cost to have a car transported 140 miles

four-wheel-drive

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Senario:

You have your insured car sat on your drive, the mot and tax run out on the same day, you take it for the mot the next day, pass then tax it; legal?

Yes!

Exact same thing.

Its really quite simple, the goverment cannot force you to not use the mot station of your choice, doesnt matter a jot if its 30 yards up the road or 300 miles away

FACT

I have been stopped twice on one of these trips, they have phoned my chosen mot both times and then im on my merry way...

I dont see how anyone is confused about this?

Edited by LowStandards

I think Low Standards is right about this. My Pajero failed its MOT last wednesday for 1 ball joint and 3 poor tyres. Took it to a local garage friday (booked in) and taking it for the tyres monday again booked in. Both trips legal even the it has no MOT untill retest.

Not confused, Fact,

The scenario you suggest has you as the registered owner, the case in point has a non registered owner, different scenario Fact.

Buyer, attempting to drive a vehicle home on the public roads without tax or mot, I presume it would have been insured,

You are trying to pull a fast one, plod would see it a mile off !

Being the registered owner is the salient point here.

You have purchased the car, you have the green slip, you are the registered owner FACT

You insurance has zero to do with tax or mot, quite the oposite, you need insurance to tax the car, not the other way round...

I suggest you toddle off the the dvla or any police forum or go and ask your local copper, there is no set distance to take an mot

FACT

Are we done now or do i have to say the same thing over and over again?

I guess thats a no, you cant be ***** to go and actually find the facts right?

You own the car (even if its literally from 30 seconds ago) - Fact

Youve insured the car (day insurance, added to policy, allowed to drive) - Fact

You have it booked in for an mot (because you can drive an un-mot'd, un-taxed car in this situation) - Fact

Are we done, i think we're done...

I believe Low standards is correct in his assumptions, and I'm not arguing the point. However, the vehicle in question failed an mot on tyres and brakes, until these are attended to the vehicle isn't roadworthy and that's the plain and simple truth. Is it worth removing all the wheels and getting new tyres fitted, then attending to the brakes, on someone else's drive miles from home, under the assumption the rest of the vehicle is sound?

In my opinion just pay the £150 to get it back then repair it properly.

My thinking on this one is that if there was a serious accident, enough for vosa to check the cars history (and they will) then driving it after a fail with no independent paperwork of repair would land you in rather deep mire. You would be in it up to your neck. Once home and repaired for mot then a local station would be acceptable, I just can't see vosa / courts accepting you needed to drive a non mot'd vehicle 70 or 80 miles to mot, legal or not.

Pay the dollars and have no hassle :good:

Thing is there is no legal requirement to check the most history, for all you know it's not been for one, but again, satisfy yourself it has tyres and the wheels are bolted on ;p

As for the distance thing, it's law, so they couldn't do a thing about it, you'd get the same penalities you would driving it a mile away...

Useful loophole, but always nice when you arrive home...

As an aside I'd worry it's failed an mot and they are just flogging it, a set of part worns at £15 a pop and £20 on pads would see it passed and worth a whole lot more money, still I guess some folk are just lazy...

Thing is there is no legal requirement to check the most history, for all you know it's not been for one, but again, satisfy yourself it has tyres and the wheels are bolted on ;p

As for the distance thing, it's law, so they couldn't do a thing about it, you'd get the same penalities you would driving it a mile away...

Useful loophole, but always nice when you arrive home...

As an aside I'd worry it's failed an mot and they are just flogging it, a set of part worns at £15 a pop and £20 on pads would see it passed and worth a whole lot more money, still I guess some folk are just lazy...

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one :yes: Just as a matter of curiosity, are you younger than me (63 this year) ?

Low standards is right on this one but, and it is a big but you can and will be prosecuted if the vehicle is not in a road worthy condition. If you replaced the tyres and had a look over the car and you were satisfied it was good to go then I also would drive it away. The brakes are a tricky one if they are good enough to stop you then that's ok as you don't have any other way of checking them till you strip it down.

Low standards is right on this one but, and it is a big but you can and will be prosecuted if the vehicle is not in a road worthy condition. If you replaced the tyres and had a look over the car and you were satisfied it was good to go then I also would drive it away. The brakes are a tricky one if they are good enough to stop you then that's ok as you don't have any other way of checking them till you strip it down.

We need to see the wording on the fail sheet.

You've also got to remember if you are stopped they won't be able to do an mot test, same as if you were stopped normally. So if it failed on a knocking ball joint I'd be 1000% happy to drive it home, hope that makes sense, same if it failed it's test on brake imbalance or low pads

We need to see the wording on the fail sheet.

You've also got to remember if you are stopped they won't be able to do an mot test, same as if you were stopped normally. So if it failed on a knocking ball joint I'd be 1000% happy to drive it home, hope that makes sense, same if it failed it's test on brake imbalance or low pads

Agree totally, I took my brothers Evo 8 for mot last week it ran out day before so phoned booked it in and all sorted that simple. Also taking my nieces Peugeot 106 for test tomorrow its been off the road for 5 months so no tax or mot but is insured, my insurance covers me to drive aoc so won't be a problem there either.

I'm 35 mate, mortgage and kids and a good Job I wouldn't risk anything for

It's the law, it's not an interpretation, so I would see by anyone would be wary of it.

Thought so :yes: Now I don't know if it's advancing years that makes the older one's more cautious, or having no kids at home or mortgage so not so fussed about £150 but there's definitely a big difference of opinion between us "old uns" and you young whipper snappers :lol:

As I said, we'll never agree on this one :no: But it doesn't really matter anyway, because neither of us have bought the vehicle in question :lol:

Damn 3 pages, kinda took over this one didn't we

To recap

It should be about a quid a mile one way for a transporter (I've not had one for 2ish years) or the cost of a train ticket and fuel if you drive it

Lastly, beware of shiply, I'd suggest 90% of folks on there just own a low loader, not the relevant insurances etc

You misunderstood my good fellow

Book it in for an mot close to home.

Go and pick it up and as you are going for an mot you can legally drive it (insurance of course)

Take it home, ring mot place and cancel

Done...

Whilst the law may not state the distance involved, I don't think your insurance would cover you. Okay if you get away with it, but if you are involved in an accident, I believe you could kiss goodbye to your cover.

Insurance companies are not stupid - look at last keeper, look at where you live, look at MOT station. It's not rocket science.

If you were involved in a fatality, a bloke on the internet told me it was 100% legal wouldn't quite hack it.

Insurance does not become invalid with no tax or mot, it may if you are fully comp drop to third party only which makes sense. But they cannot remove your liabilty

Again, law

Vehicle has to be in roadworthy condition to be covered driving on the public highway I believe?

The insurance company will know that you have covered more than the minimum distance to have the car MOT'd. As for them being unable to remove your cover or refuse to pay a claim, I think they would do it at the drop of a hat.

They would contend that if you were in any doubt, you should have checked with them first. If you were in no doubt, they might think that your cavalier attitude was a deliberate ploy. They would be right.

But there is no minimum distance, or maximum, by law, so they cant.

I dont have a cavalier attitude, i am abiding by the law, something i imagine you do?

You are merely straw clutching. It is legal and the liability side of your insurance cannot be revoked

You can come up with as many what ifs, but at the end of the day there is no maximum distance set by law to take a car for an mot.

If you make reasonable procautions to be road legal, tyres and lights you are set