More on the proposed EU gun ban

Scully

Normal magazines will almost certainly be subject to the same controls as primers, in that you’ll have to show your FAC before buying them at a shop. With so many hundreds of thousands of them out there already, this won’t affect the UK in any meaningful way; the private sales market will prosper considerably. However, the EU Parliament plan will ban hunters from being able to use standard capacity magazines in non-22 firearms – including shotguns

A little confusing. Is he trying to say that when (as it will) my T3 mag needs replacing as the plastic wears, I'll need the replacement entered on my FAC (and presumably FACs will need wording to something like "bolt action rifle with 5 shot magazine" or similar?). All a bit confusing and all a bit of a dog's dinner. The whole thing is a knee jerk reaction to terrorist incidents, but it all seems utterly pointless and meaningless to control law abiding shooters. Hasn't anyone told the EU that terrorists don't tend to apply for licences and don't tend to acquire guns legally, so none of this will have any effect on terrorist risk?

I also still don't understand why some of our shooting organisations seem to be in favour of these additional controls, or at least not concerned about fighting against their introduction.

Edited by Savhmr

"However, the EU Parliament plan will ban hunters from being able to use standard capacity magazines in non-22 firearms – including shotguns"

For a shotgun, what exactly is 'standard capacity'? Is a 2 cartridge capacity magazine on a section 2 semi-auto classed as 'standard capacity'?

I sincerely hope not......

*** we are out of EU ain't we

Not yet but it cannot come quick enough.

Just totally fed up with non elected and elected members of parliament of any colour or type

Imposing their own personal view on who or what firearms the law abiding are allowed to own just because they don't like guns.

It is highly likely that we will be the last generation to enjoy shooting in all its current forms, which is already significantly reduced from the days of pistol and semi auto rifle days.

We urgently need one united and powerful body representing shooting in this country not the many, basc,cpsa, nra, nsra etc all with their only little agendas and I am all wright jack attitude.

Divided we lose.

As an aside, and as an indication of how meaningless the handgun ban of 1997 really was, the number of pistols currently legally owned in this country by individual, now stands at two thirds of the numbers held prior to the ban, at 16,367.
But we all know the ban wasn't about guns....was it Major Blair?

Edited by Scully

"However, the EU Parliament plan will ban hunters from being able to use standard capacity magazines in non-22 firearms – including shotguns"

For a shotgun, what exactly is 'standard capacity'? Is a 2 cartridge capacity magazine on a section 2 semi-auto classed as 'standard capacity'?

I sincerely hope not......

My understanding is that if the shotgun has a fixed magazine then it's okay but if it's detachable then there's going to be a problem as they don't differentiate between shotgun and rifle centrefire.

I have just one question: if this comes into power and the next terrorist attack happens afterwards with an already (now) banned firearm, what's next? All the lawmakers will put up their arms into the air and say sorry, we messed (would use a stronger word, but not allowed) up again, or there gonna be another, even more restrictive ban (which effects only legal gun ownership)? If You are a terrorist, You don't care about the law... Why don't they get this? Or is there another, hidden agenda behind this? (Banning civilian gun ownership eventually, called salami tactic? ). I think I know the answer.

Not yet but it cannot come quick enough.

Just totally fed up with non elected and elected members of parliament of any colour or type

Imposing their own personal view on who or what firearms the law abiding are allowed to own just because they don't like guns.

It is highly likely that we will be the last generation to enjoy shooting in all its current forms, which is already significantly reduced from the days of pistol and semi auto rifle days.

We urgently need one united and powerful body representing shooting in this country not the many, basc,cpsa, nra, nsra etc all with their only little agendas and I am all wright jack attitude.

Divided we lose.

I totally agree one organisation, more members,more money and more Clout!

The same applies to other issues. Hammer the law abiding. Air rage/drunks etc on aircraft in the news recently and now they are going to stop me having a glass of wine or a beer with a meal while waiting for my flight. Close all bars etc etc., instead of banning the offenders from flying for ten years and fining them £1000 or two years in nick, no ifs no buts. BUt, it's much easier to frame some overall law and say look how we have done well. The pistol ban after Dunblane, similar. The Scottish Police fowled up, failed and one senior officer issued the license after his investigating officers had recommended withdrawing the FAC. " I know this man better than most " I believe where his words and promptly retired.

Must take another tablet :-(