Bore cleaner

Butches bore shine, g96 and wipe in wipe out with accelerator. They are listed best first. All worked best with a nylon brush and a good scrub. Apparently k something or other is extremely good as is foresters bore foam,never tried tho. I like my bores as clean as I can get.

Butches bore shine, g96 and wipe in wipe out with accelerator. They are listed best first. All worked best with a nylon brush and a good scrub. Apparently k something or other is extremely good as is foresters bore foam,never tried tho. I like my bores as clean as I can get.

Forresters bore foam is one that I was thinking of. Thanks. :good:

Many products like Wipe Out even with the accelerator are great on copper and carbon they do not dissolve lead.

I had reason to clean an old .22rf for someone recently that had not been cleaned of lead in over 30 years. In the end, I bought some Wipe-out No Lead, it was magical and dissolved the lead, enabling me to patch it out rather than scrubbing like a lunatic.

It's expensive, but really works. See here http://www.dauntseyguns.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=WNL-900&cat=19000

Forgot to add that Forrest bore foam is designed for use on jacketed bullets, ie copper remover, it is not a lead cleaner. http://www.milfoam.co.uk/Forrest%20foam%20statements.pdf

Edited by CharlieT

Whats the kg12 like on its own.

Signs of copper removal are pretty good.

My method normally starts off with foam if I've had a day at Catton or garlands on a shoot day. I only have about 20 with my foxing rifles but still foam before I leave so there soaking for a while. With the 260 pretty much the same really. If out foxing I don't tend to clean if I've just had the odd 1 or 2 shots.

For CF where lead fouling is seldom an issue, Wipeout (patchout) is the best I've used, next to M-Pro 7. Both products are Ammonia free and both purport to condition the barrel as well as to clean it. I've heard good reports about Butches Bore Shine too. For lead fouling, as CharlieT says above, Wipeout No Lead seems to be an excellent product.

Wipeout products aren't cheap but they last a long time and to my mind, do a better job of stripping fouling from rifling without the need to scrub (hence reducing risks of damaging the bore). I wouldn't use anything else now I've tried it. I don't bother with the accelerator. The secret when using Wipeout (patchout) is to apply several patches, liberally soaked with the solution, and leave for at least an hour or two. To avoid false readings (ie blueing of the patches), always rinse your brass jags in clean water and dry before patching through with dry patches. Black residue is powder residue and blue staining is copper which has been removed. For a badly fouled bore, I occasionally use a nylon scrubbing brush too.

Edited by Savhmr

For CF where lead fouling is seldom an issue, Wipeout (patchout) is the best I've used, next to M-Pro 7. Both products are Ammonia free and both purport to condition the barrel as well as to clean it. I've heard good reports about Butches Bore Shine too. For lead fouling, as CharlieT says above, Wipeout No Lead seems to be an excellent product.

Wipeout products aren't cheap but they last a long time and to my mind, do a better job of stripping fouling from rifling without the need to scrub (hence reducing risks of damaging the bore). I wouldn't use anything else now I've tried it. I don't bother with the accelerator. The secret when using Wipeout (patchout) is to apply several patches, liberally soaked with the solution, and leave for at least an hour or two. To avoid false readings (ie blueing of the patches), always rinse your brass jags in clean water and dry before patching through with dry patches. Black residue is powder residue and blue staining is copper which has been removed. For a badly fouled bore, I occasionally use a nylon scrubbing brush too.

The main rifle I want to clean is my .22 Hornet. Bullets are copper coated, but I just want to clean the barrel and start reloading for it again.

No expert on clearing lead from rifle barrels but I notice the term 'dissolve' used when talking about products for cleaning rifle bores, its my understanding that to dissolve lead you need some very strong acids or is it just general dirt you are talking about?

I found the wipe in and out stuff wasn't as good as g96 or butches bore shine. It also leaves a sticky residue behind.

Never found any sticky residue in mine after cleaning with Wipeout. In fact it leaves the bore very clean and residue-free. Butch's Bore Shine I believe was invented by Charles L."Butch" Fisher, a man who knew a thing or two about rifle accuracy and cleaning. He has an excellent synopsis of a recommended cleaning regime within Chapter 10 of the Lyman 49th Edition. Those perhaps who don't believe in cleaning their bores might be interested in that narrative written by "Butch". Whilst it may not make you change your minds, he does make some very compelling points worth considering and also has some useful hints and tips on how to clean a rifle bore properly (although, personally, I don't often use any brass brushes as he suggests we ought).