bullet cam

hodge911

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of these recently: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181910873154

The 'gun mount' is pretty poor, I had to add quite a few layers of tape to make sure it wouldn't scratch the barrels; other than that, it does it job. At 720p60 I see the shot string for perhaps 3 frames -- which is enough to see where you were. Also, the angle is reasonably wide, so you can pick up issues like gun stop. I also already identified a pair of problems with my wife's shooting with it.

So all in all, with a bit of care, it's reasonably helpful! Definitely not the precision of the Shotkam thing, but it's 1/10th the price... Also, the Shotkam field if view is quite narrow, so wouldn't necessarily pick placement issues.

Apologies, I misunderstood what was meant by the "bullet cam". Thought the OP was after an alternative to a spotting scope!

That link you posted buze looks like a really handy bit of kit for correcting swing or aim point.

Actually I was reviewing videos we did on saturday, and yes, it does show quite a few things. One thing it shows for example is that shooting Skeet with my full+extra full requires more precision than I currently have; basically my pattern seems to be the size of a dinner plate at that distance :-)

But I already noticed a few things, and a few other quite important ones when my wife is shooting too. For example, we now know she's watching the trap, instead of waiting for the clay; so her gun moves /slightly/ backward before moving forward. Also picks up cases of 'pointing' the gun, or wrong pickup point.

Very interesting!

Actually I was reviewing videos we did on saturday, and yes, it does show quite a few things. One thing it shows for example is that shooting Skeet with my full+extra full requires more precision than I currently have; basically my pattern seems to be the size of a dinner plate at that distance :-)

But I already noticed a few things, and a few other quite important ones when my wife is shooting too. For example, we now know she's watching the trap, instead of waiting for the clay; so her gun moves /slightly/ backward before moving forward. Also picks up cases of 'pointing' the gun, or wrong pickup point.

Very interesting!

Coincidentally I started a similar curiosity post elsewhere on this forum as my performance has deteriorated and I was looking at how to identify what is going wrong.

Very interested in the kit you identified. A quick Q before purchase. How do you view what has happened? Does it plug into a computer? Or, is there a card and do you need other bits like a card reader etc? Thanks.

Coincidentally I started a similar curiosity post elsewhere on this forum as my performance has deteriorated and I was looking at how to identify what is going wrong.

Very interested in the kit you identified. A quick Q before purchase. How do you view what has happened? Does it plug into a computer? Or, is there a card and do you need other bits like a card reader etc? Thanks.

Yes it's like most other action cams; you put a micro-sd card in it, and you can either remove the card to read the files, or just plug the camera to the computer and read the files back. They appear as (by default) 3 minutes movie files of 'reasonable' quality.There are various ways of changing settings using a file you copy on the SD card, but quite frankly, I haven't bothered.

If you get one, be wary of the 'gun mount' -- it's pretty much useless as it comes, and needs a bit of doctoring. I added like 4 or 5 layers of tape on the inside to protect the barrel and also provide a better grip than the metal-metal...

Also, I don't see /every/ shot strings, sometime it's obscured by smoke and/or wad as we were shooting fiber, it might be a bit better with plastic wads...

Yes, it looks like it it. Doesn't come with the 'gun mount' tho, so you will have to improvise something...

Seems that camera module has done the rounds for a few years. Can't complain tho, it /does/ help, if you are picky... don't expect miracles, but then again I wouldn't expect miracles of the real £££ shotkam either...