BASC writes to M&S

A very good letter from Mr Graffius.

Good article in this weeks ST entitled " Packham condemned for calls to end sale of grouse" page 5. Packham gets a right pasting from the BASC, NGO, CA and the Moorland Association.

I hope the BBC sack the idiot.

It would be nice, but they wont as he hasn't made his claims as far as I'm aware as part of a BBC broadcast, but rather from a personal point of view, which is fair enough. in my opinion. The only part I object to is the misleading and sensationalistic information he spouts to an uninformed general public.

The paper and the RSPCA use some very emotive words in the article and its the sort of thing we could do without, the shooter/s need a kick up the rear end.

"RSPCA inspector Lucy Brennan said: “We are very keen to hear from anybody with any information about how these poor birds were killed and then dumped here in these bins so callously."

I thought the empty cartridge cases would be a clue???

It would be nice, but they wont as he hasn't made his claims as far as I'm aware as part of a BBC broadcast, but rather from a personal point of view, which is fair enough. in my opinion. The only part I object to is the misleading and sensationalistic information he spouts to an uninformed general public.

Of course i respect your personal opinion Scully but I also think there is a lot in what Amanda Anderson ( Director at the Moorland Association) says and I quote:

" Chris Packham is known as a "face" at the BBC and therefore he has an obligation to behave in a manner befitting that organisation, even when not directly employed by it".

He has though made erroneous claims in older programming RE badgers and badger control. Unrelated to Grouse except that during older public broadcasts, he castigated shooting and shooters with emotive and inappropriate language and comments. It will only be a matter of time before he screws up on a broadcast on this subject. Lots of eyes are on him now as he's successfully drawn a lot of attention to himself and is fast making enough rope to hang his future broadcasting career prospects if things continue in this vein.

" Chris Packham is known as a "face" at the BBC and therefore he has an obligation to behave in a manner befitting that organisation, even when not directly employed by it".

Totally agree.....

He has though made erroneous claims in older programming RE badgers and badger control. Unrelated to Grouse except that during older public broadcasts, he castigated shooting and shooters with emotive and inappropriate language and comments. It will only be a matter of time before he screws up on a broadcast on this subject. Lots of eyes are on him now as he's successfully drawn a lot of attention to himself and is fast making enough rope to hang his future broadcasting career prospects if things continue in this vein.

....and with this also, but until he does it on a BBC programme then they (the beeb) will not be obliged to actually take action. I look forward to the day he cocks it up, as he ( hopefully ) one day will. But don't hold your breath thinking it will be the end of his career; it wont. There have been a few big names who have messed it up at the Beeb; the only ones it has affected long term are those who can't attract big audiences.

Edited to add: and those who are in prison of course.

Edited by Scully

This is true, although even if such people do make a comeback elsewhere, their credibility suffers. Trouble is that there are more gullible and uneducated people (should I say "ignorant?") out there on this subject than there are those educated and experienced in this field (who include farmers, landowners and managers, conservationists, environmental scientists and shooters). Such people tend not to consider the credibility of someone like Packham as the issues are too subjectively emotive which encourages them and many others perhaps who've never stepped outside of London (or any other metropolis) to be led by the emotive aspects. That's why it's so important to try and get the message out so that people have the correct information with which to make a balanced judgement. This also necessitates fighting each and every episode of ignorant, emotive and erroneous nonsense spouted by the likes of Packham and his like minded celebs. Brian May's another one who uses celebrity status to spread his views in quite a poisonous manner.

Edited by Savhmr

This is true, although even if such people do make a comeback elsewhere, their credibility suffers. Trouble is that there are more gullible and uneducated people (should I say "ignorant?") out there on this subject than there are those educated and experienced in this field (who include farmers, landowners and managers, conservationists, environmental scientists and shooters). Such people tend not to consider the credibility of someone like Packham as the issues are too subjectively emotive which encourages them and many others perhaps who've never stepped outside of London (or any other metropolis) to be led by the emotive aspects. That's why it's so important to try and get the message out so that people have the correct information with which to make a balanced judgement. This also necessitates fighting each and every episode of ignorant, emotive and erroneous nonsense spouted by the likes of Packham and his like minded celebs. Brian May's another one who uses celebrity status to spread his views in quite a poisonous manner.

Quite agree....all it takes for them to win is for us to do nothing. We need to fight every step of the way.