Yildiz tk36 410

bang bang birdy

What age/build is he, as the Yildiz is too light (3.5lb) for practical purposes (i.e. 3 inch loads 18/19g)?

I started with a SxS hammer folding 410 (4.5lbs) at 8 years but by 12 years old had graduated to a Baikal SxS 12 bore (7lb).

The 20b and the 12 are not that much heavier (5lb), just keep the cartridges to 21g 7.5, until he can handle more.

There is a second hand BSA branded one on Gunwatch for less than £100, plus others.

The Yildiz 410 can come with less than full choke, so if buying new, don't let shop/dealer fob you off with 'they only come in full choke', same with Baikal (which is similar gun) for very similar money.

Have a word with wabbitbosher off of this forum and see what he has in stock and keep an eye on Gunwatch.

Always a difficult decision to make because these kids grow two inches whilst your back is turned :-)

I have always been doubtful about starting a youngster on a 410 because they invariably came with a very tight full choke. I know because the Parker Hale converted job I had for my birthday back in 1952 was just that and apart from static rabbits, I couldn't hit a thing. Now of course we have the interchangeable chokes and so a wider pattern can be had giving youngster a chance to actually see a clay break or bird fall, so I would spend a bit of time looking for one with interchangeable chokes. If you shorten the stock use a fine saw and keep the piece to put back on later. Yilditz do (I believe) youth models. I shoot a 410 of that make and so far after a full season and some pigeon/crow shooting have been very pleased with it.

they come with a selection of chokes as well.

The problem is he could get very demoralised if he doesn't see results and could lose interest if he can't hit anything. Take your time making the decision.

PM me...... I have an idea !!!

What length do you shorten the barrel to?

It is very long for the spawn.

Can I also have details for the comb raiser please?

Shorten barrel = cut choke off gun, gets rid of full choke (which a lot are due to poorly informed choices), but they might be longish but not heavy or awkward to shoot, but going back to cyl does improve short range patterns but then limits the gun to 25 yards.

the shortest recommended to 24.5 inches (so 3.5 cut off a 28 inch barrel), comb raiser by bisley or beretta

I bought one of these for my lad (7) and think it's worked out pretty well. Bought directly from the importer, Entwistle Guns, and they were kind enough to cut the stock down for us (11" LOP) resize the pad and give us the offcut to put back on as he grows.

Had thought about a 28g semi-auto to keep recoil low, but the 410 with 2" 9 gram cartridges doesn't beat him up (he'll happily get through between one and two boxes) and still produces good breaks, albeit there are obviously some limits on the types of targets it makes sense to put in front of him. He never complains if he has a run of misses but there is always going to be a part of me that wonders if he would have been better served by waiting until he could wield something bigger.

He'll probably only use it for a year or two but for the price it's really difficult to go far wrong as an introductory gun for a child of that age.

Just like driving instruction, however good a shot you may be, please consider hireing a expert coach for a few lessons for him first.

Very often parents do not make good teachers for first timers;but expert coaches will have the right gun and patience to guide them onto hitting the clay