Ball valve thread info please .

TONY R

Out building used to be half the old house it was originaly built in 1840, it has an old Galvanised cold water tank in it, this is utilised for the central heating system, the ball valve has been playing up for a long time now every now and then had to jump up in the loft and lift the valve up, a old mate did replace the internals of the existing ball valve about 9 years ago, but now its well and truly gone and i had to turn off the stop cock.

I got bored Fetching water from the house for cups of tea for the lads etc, So i got a guy in who has done bits for us in the past and always been pretty good, he removed the Threaded Joint which is on to a lead pipe so not easy to swap with out a plummer, He said the thread on the valve looked different to what was on the new valve, yet i just rung a mate up who is a pro plumber but 90 miles away from me who says it will be the same thread, So i ring back this lad up here he is adamant its wrong. :unhappy:

Now i cant decide if he just does not want to do the job or if he is Genuine, as i said hes dont stuff for me before and been just fine, but ive lost a bit of confidence in him now, and want to get the job done myself, im flat out busy at the moment dont want a long saga with this fitting, can any old plumbers give advice as steve just not got the years to have seen an old fitting What threads did ball valves have any educated guesses welcome here please im up against it a bit on this.

What threads exist for these valves please. ?

Well i did it . :unhappy: It was Half inch BSP but reason he wanted to bail was he had cracked the copper pipe flush with the Nut on the fitting and i dont think he was up to soldering in a new pipe.

I have to admit soldering into the old lead pipe was not something i am too sure i would be sucsesfull with given the age state etc of the old pipe, but I managed to cut the nut off the pipe and clean up the end there was enough left out of the lead to get the olive and nut on ok, i had more of a problem betting the old valve body out of the tank, tank is old oxidised and thin around the valve hole.

I had to cut the valve off as close as i could to the tank used an air saw and two air hoses to reach up the loft, the nut was thin enough then to come off, Trying to undo that siesed nut i was scared it would buckle the old galved tank, so went the safest option if a bit long winded.

Cut two 4mm steel plates cleaned up the tank both inside and out with a linising disk and drilled the plates and sikoflexed then either side of the valve just to tyr re enforce it a bit, Slapped the new valve in coupled up the pipe switched the water back on job done. :yes:

It will do for now but im going to replace it with a new tank eventualy but i think ill have to replace all the lead running to it, it wants doing im just a cheap skate yorkshireman whos boots squeak whe he walks. :lol:

Thanks all PW does it yet again. :yes:

not supposed to solder on to lead now days.use proper lead to copper joint (leadlock)fitting.

I bought one of them a few years ago maybe 8 a biggish one for a cylinder fitting at my dads old place, it was sillyt money i cant remember exact price now but at the time it stung i can remember that.

Like i said above i think i need to rip out this lead in the not too distant and get it in an easy maintainable condition,.

Well i did it . :unhappy: It was Half inch BSP but reason he wanted to bail was he had cracked the copper pipe flush with the Nut on the fitting and i dont think he was up to soldering in a new pipe.

I have to admit soldering into the old lead pipe was not something i am too sure i would be sucsesfull with given the age state etc of the old pipe, but I managed to cut the nut off the pipe and clean up the end there was enough left out of the lead to get the olive and nut on ok, i had more of a problem betting the old valve body out of the tank, tank is old oxidised and thin around the valve hole.

I had to cut the valve off as close as i could to the tank used an air saw and two air hoses to reach up the loft, the nut was thin enough then to come off, Trying to undo that siesed nut i was scared it would buckle the old galved tank, so went the safest option if a bit long winded.

Cut two 4mm steel plates cleaned up the tank both inside and out with a linising disk and drilled the plates and sikoflexed then either side of the valve just to tyr re enforce it a bit, Slapped the new valve in coupled up the pipe switched the water back on job done. :yes:

It will do for now but im going to replace it with a new tank eventualy but i think ill have to replace all the lead running to it, it wants doing im just a cheap skate yorkshireman whos boots squeak whe he walks. :lol:

Thanks all PW does it yet again. :yes:

A Yorkshireman using Sikaflex :/ What's the matter with Tiger seal at a quarter of the price :yes:

:lol: :lol:

A Yorkshireman using Sikaflex :/ What's the matter with Tiger seal at a quarter of the price :yes:

:lol: :lol:

Aint that true rod. :lol: Were just posers you know i wear blue overalls and do atheletics on my back gate looking up the valley at dusk too. Its amaising :lol:

Edited by TONY R

It's almost always easier and better to leave the threaded part that goes through the tank in place and undo the nut to the valve body and swap in the new one. Saves messing about with dodgy fragile old connections completely. Experience is expensive though. ;)

I am low on experience sadly but we got the job done for now, but i mean it im stripping out this lead and coppering it next year, its going to make life eassier long term, hey and i can turn that lead into pigeon shot. :hmm::) What have i got on next week. :lol:

Buy yourself a thread gauge and have a butchers yourself!

If the lads work has been good for those years, don't be too quick to dismiss his opinion.

We have qualified fitters at work! And on MORE than a handful of occasions I have had to show them how to do the task, as it seemed beyond their scope! I am qualified in nothing but farming and warehousing!

Edited by Lord Geordie