspect if you were to ask Messrs Hoy and Redgrave their opinions they would differ radically from yours.

Digweed & Taylor or Ronnie O`Sullivan are all greats at their particular activity and will have practiced for a life time to hone a skill they were born with and that's brilliant and yes they need to be recognised, my point is they are not ATHLETES, they have a skill its a world of difference apologies if it offends but George D isn't an athlete he is a bloke who is a fantastic shot with a gun, Chris Hoy is in a completely different league he is not only fantastic on a bike but dedicated his life to a training regime for both his mind & body

Victoria Pendleton an Elite Athlete took on horse racing and within a year was competing on a level playing field only elite athletes can do that, ask George D to do any sort of "sport" and he would be in coronary care, he might be half decent at snooker or darts but that's not sport its a something you do down the pub, get real people just because we like to do something doesn't elevate it beyond its status, shooting is a pastime activity

on a separate note I think AH is a fantastic role model for young women & men with a skill that's been finely tuned but she isn't Jessica Ennis Hill not by a country mile that's why AH if she wins in Rio will get a mention but JEH will get the headlines and rightly so you cant compare, JEH is an Elite Athlete on a world stage and has finely tuned her mind & body over years AH has practiced over years to swing a gun and hit a clay that's a minority activity watched by a few people, I bet JEH if you gave her 6 months would give AH a run for her money on the clays but AH wouldn't get anywhere near not even remotely close to JEH on the track that my ill-informed numptys is the difference

Edited by chrisjh

Digweed & Taylor or Ronnie O`Sullivan are all greats at their particular activity and will have practiced for a life time to hone a skill they were born with and that's brilliant and yes they need to be recognised, my point is they are not ATHLETES, they have a skill its a world of difference apologies if it offends but George D isn't an athlete he is a bloke who is a fantastic shot with a gun, Chris Hoy is in a completely different league he is not only fantastic on a bike but dedicated his life to a training regime for both his mind & body

on a separate note I think AH is a fantastic role model for young women & men with a skill that's been finely tuned but she isn't Jessica Ennis Hill not by a country mile that's why AH if she wins in Rio will get a mention but JEH will get the headlines and rightly so you cant compare JEH is an Elite Athlete on a world stage and has finely tuned her mind & body over years AH has practiced over years to swing a gun and hit a clay that's a minority activity watched by a few people, I bet JEH if you gave her 6 months would give AH a run for her money on the clays but AH wouldn't get anywhere near JEH that is the difference

"A skill they were born with". That`s not really accurate is it? You can argue they were blessed with a certain amount of natural talent but then the same can be applied to most athletes. Top tier athletes have usually won the genetic lottery in some way or other whether it be an abundance of fast twitch muscle fibres or a ridiculously low heart rate. Whilst there`s no doubt those natural gifts have to be honed it`s also the same with the naturally talented. As the famous quote goes "the more I practice the luckier I get".

No one is going to argue that Redgrave isn`t a better athlete than Digweed, it`s obviously the case. However, it`s disrespectful to compare people who have spent a lifetime reaching extraordinary levels of skill with a guy who can eat a large amount of Big Macs.

As for JEH. Well she`s from my home town and I have a ton of respect and admiration for her. I`m sure in 6 months she`d likely become a decent shot. But I severely doubt she`d give AH a run for her money. If it were that easy there woud be a lot more people trying out for Olympic places.