New permission... no rabbits :(

iano

Got a golf course as a new permission. Went out last week to scope the place out, saw 7 bunnies.

Went out this morning with the gun for the first time; groundstaff were out with their mowers.

Saw three bunnies; two were shy and bolted before I got near them, the last moved before I could take the shot.

Went out this evening after 9, had to hang round for about 30 mins as still some golfers out.

Saw two rabbits pretty much after walking on top of them. They ran, wasn't set up to shoot them.

I think I know now where they congregate, so will try getting there earlier in the morning (5.00am) next week and see what happens.

Little bit annoyed as the ones I saw on the first day without the gun, you could walk up to and club. These ones were a lot shyer and my stalking needs improvement.

can be difficult to stalk bunters on golf courses due to lack of cover, especially if you using air rifle and range is limited. i have always had my most productive times on golf courses by lamp on gun, you can get at them as them as they move into the rough. get out with the lamp that will give you a good indicator of how the rabbit population is.

atb

7diaw

As above, courses are wide open in places, best done with a lamp, or NV, or a combination of both. Bunnies tend to scarper less when a mower, golf cart or other course vehicle is used because there is no leg movement - and its not sneaking about. A small 4WD is ideal if you can get permission for that transport and do not drive on the greens.

Most green keepers will want the job done after dark so golfers don't see it. Whilst some members will realise the benefits of bunny control others will enjoy the sight of wildlife as they enjoy their outdoor exercise, and some just don't want to see Rambo lurking with a rifle. The club will not want any members feeling uncomfortable, especially if the bunnies are as rare as you suggest.

If bunnies are lamp shy its likely someone else shoots there already - legally or otherwise: Maybe try a spotter to locate and get into position and lamp on when ready to shoot. You'll need to be trying something the other guy doesn't.

Thanks guy. Using a 22, with the ones I almost stepped on, the ground is quite undulating and they were in hollows.

I have use of a golf buggy, so can try that next time. That didn't seem to spook them when I went out without the gun before.

Haven't lamped before, might ask a mate who does it to come along with me.