Stupid game.

activeviii

out this evening again,i only do a few hours at a time now, anyway. We are sat there happily taking the pee out of missed shots when these 3 birds are spotted on approach. my friend puts the pressure on and says nice triple on the cards there.

birds 30 yards out with the first bird setting into the pattern and the other two about to do the same. up with the U2, back bird on the bead, bang, swing to the next click, on to the next thats just got up and leaving the pattern, click. all three, in my head they are dead. just wish i have loaded the blimming other two cartridges in.

you just know when it was going to go right.

Stupid game, my friend is calling me names, im calling me names. all forgotten about when the next pair come in and he misses on first shot, connects with second and the click on the third. yep. he only loaded 2.

still nice little 3 hours for 52 dead in the pattern. 92 cartridges used if we dont count the clicks.

Not been doing much JD so not much to write about. All my Pigeon shooting is now 2-3hrs at a time. I had 3 hours out on standing barley that the birds just started to get on top of. 2 in the hide shot like it was going out of fashion. 152 on the clicker plus 20 corvids. 30 picked up as no point damaging more crop.

Another little 50 for 2 hours on peas last week then it all went nipples up and I couldn't hit the barn door. I gave up and phoned a friend. Worth the call as I just sat there lighting at him missing as bad as I was.

Then this evening is all came together again when I remembered to load the darn gun.

Taking another friend out tomorrow for a couple hours on a nice little patch so I might have to take the o/u so I remember how many carts are in the hole.

It's all for fun. I have stopped taking it so seriously now

Thanks 7. it didnt go to well yesterday either lmao

I took another novice out yesterday afternoon but i think it was wrong way around and i was the novice and shot like one. ok, in my defence i was using the new Fabarm Axis, 34" barrels and 16.5"lop long swinging gun, great for keeping up with the faster birds and they knew it, but the hand wavers in the pattern! forget it. i missed every single on. Bad Bad day. heads down in shame.

Got to a field of wheat where i could see a number of birds gritting on the driveway. watched for 15minutes and went with my gut and walked the distance up the tramlines to the far end. this has proven great success over the years, i know where they like to be and the angles they normally come from but wild animals always know best.

modified pinewood rotory out in a tramline, not laid wheat anywhere but birds trying to get in while i was setting up so the promise was there. the rotory spinning just over the crop height. 3 half flocks on either side on the long wobble sticks so just on top of crop.

back in the hides. nick wasnt ready so two carts in the fabarm and started with a nice left and right. happy days, here we go i thought. WRONG! after the first 10 birds or so i was missing badly, birds couldnt commit due to no landing spot so it was all fast left and rights. had a shuffle of pattern and a few tried to get it which was what i was after. as long as they try it will slow them down enough for a little easier shooting.

nick was having a good go at them but being he does very very little on the shotgun he was having a hard time of it. i think he gets out once a year or there abouts. still, he was enjoying being out and away from the rat race so all good in his mind.

the pattern that was available to set was hard work, meter high crop and wind from right to left. in the end i gave up, bought the shells in, pulled the magnet in 5 yards closer and put 2 floaters in the crop and 2 angels out in the tramlines. then left the first few birds alone to watch there reaction. boff, straight into the tramlines with no hesitation. that will do i thought.

well, Nick had a great time of it. banging away at the sky, loved every minute of it, i was sort of right behind him but missing like a junkie with a blunt needle. still, i have had it good over the weeks so im not complaining much, honest.

well, we gave it 5 hours. i was ready to call it after 3 hours but its about the guest and not so much me, plus the long walk back to the car was made easier due to only picking up 21 birds, not carts left and all fluid drained so easier walk back that there.

i think it was 300 carts for 88 clicked birds. as soon as i have finished this brick of trust (SGC) smokers i will change back to the hull superfasts as im getting the feathers but not the bird. i switch last week to 3/4 just to try and give the bird more lead and it worked well but in the fabarm i left the 1/4 and 1/2 in and left the rest at home. another stupid from me.

i will not work the dogs in this heat and there is no point in trampling crop just to pick up bird, sort of defeats the plan really so the 20 birds we pick were out the tramline. the rest will rot out in 2 weeks so the combine will have little problem.

still it was a day out upsetting the flying wildlife. got nick out from the daily grind and the farmer was in the jcb watching us so all good, i think thats what this game is all about. good laughts, good company and helping friend and farmers out.

i have a few more days on this place before wheat is cut but rape is next week. my good friend and stalking pattern will be loving me again but i need to get a couple others out this year to as i didnt sort for them last year due to illness. so if your looking charlie and fal, soon guys, soon.

out this evening again,i only do a few hours at a time now, anyway. We are sat there happily taking the pee out of missed shots when these 3 birds are spotted on approach. my friend puts the pressure on and says nice triple on the cards there.

birds 30 yards out with the first bird setting into the pattern and the other two about to do the same. up with the U2, back bird on the bead, bang, swing to the next click, on to the next thats just got up and leaving the pattern, click. all three, in my head they are dead. just wish i have loaded the blimming other two cartridges in.

you just know when it was going to go right.

Stupid game, my friend is calling me names, im calling me names. all forgotten about when the next pair come in and he misses on first shot, connects with second and the click on the third. yep. he only loaded 2.

still nice little 3 hours for 52 dead in the pattern. 92 cartridges used if we dont count the clicks.

Well Mr Activiii, i am shocked!!!

.......... You have friends :lol:

I have also pulled the trigger on a no cartridge in the chamber,,,,,, I bet most have if they are honest

I have also pulled the trigger on a no cartridge in the chamber,,,,,, I bet most have if they are honest

I have a couple of very good friends, the rest are just acquaintances.

they say the average friendship lasts about 5 years. how long have i known you, 4 years, 11 months and 29 days was it?

lol.

Popped out again today at 3pm back home by 6:15pm. Was pleasing myself for once and didnt give out an invite.

Glad really as today with the wind mad for my favourite sort of pigeon shooting. high, fast birds, that you really need to be on the ball with. the Urika 2 with 3/4 extended teague choke making pillow fights out of many birds

one modified pinewood magnet out 40 yards and nothing else. spinning as fast as she can out above standing durum wheat.

only 100 cartridges but still 58 to the clicker. if i didnt see or hear then drop then they didnt get on the score board. high hedge behind me with high beans so no chance of finding them. dogs not working in this wheat as not fair on them so was happy putting 36 in the chiller and giving the wild life their share.

You would have shot more if you weren't texting so much :lol:

Did you like my "view from the train" pic?

i think i would have had a better ratio as i was talking to 4 people at the time. sorting out with my good old friends girl friend to get her out on the pigeons soon. i promised her i would when she lost lewis to a stroke at the age of 34 two years ago. im leaving my gun at home that day as she can shoot well.

i couldnt see the photo to well as i have old *** eyes.

add me to the list too. Stand there for 30 seconds pointing the gun at the ground, open it up, only to find nothing in there.

Done it with the SxS, the O/U and the rifles at some point !

Sounds like you've had a good time Phil. I might have had a laugh at the cartridge issues but I can't talk as recently after a 2 hour stalk, I finally got close enough to my quarry only to have the rifle go "click" on an empty chamber. It helps to load bullets if you want to shoot a deer! Needless to say it ran off and I laughed it off. You're right not to take it too seriously....once you stop having fun, it's time to stop I reckon.