20 bore Game shooters - Chokijng and shot (Size & Load)

Robbiep, do you find the 3/4 to tight ? (I know the MK60 is fixed at 1/4 & 3/4 which is why I didn't consider it).

I've missed (and hit) plenty of birds at 20-30 yards, and dropped/missed them cleanly out close to 50 yards. I very much doubt it's the choke that's to blame, rather the idiot holding the gun not giving enough lead.

Question for the 20 bore users, for game:

What are you choked at?

And what shot size and load are you using?

Am thinking 1/4 & 1/4 with 28 gram 5`s. :hmm:

I kind of think that open chokes and large pellets is a strange combination.

I kind of think that open chokes and large pellets is a strange combination.

I thought that too `til someone gave me 100 28g #5.Shot partridge ,grouse & pheasant at all sorts of ranges and was firmly convinced !

Used them in 3 different 20`s with same result .

Not to say 6 & 7`s don`t work too tho`.

Have used cyl & 1/4 in a couple of 20b and they performed well at everything.

Edited by matone

• 3 weeks later...

My 12bore sxs weighs in at 6lb 15oz, and for 15 years nearly all I used was 30gram gambore clear pigeon fibre wad 6's and this seemed run of the mill and plenty of others used this cartridge and pay load that I shot with and beat for.

So in the 20 OU am planing, which matches the sxs weight of 6lb 15oz using 28gram is a step down in payload threw the same weight gun.

Granted for decoying pigeons in the open 21gram or 24 gram am sure would be fine but for: roost shooting, walked rough and driven shooting covering: pigeon, crow, partridge, pheasant and rabbit I would rather have the 28gram.

Edited by salop sniper

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I shoot an MK60 fixed choke 1/4 and 3/4 and just to be different I use a 28g 6 in the open barrel and a 30 or 32g 5 in the top.

Makes for a hard hitting second shot or I can switch barrel if a higher bird comes over.

In the big cartridges I've found the Black Gold 32g and RC Semi-Magnum 32g (plastic wad only) to be great and not too punchy, unlike the Eley VIP in these sizes. The MK60 is quite a heavy 20b though.

Edited by ChrisPCarter