Bit of help needed

iano

The golf course manager called me today in an angry panic.

For the last three nights, something has come and dug up a 10" square hole on a green.

Groundstaff have repaired it and the exact same spot was dug up again the next day. Repaired, and then dug up again.

This happened before and the only way to solve it was to put down a board, but they don't want to do that on a green.

He is hoping that whatever it is could be shot.

Any ideas? The course has rabbits, hares and deer so I'm assuming badgers and foxes also.

Edited by iano

or 10" square holes

They've learned about TSquares!

Hole is about 10"x10". Manager explained that they have a tool for repairing the green which is 10x10 exact, and this was just big enough to replace the grass

They've learned about TSquares!

Hole is about 10"x10". Manager explained that they have a tool for repairing the green which is 10x10 exact, and this was just big enough to replace the grass

You obviously have some very considerate Badgers only digging 10"x10" holes :lol:

Can I suggest the first hole was not 10" square and that after it was repaired (by a 10" tool so to speak) whatever had dug the first hole came back and dug out the repaired 10" section.

This seems more likely and has as been suggested probably a Badger. Lay some sand down and be on the lookout for tracks if no trail cam.

Can I suggest the first hole was not 10" square and that after it was repaired (by a 10" tool so to speak) whatever had dug the first hole came back and dug out the repaired 10" section.

This seems more likely and has as been suggested probably a Badger. Lay some sand down and be on the lookout for tracks if no trail cam.

I'm embarrassed I didn't cop to that. That makes a lot of sense.

I thought badger damage was somewhat random - they root up around them and not just return to the same spot?

hello, a disgruntled golfer!!!!!!

That or the golfcourse across the road!

The soil around the square hole looks heavily padded, can you not see any foot prints? but it looks like the work of a badger.

Prints were in the link above - http://imgur.com/Rre9UlC

Any suggestions for dealing with them? Can't shoot them over here, can't trap them either.

I was thinking a two strand fence around the green attached to a battery fencer for a couple fo weeks - won't impact the green, easy to set up and remove before the players are out and it should get them moving on to somewhere else

Edited by iano

Yep.. electric fence is worth a try and I would peg down some 1" square mesh over the main damage (the large square hole) until the grass as taken root.

Best of luck and keep us posted on the electric fence, it should stop them but some badgers seem immune to pain.

hello, a disgruntled golfer!!!!!!

or ex employee. A small battery transistor radio playing music that the beast doesn't like covered over by a carrier bag might help. set up a line and get a few tin cans. punch two holes in the top and thread the line through put a few small stones in on so that they rattle or aluminium take away trays so that they rattle in the wind. Whatever you do make warning signs so that the dopey golfers dont trip over them or you could get a claim against you. After all you are setting some sort of trap.

or ex employee. A small battery transistor radio playing music that the beast doesn't like covered over by a carrier bag might help. set up a line and get a few tin cans. punch two holes in the top and thread the line through put a few small stones in on so that they rattle or aluminium take away trays so that they rattle in the wind. Whatever you do make warning signs so that the dopey golfers dont trip over them or you could get a claim against you. After all you are setting some sort of trap.

Beastie boys???