Freelander 2

Cosd

My wife wants to get a Freelander 2 auto diesel.

We've looked at all the alternatives (similar type options) and she really wants one of these. I've been doing some reading and they seem like good cars.

She does very little mileage, and we really don't spend a lot of money on cars, we tend to keep them a while. Her last car was a 2000 plate BMW 318 CI auto. We bought it from her brother when the car was 5 years old and 50k miles on the clock, we just sold it with 79k miles.

I believe the Freelander 2 had a facelift in 2011, should I opt for 2011 onwards with higher mileage or 2009/2010 with less miles? In my mind I don't mind getting a slightly higher mileage car and hopefully newer, but not sure what to do.

Does anyone have any experience with these to offer any advice please?

Two thumbs up for the Freelander2 from me.

I've a 2009 HSE Auto which I've had since April 2013, done nearly 60k miles in that time and odometer is now at 104k. Other than routine services and replacements (tyres, brakes, wipers etc) only one or two very minor issues that didn't cost the earth to fix. Highly recommended.

Mr Potter

I'm on my third FL2 launch model was let's say less than good with lots of trips back to the dealer then I swapped for a HSE auto 2009 and that was great and kept for 5 years and now on a 2014 HSE Lux auto with the facelift

I'd say they have ironed out most of the niggles over the life of the FL2 I would look towards a higher mileage newer car myself due to you lower mileage use

I had a 2008 freelander 2 se. when I bought it I had nothing but trubble. In 3 years and only 8,000 miles later had 3 new clutches fitted. new steering rack, power steering pump, power steering oil resivour, new discs and pads front and back, wheel arche linners all round, new hydrolic breaking module, new reversing sensors, new electric door window modules all round, electric sunroof faults, rear boot locking fault.

total amounting to over £5,500, only £3,000 was covered by warranty.

This whole nightmare put my off from ever owning a land rover ever again. build quality very poor, customer service was the worst I have ever had from anywhere.

I had a 2008 freelander 2 se. when I bought it I had nothing but trubble. In 3 years and only 8,000 miles later had 3 new clutches fitted. new steering rack, power steering pump, power steering oil resivour, new discs and pads front and back, wheel arche linners all round, new hydrolic breaking module, new reversing sensors, new electric door window modules all round, electric sunroof faults, rear boot locking fault.

total amounting to over £5,500, only £3,000 was covered by warranty.

This whole nightmare put my off from ever owning a land rover ever again. build quality very poor, customer service was the worst I have ever had from anywhere.

Thats almost a new car!!! Where and what did you drive it through.... Ive had a 2011 fl2 for 18 months and only thing i dont like is the plastic heater vent handles.. Break far to easily.. Other than that, I used it last season with road tyres in muddy fields and farm tracks etc with ease.

As a run about it would be fine and has enough boot space for 6000 boxed cartridges, in slabs of 250(new year ckay shoot was fun)

12 reg SD4 GS auto here, great all-rounder, comfortable, capable (limited) off road and not too thirsty.

The SD4 engine, 190HP, goes like the brown stuff off a shovel!

There was another face lift around '13 or '14. Personally I prefer the older one, the touch screen satnav/radio in the newer version is a nightmare to operate although doubtless you get used to it.

Mine came with a "proper" spare, jack, etc.

Mine is a '08 GS TD4. Bought new, it's served me well. Apart from the usual tyres/brakes/bulbs, I have only recently had to pay out for a broken fuel flap switch and door mechanism. I use it mainly on road but also off road which is dirt/mud tracks and rough ground. I fitted General Grabber AT2's which are excellent off road, and give good grip on 'normal' roads.

• 3 weeks later...