Hide poles ..

Who makes / sells the best hide poles ..not the cheapest as I'm fed up with carp ones that bust as soon as the ground is anything harder than mud ..ones that can take some treatment when the ground is rock hard as it is down here at the moment ..busted two yesterday trying to push them in while out crow shooting .. I have a couple a pal gave me that are absolutely solid and well made , unfortunately he didn't buy them ( found them in his garage when he bought the place ) and they have no name on them ...what's the best quality ones out there ..please .

Made mine from scrap awning poles off an old caravan awning, just chopped off 7 inch for foot rests to kick them in flattened and cropped the ends and welded the foot rests on, ideal light durable and free apart from a a couple of quids worth of electric and a bit of mig whire.

Have you thought of using a big long shafted flat head screwdriver to make pilot holes with. I wouldn't be without mine. Makes a damn good priest too.

Who makes / sells the best hide poles ..not the cheapest as I'm fed up with carp ones that bust as soon as the ground is anything harder than mud ..ones that can take some treatment when the ground is rock hard as it is down here at the moment ..busted two yesterday trying to push them in while out crow shooting .. I have a couple a pal gave me that are absolutely solid and well made , unfortunately he didn't buy them ( found them in his garage when he bought the place ) and they have no name on them ...what's the best quality ones out there ..please .

Edited by Penelope

My Pinewood poles are over 18 years old now, OK they have a slight curve on 1 or 2 but when using them in strong winds I have a piece of baling twine and a tent peg to support the pole against the wind. I did damage one of them after about 12 months and it was replaced F.O.C. by Pinewood. They are adjustable easily, have a kick plate and are light to carry, the Company is also excellent to deal with. I use 2 long and 2 short and they cover all of my hide situations. The only other items I have are 2 extending alloy bank sticks which are fitted with 22mm plastic pipe clips, I also have a length of 22mm plastic overflow, cut in half and fitted with a push fit coupling. If I need a roof net I thread the plastic pipe through the end of plastic scrim and drape the scrim over the back of the hide. The pipe then snaps into the clips fitted to the bank sticks, which can then be adjusted for height.

I used to use these when the ground was hard...............

61HDlCLC0wL._SX355_.jpg

They were a couple of quid each from a fishing tackle shop. Just put your pole in the tube after you've trodden the spike into the ground.

Another thing to consider are horse fence posts. They come in a range of sizes, made out of plastic and have a strong spike at the bottom. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/pack-of-5-plastic-posts-160-cm-id_8112495.html Fourteen quid for five. You need to peg them in strong winds as they are a tad bendy.

I agree with Westley , as a bought hide pole I found Pinewood way ahead of the others , which I have tried and tested most of the run of the mill ones from the game fairs , another thing I like with the Pinewood ones are the Vs on the top that make getting your net off dead easy compared with ones that look like a G ,

I did break one once at the kick plate and I was more than willing to pay for one but when I told the chap at the C L A Game Fair he replaced it free of charge and gave me 4 new plastic domes that go inside the poles to tighten them up free of charge , Brilliant service .

Have you thought of using a big long shafted flat head screwdriver to make pilot holes with. I wouldn't be without mine. Makes a damn good priest too.

Yep ,put one in the bag ..It's amazing how much kit you need , it's getting like my old carp fishing days ..

My Pinewood poles are over 18 years old now, OK they have a slight curve on 1 or 2 but when using them in strong winds I have a piece of baling twine and a tent peg to support the pole against the wind. I did damage one of them after about 12 months and it was replaced F.O.C. by Pinewood. They are adjustable easily, have a kick plate and are light to carry, the Company is also excellent to deal with. I use 2 long and 2 short and they cover all of my hide situations. The only other items I have are 2 extending alloy bank sticks which are fitted with 22mm plastic pipe clips, I also have a length of 22mm plastic overflow, cut in half and fitted with a push fit coupling. If I need a roof net I thread the plastic pipe through the end of plastic scrim and drape the scrim over the back of the hide. The pipe then snaps into the clips fitted to the bank sticks, which can then be adjusted for height.

The pinewood poles are looking favourite at the moment ..from what I've seen they look like the real deal ..

Pinewood for me to, though I do have a second set that were given to me by a retired shooter. They are probably about 20 years old, light and strong but I have no idea who makes those ones.

If I was buying again, I'd get the Pinewood ones as these have also been excellent. I especially like the mechanism on them where you can just pull them up or push them down without having to twist a thingy or unscrew a whatsit, this is especially handy if like me you often adjust them whilst in the hide or even if you just want to peak over the net whilst seated where you have lost sight of a bird as it comes in.

Cos