Opening the pop holes?

Fox grid, use weldmesh with gaps about 3 inches wide, AND a good electric fence.

Inside on most of my pens I have a ring of rabbit wire about 150mm high, so incomers go through the fox grid in the main fence then have to hop over the rabbit wire. The rabbit wire stops birds walking out of the pens.

I have one pen with tunnels, these I close down to about 50mm of the ground for a week or so. It is important to keep your birds at home until the crops come off but with clipped birds that should not be a problem.

I have looked to see if I can find some of the mesh I used without success, maybe it was concrete enforcing mesh. I acquired mine from a building site maybe 20 years ago and could now do with some more.

A

Sorry to hear that, is the pen near any roads or foot paths? Happened on our shoot several years ago, but the rumours said it was revenge against the farmer at the time after an argument in the local pub. Haven't had any trouble before or since then. We keep our pens locked now, won't stop anyone, but makes it a little bit more difficult

Academic now, as it appears we may have been robbed, best part of 250 poults have vanished between 1pm on Sunday and 6pm last night when one of the guns did his rota to check, feed and water. Pen is all intact, pop holes closed, wings clipped.

Have you been far and wide with a dog?

Problem with pop holes closed is if any predator strikes inside the pen and the birds fly over the wire your stuffed!

Wing clipped or not poults will still make it over the wire.

As a working man's DIY syndicate it's difficult to get the time off at such short notice. No one lives on the doorstep. One member was hopefully going up this morning with his spaniel, if he was rained off that is.

In truth, it's unlikely we'll find out what has gone on.

Have you been far and wide with a dog?
Problem with pop holes closed is if any predator strikes inside the pen and the birds fly over the wire your stuffed!
Wing clipped or not poults will still make it over the wire.

Yes to both. Both our pens are padlocked.

Personally, I think Charlie has scared them witless and they have gone over the wire, with the pop holes closed any wanting to get back in couldn't. Consensus from the majority was to keep the pop holes closed for a few days.

Sorry to hear that, is the pen near any roads or foot paths? Happened on our shoot several years ago, but the rumours said it was revenge against the farmer at the time after an argument in the local pub. Haven't had any trouble before or since then. We keep our pens locked now, won't stop anyone, but makes it a little bit more difficult

Edited by Penelope

As a working man's DIY syndicate it's difficult to get the time off at such short notice. No one lives on the doorstep. One member was hopefully going up this morning with his spaniel, if he was rained off that is.

In truth, it's unlikely we'll find out what has gone on.

Yes to both. Both our pens are padlocked.

Personally, I think Charlie has scared them witless and they have gone over the wire, with the pop holes closed any wanting to get back in couldn't. Consensus from the majority was to keep the pop holes closed for a few days.

You're probably right, especially if the pen is intact and the pad locks are still on. 250 poults would take a fair bit of catching and moving, if someone had taken them you would be able to see the evidence inside and outside the pen.

Plus having no time to heft to the pen, having only been there for less than 24 hours.

You're probably right, especially if the pen is intact and the pad locks are still on. 250 poults would take a fair bit of catching and moving, if someone had taken them you would be able to see the evidence inside and outside the pen.

• 3 weeks later...

One way pop holes work well. The birds glide out of the from the trees where they roost but find their way back or are walked back by whoever is carrying out the daily check.Works well on our shoot.Sorry to hear you lost your birds .We lost a complete pen full a couple of years ago as did our neighbour.

Whilst on my feeding rota last week I saw a good number of poults about in a couple of areas where the birds in the pens would not be, so it looks as though some of the escapees are still about. We have put a few feeders out in these areas and now that the straw went down in the rides in the pen woods on Saturday, scattering some feed on there too.